Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Calder
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the Delve Quest last night with 4 characters. We had our good rolls and bad but the quest was relatively manageable and thought the difficulty was on par, not too easy or hard.

Then we spawned the Abomination through his Nemesis effect and the game fell apart. We first tried to ignore him, but he was too powerful. Anything you do to "move the quest forward" (i.e. explore, attack) resulted with him in your face exhausting actions, doing damage, etc.

I felt even when we focused solely on the Abomination, it would have taken way beyond the red peril effect to defeat him with his high resilience and necessary resting/aiding to deal with him.

And if you get through that we probably had 3 more locations to get through where it would be impossible to heal due to the new peril effect and dealing with tier 2/3 monster effects. This all resulted from a die roll that really can't be controlled that spawned him early.

I was looking for some feedback on other plays after the FFG FAQ with the "fix". It seems a lot of the strategy discussion on the forums was before the new rule was put in place. Thanks all!

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this earlier but didn't reply because I've only played the Delve Quest once. I'm surprised no one else has replied though.

Here's my

As in most of the quests, speed is necessary to win. You have 11 turns before Unkel shows up and puts the Abomination on deck. You'll want to have at least six locations explored by then, maybe even seven. 3-5 turns to get through the three Tier I locations and 5-6 turns to get through the three Tier II locations.

You will roll a nemesis result sometime during the turn when Unkel spawns, spawning the Abomination. It's not a flaw in the game, it's by design. The dice hate you just as much as they hate everyone else and the designers knew this. You have to be in a position to race through the last two locations or die. You'll have five turns before the "no healing" fix/Red Peril comes into play.

Don't forget that Aiding can be just as effective as Exploring and doesn't draw the attention of the Abomination. I'm sure you knew this but it's worth stating. Two members aiding while the other two fight/explore and you may get out alive.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Calder
United States
Freehold
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robertg611 wrote:
I saw this earlier but didn't reply because I've only played the Delve Quest once. I'm surprised no one else has replied though.

Here's my

As in most of the quests, speed is necessary to win. You have 11 turns before Unkel shows up and puts the Abomination on deck. You'll want to have at least six locations explored by then, maybe even seven. 3-5 turns to get through the three Tier I locations and 5-6 turns to get through the three Tier II locations.

You will roll a nemesis result sometime during the turn when Unkel spawns, spawning the Abomination. It's not a flaw in the game, it's by design. The dice hate you just as much as they hate everyone else and the designers knew this. You have to be in a position to race through the last two locations or die. You'll have five turns before the "no healing" fix/Red Peril comes into play.

Don't forget that Aiding can be just as effective as Exploring and doesn't draw the attention of the Abomination. I'm sure you knew this but it's worth stating. Two members aiding while the other two fight/explore and you may get out alive.

Good Luck!

Good stuff! I assumed this was the way to go now that you can't park and whack away at the Abomination. The older threads were focused on taking him down, but were from awhile back before the release of the FAQ. Just curious, did you win your Delve quest? How many characters?

Anyone else give a try with the new rule introduced in the FAQ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
I played solo with all four characters and I did win. I had already played the campaign so I knew the characters pretty well.

I did make a mistake by bringing Unkel out as soon as I started the Tier II locations instead of waiting for the Blue Peril. As a result, I was fighting the Abomination very early as well but ended up killing it after four rounds of fighting. I then rushed through the two Tier III locations for the win.

In some ways it was harder than it should have been but in others it may have been easier. I'll take the win anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
braytak wrote:
We played the Delve Quest last night with 4 characters. We had our good rolls and bad but the quest was relatively manageable and thought the difficulty was on par, not too easy or hard.

Then we spawned the Abomination through his Nemesis effect and the game fell apart.

I came to the WHQ forums to post about this same exact issue. My question: In the Delve quest, is everyone 100% certain that the Abomination's nemesis effect is supposed to bring him into play when he's in the lair?

That's the way that we've always played it (including an hour ago - hence this post), but we've now been absolutely destroyed by the Abomination in four consecutive Delve games. Invariably, after the blue peril event, the Abomination gets spawned on the very first black die roll, and then the combination of Abomination and Level III monsters quickly wipes everyone out - no matter how well we were doing beforehand.

So, I dunno. Maybe that is the rule. But an early Abomination spawn makes the Delve quest more annoying than fun. Even downright oppressive.

Having been repeatedly ground into Abomination foot dust, I wonder if - in the Delve quest - the designer's intention was that the Abomination's nemesis effect only occurs if it is already in play (i.e., after the red event "officially" spawns the Abomination), and not before.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ok wrote:
The Abomination cannot engage with the heroes until he is in the Nemesis Lair. The Abomination enters the Nemesis Lair when Peril reaches the blue space.

Yes, when the peril track hits Blue, the peril track marker goes back 3 spaces and the Abomination is placed in the lair.

My frustration is that - after the blue event, through bad luck - we always immediately spawn the Abomination on the very next roll of the black dice, which means he's in play for quite a while and inevitably kills us.

What I was wondering was whether the designer only intended the Abomination to engage the heroes when the peril track hits the red event - and not before.

I suspect that the designers are just sadistic, and that we've been playing correctly (Abomination can spawn anytime after blue event). That's not been fun for us, so we may try a variant to make it more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.