12 Posts

Legendary: Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Patrol a Fortified Spot rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carnilius IV
msg tools
mb
What happens if you Patrol a Fortified spot? Is it empty, or not? Fortify says on or near. I could see arguments both ways. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
I would personally view a fortified spot as empty. A fortify spot has been modified, not occupied. Unless the fortify effect says otherwise, Villains still move in and out of the spot.

If the streets were fortified but has no villain in it, and you played a card that patrolled the streets to see if they were empty, it should activate.

I could see the argument the other way too, but this is the way my game group does it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a GREAT question that could use an official answer. We haven't had many of those for a very long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I say it's occupied. According to the rules, the card needs to be placed on or near the spot that it fortifies. It's obviously not empty since it physically occupies that city space.

Then again, I am not the game designer and I could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
Ovidutz wrote:
I say it's occupied. According to the rules, the card needs to be placed on or near the spot that it fortifies. It's obviously not empty since it physically occupies that city space.

But what if you put it near? Then it doesn't physically occupy he space? So is then dependent where you put it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jhochges wrote:
Ovidutz wrote:

But what if you put it near? Then it doesn't physically occupy he space? So is then dependent where you put it?

I think the word "near" was intended for the other places that can be fortified which can be difficult to handle if the card was on top (wound stack, player deck, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
Ovidutz wrote:
jhochges wrote:
Ovidutz wrote:

I think the word "near" was intended for the other places that can be fortified which can be difficult to handle if the card was on top (wound stack, player deck, etc.)

This does seem to be one of the questions in a while that requires an official answer from Upper Deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
J Brenner
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
I guess I have to concede here. According to whomever handles the Legendary Facebook page, a fortified spot counts as occupied. Official answer:

"Patrol is defined as 'When you play that card, you can use that ability only if that space has no cards in it'. A Fortified space has a card in it."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carnilius IV
msg tools
mb
Still not sure. What about when a Scheme fortifies a space? Thematically, that feels pretty different from patrolling a space fortified by a Villain/Mastermind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really - the UD interpretation applies there too. Just imagine that the city space is occupied with paraphernalia for the villains, waiting for them to come. As as far as I'm concerned, that explanation works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mb
carnilius wrote:
Still not sure. What about when a Scheme fortifies a space? Thematically, that feels pretty different from patrolling a space fortified by a Villain/Mastermind.

Yeah, it doesn't seem quite right to me too, but that's the answer from the horses mouth. I asked them about the situation where Authoritarian Iron Man fortifies a space. He's not really in that spot because a villain can enter it. If you defeat a Master Mind tactic and he's fortifying the Rooftops, you don't get to draw extra cards with say, Blade's uncommon. But, UD says so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.