28.6% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

England
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi, without further ado:

I had an interesting situation in my Normandy '44 game tonight.

I wanted to attack 6/6 Gliders with my 12th SS in MAF event though it would gain neither an armor shift nor TQ shift, and what's worse its strength would be halved due to attacking out of flooded hex (the same as it prohibits armor shifts BTW). I pulled 711th Inf Div to help them out, along with OST batallion.

But hey, wait...

Instead of making my precious 12th SS vulnerable to step loss, I could
somehow circumvent it by letting the OST Bat lead the way. And yea, it worked.

Let's count:

MAF 12th SS: 7 strength pts, REST OF UNITS: 8 strength pts
Enemy 5 pts + 2 DCB = 7, so it's 2:1. Artillery support makes it 3:1.

With OST Battalion in MAF:

MAF: 2 pts, rest of units: 14 = 16 pts attack strength vs 7 of defence. The only thing is, it moves one column left due to negative TQ, but

In result, OST batallion eventually vaporized (brave soldiers) saving precious 25/12th SS Panzergrenadier regiment from step loss (which it otherwise would have taken, be it at 2:1, or 3:1 odds). 6/6 Gliders couldn't succeed with DD roll, so it had to retreat getting away from tightening up encirclement. And that's all folks.

The point of the whole lecture is, that Players may tend to select the strongest Units for the MAF, while the game may bring a wide variety of different situations, that even the smallest and crapiest OST Battalion may save the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is one of the best parts of the game: trying to put together an attack inside all of that strength-halving terrain and finding good odds.

With some heavy support, all you really need is one battalion attacking over dry ground.

A lot of fun, this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Clever game. Very enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for illustrating the MAF concept. One of the MANY reasons to love this game. Ive parted with many games over the years. This one however will always be a part of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Salvato

New York
msg tools
To be considered part of the MAF, The OST unit has to be stacked with one of the 12SS units. 10.3.2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.