Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you guys think we'll see anyone here from Voyager?

Like the Kazon? Or other species that I can't think of, because my Star Trek knowledge isn't super great?

I know people think Borg will be in it, but that doesn't really count, because they send cubes to Alpha Quadrant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Nazzari
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eventually I do see stuff from Gamma and Delta Quadrents joining it.

Delta had Kazan, species 8472, hirogeon, and many more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
captds9e wrote:
Eventually I do see stuff from Gamma and Delta Quadrents joining it.

Delta had Kazan, species 8472, hirogeon, and many more.

Those are Vidiians are the main ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if i recall correctly it was said this game will encompass all of star trek so that includes voyager

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Borg are 100% guaranteed to make an appearance. The problem with most of the other delta quadrant factions is that they're pretty much all very local powers. None of them even come close to rivaling the expansiveness or the stability of the alpha quadrant powers.

Kazon: Dumb Klingons, who aren't even a united faction. Each kazon ship/fleet is its own self-contained political climate. They aren't a suitable race for Ascendancy because they have no real concept of society on the scale that Ascendancy assumes.

Hirogen: Blue Predators. They hunt prey. And..... that's the sum total of the race's characterization. I don't recall if they even have anything resembling a centralized government.

Vidiians: Sick people. Again, not anything like the galactic superpowers we see elsewhere, vidiians are effectively thugs. They don't operate on galactic scales. Also, their disease is the entire definition of their race, so like the hirogen, they're not well developed as a culture.

Species 8472 (The Undine): This guys I can definitely see as a galactic power, though their origin in another dimension would pose some difficulty in implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Novacat wrote:

Kazon: Dumb Klingons, who aren't even a united faction. Each kazon ship/fleet is its own self-contained political climate. They aren't a suitable race for Ascendancy because they have no real concept of society on the scale that Ascendancy assumes.

This is the only one I know that I can respond to, because I'm currently rewatching Voyager and haven't seen the other ones yet.

But I think they'd work. Their negative faction ability could easily play off of the sects. Like, if they have too many ships in a system, they get minuses. Or each fleet could be a different sect and they might not allowed to be in the same system.

I mean, if the Ferengi can rival the Romulans in this game, so can the Kazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Snowless11 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

This is the only one I know that I can respond to, because I'm currently rewatching Voyager and haven't seen the other ones yet.

But I think they'd work. Their negative faction ability could easily play off of the sects. Like, if they have too many ships in a system, they get minuses. Or each fleet could be a different sect and they might not allowed to be in the same system.

The Ferengi actually have a fleet, a well organized government, and a lot of mercenaries. People tend to forget that a lot of Ferengi are pirates as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh Hey! That's "Privateers," mate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GF9 has the rights to all the Star Trek stuff TV and movies except the JJ Abrams reboot movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
Snowless11 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

The Ferengi actually have a fleet, a well organized government, and a lot of mercenaries. People tend to forget that a lot of Ferengi are pirates as well.

Plus at least some D'Kora class marauders were equivalent in strength to a Galaxy-class starship. Although I kind of get the feeling that Ferengi captains are responsible for their own ship maintenance and equipment, so it might depend on how much an individual captain invests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowless11 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

the kazon use captured ships and captured thechnology that they took from the race that kept them as slaves (dont remember the name), they cant properly build them themselves and are too disorganized to work as a structured galaxy-wide civilization. not quite a faction that could fit in ascendancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kazon would be immune to any Borg NPC though. That could be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
I think it'd be a shame to waste the Dominion on an NPC, we've seen so much of them through DS9 that as far as coming with a pro, a con, technology, ships, systems etc, they'd be far more effective as a regular expansion. We're already scraping the barrel trying to think of decent races past the current expansions. I mean, the Kazon? Who's gonna come round on BG night and say "oh hey can I please be the Kazon"? Only downside with the Dominion is it doesn't really make sense to have either the wormhole or the Founders home world having cities, research centres of production factories on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eon Chao
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Angelsenior wrote:
Snowless11 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

the kazon use captured ships and captured thechnology that they took from the race that kept them as slaves (dont remember the name), they cant properly build them themselves and are too disorganized to work as a structured galaxy-wide civilization. not quite a faction that could fit in ascendancy.

They've already said we're getting the Andorians and one of the cards refers to the Tholians neither of which had a huge amount of exposure in the show. Kazon could work, after all they have a society just a fractured one, but there's nothing to suggest that you're not playing one Maje's sect and it's Ascendancy.

Kazon Negative Ability:
Scattered race
You may not generate research from research nodes. You may build culture and production nodes on research node slots.

Kazon Positive Ability:
Steal their technology
Whenever you succesfully conquer or hegemony a planet with a constructed research node you may draw two Advancements and put one into play.

Starting Advancement:
Captured Trabe Ships:
Once per turn you may spend 1 production to produce 2 Ships
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
For Delta and Gamma quadrant I can see them as independent system stacks with possible their own exploration cards, or new cards that have an extra effect if in a quadrant that matches the system.

For quadrant system I can see a rule that doesn't allow for space lanes to connect (because of the vast distance between them). Instead you have like a sub sector of the map. You have a few systems that are either delta or gamma quadrant (depending on which faction is being played) that are separate from the main map and cannot connect to the main alpha/beta systems. There may be some ways to connect like a Bajoran Wormhole Alpha and Gamma system that you could use to travel between the systems, and a special 5 space transwarp conduit for the borg to move from the delta to the alpha/beta quadrant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.