Hide
4 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: purchasing goods at island with an active colony? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe fakelastnameson
msg tools
A couple of questions I think I know the answers to, but figured I'd post them here.

1. Do you need a ship present at an island where you have an active colony to purchase goods there?

2. Can goods purchased at an island where you have a colony be placed directly in the warehouse there or do you have to take a sail action before you can transfer them there?

I suspect you do need a ship there, and you do have to wait for a sail action to transfer them to the colony warehouse, but thematically that didn't make too much sense so I thought I'd ask the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not seeing any ambiguity in the rules here. Buy goods is a "ship must be present" action, and the goods go onto your ships. You may not like the rules or think they make sense, but I think they are clear.

If you've unlocked colonies, then you're also using Rule 8 which does also relate to goods and colonies, correct? But it doesn't change the "Buy goods" action; it just creates a new mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe fakelastnameson
msg tools
Yeah, like I said that was my thought as well. The rules seem pretty clear.

One of our players asked, and while it's fairly cut and dry, thematically not being able to purchase goods where you have a colony present seemed strange because you do have a presence on the island.

But a "presence" is not a ship and you need a ship to buy. Cool, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
shadysjunk wrote:

One of our players asked, and while it's fairly cut and dry, thematically not being able to purchase goods where you have a colony present seemed strange because you do have a presence on the island.

If it helps, you can think of the buy action as an oversimplification of a more complex process. It's more than the mere act of purchase. It's not like you're just buying a basket of fabric when you are buying linen. You are buying a consignment large enough to fill a small cargo hold. This may require negotiating with multiple sellers, dealing with taxes and tariffs, hiring porters, and the actual very involved and lengthy process of loading and securing the cargo, Also ships that stay out to sea for long periods of time usually give their crew some form of leave when they arrive in port before they set off again, while the ship may undergo light maintenance, restock goods, update maps, etc. Some of that process might be able to be started before the ship is in dock (and there is no reason why you should assume it's not happening), but a good portion of it would not be possible without the ship and captain present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.