$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 105.96

6,615 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Yomi (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combining off a "Throw" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Just want to make sure I have this correct.

You can only combine a "normal" ATTACK card, LINKER or ENDER when you play a THROW card.
Can you then combine a THROW card off that ATTACK card, etc. etc. etc.?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because throws are "starters", "enders", or "can't combo". As far as I can remember, there aren't any "linker" throws. So the only such combo could be a throw that's a starter comboing into an ender throw (such as Setsuki's Starlight Tumbler).
This is in addition to the rules concerning comboing sequentially-numbered normals.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Heikkilä
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
As far as I can remember, there aren't any "linker" throws.


Zane's throws are linkers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, sorry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
To reiterate: There is nothing special about "throws" regarding their comboability. They work like the regular type they have (ie: Starter, Ender or Linker).
Most regular throws are starters and thus can't be comboed off of anything.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The italic help text on all the normal cards that says what they can combo into and out of helps a lot for getting the hang of the combo system. Have you noticed it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
SirHandsome wrote:
The italic help text on all the normal cards that says what they can combo into and out of helps a lot for getting the hang of the combo system. Have you noticed it?


Yep. I believe I understand it.

What I was actually asking was, did I have it correct in that what determines what kind of move you can next lay on your combo is what the LAST COMBO CARD WAS, and NOT what the STARTING card limits you to? (Taking into account your available combo points..and with the exception of if the starting card was a "Dodge" which limits you to just adding one card to it, Enders, etc).


Example.
I start combat with a 7 "Throw" and win.
Per instructions, I can now only combo into a "Normal Attack (level 8)", a Linker or an Ender.

Lets say I combo into an 8 "Normal Attack" or a Linker, am I still limited to being only able to then combo into a "Normal Attack", Linker or Ender, or can I then add another "Throw" to the combo?

We started out playing the game thinking if you won a "Throw" you could only ever combo "Normal Attack" cards on top of it.
Likewise, we, ignored the limitation of NOT being able to combo a "Throw" directly on top of another "Throw without a "Normal Attack" or "Linker" in between.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
It's always the last card played that determines what can be played next.
If you win combat with a throw and then play an 8 attack, only the 8 attack matters regarding what you can play next. What came before is of no further importance.


Also, you can combo any normal attack after a (regular "starter") 7 throw, not just the 8. The same as with other non-throw starters.
You can combo into throws, provided they are linkers or enders, as linkers and enders can follow up on anything, apart from an ender. Same as with other linkers and enders.
So you can't combo into most normal throws, as they are starters and can't ever follow up on anything else. The same as for other non-throw starters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
RindFisch wrote:
It's always the last card played that determines what can be played next.
If you win combat with a throw and then play an 8 attack, only the 8 attack matters regarding what you can play next. What came before is of no further importance.


Also, you can combo any normal attack after a (regular "starter") 7 throw, not just the 8. The same as with other non-throw starters.
You can combo into throws, provided they are linkers or enders, as linkers and enders can follow up on anything, apart from an ender. Same as with other linkers and enders.
So you can't combo into most normal throws, as they are starters and can't ever follow up on anything else. The same as for other non-throw starters.


Ah. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I just noticed that some of the characters "Normal Attacks" don't seem to combo into a non-linker/ender move.
ie, Arg's 6 "Attack" states it "Combos into a Linker or an Ender", and not "Combo's into a 7, Linker or and Ender".
Here I thought all "Normal Attack" cards (unless a linker/starter/ender) could combo into the next numerically higher "Normal Attack" card.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
I just noticed that some of the characters "Normal Attacks" don't seem to combo into a non-linker/ender move.
ie, Arg's 6 "Attack" states it "Combos into a Linker or an Ender", and not "Combo's into a 7, Linker or and Ender".
Here I thought all "Normal Attack" cards (unless a linker/starter/ender) could combo into the next numerically higher "Normal Attack" card.


Those characters must have a 7 that isn't a "normal" attack. I'm sure you'll find that is the case if you check.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
Lowden025 wrote:
I just noticed that some of the characters "Normal Attacks" don't seem to combo into a non-linker/ender move.
ie, Arg's 6 "Attack" states it "Combos into a Linker or an Ender", and not "Combo's into a 7, Linker or and Ender".
Here I thought all "Normal Attack" cards (unless a linker/starter/ender) could combo into the next numerically higher "Normal Attack" card.


Those characters must have a 7 that isn't a "normal" attack. I'm sure you'll find that is the case if you check.


Little details like this is just one of the reasons why I love the design on the cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Arg's 7 is a throw/block. There's no normal attack on it.
You obviously can't combo into a move that doesn't exist, so the help text omits the 7 here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.