Subject: Two players variant: the W T F of the YEAR! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter 12: in a two player game don't use "the casualties of war" cards.

W T F !

It's the core mechanic of the f^!/;, GAME!
Without the presnece of this card on the setting, the game becomes pure "luck of the draws".

Awfully bloated decks, no control, no fun, it drags on and on, it's a PATHETIC JOKE!

We even laughed to tears when we drew our hands "ohhhh all gold! ooohhhh aaaaalll defenders, aaaaah what a GAME!"

Who the hell came out with such a blatant error?

Once we got back to the normal rules the game is really good.
I can't imagine how this entered the rules, even worse than the German page in the French rules if you want my opinion XD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, have only played it solo and haven't tried it at other player counts yet... but the solo game (after 3 plays) seems pretty bad as well. Only 3 events means there's too heavy of an importance placed on the opening die roll and mitigating terror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
solanthos wrote:
FWIW, have only played it solo and haven't tried it at other player counts yet... but the solo game (after 3 plays) seems pretty bad as well. Only 3 events means there's too heavy of an importance placed on the opening die roll and mitigating terror.

If it is half as bad as the two-player variant I'd advise the designer to produce an erratum ASAP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
brunogaia wrote:
solanthos wrote:

If it is half as bad as the two-player variant I'd advise the designer to produce an erratum ASAP!

Come to think of it the solo and two-player variants really make me feel like they are something that was tacked quickly to the rules so that the game would "appeal to more audience"

The game is balanced and a great alternative to/replacement for "Thunderstones" as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Jeffrey Lai
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Isaiah 53:5
badge
I'm not a real person. Just a cartoon character.
mbmbmbmbmb
Casualty of War... It's actually not a core mechanic but an element that changes in 2-player mode to create a unique variant for less players.

For solo, the 3 Events were set so that gameplay can be hard, slightly uncertain, but ultimately challenging and rewarding.

In both cases, playtest over the months resulted in what felt like a nice twist for those special scenerios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
I actually played the solo and 2-player variants. I think they're fine as is. One terror in the deck to start isn't too unbearable, and it really makes you think about what cards to get since getting actions that let you gain more cards means you start burning through more terrors. After a few tries, I finally beat it on medium.

As for the 2-player variant, my friend and I didn't run into too many problems. Since we're moving along so fast, the bought cards-to-original 12 card ratio sky rockets quickly, so we wouldn't necessarily need to trash cards since we're generally pulling what we need after a few turns of buying and building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.