Subject: Attacking Reinforcements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sir Tobey
Germany
Greifswald
flag msg tools
Hello,

well it is rather a question of understandning than a pure rule question. I`m at the outset of GT4 of the Enough scenario (standard game). India gets two Artillery brigades arriving as one stack. Pakistan gets three Brigades of chinese airborne brigades. Pakistan has the Initiative, so I want paradrop the airborne brigades right beneath the Arillery brigades and attack them. On any given counter attack afterwards and after taking losses I retreat them via Airmobile movement. With a force ratio of 3:1 and two column shifts due ER it would be not too difficult to destroy the Indian Artillery stack. It seemed me too easy just to hit and run, while the other player couldn`t do anything to prevent this, for example park the artillery brigades with others. So have I missed out anything or would this be in line with the rules to attack a reinforcing stack, just after apperaring on the map?

thanks for answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
The Reinforcements for Game Turn 4 arrive during the Reinforcement and Replacement Phase of Game Turn 4. So the Indian artillery units, and Chinese reinforcements for turn 4, arrive basically after all movement and combat is done in Game Turn 4. The Artillery Brigades could be attacked in turn 5 by paradrop assuming the Chinese side has initiative and can make it through the ADA/AAA fire.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the Chinese Airborne units could move onto the map during the Reinforcement and Replacement Phase via Air Transport per GSR 8.2.1. Or they could be placed in the Chinese Holding Box to be committed during turn 5. I should have been a bit more specific in my last post. There is no way to attack land units during the Reinforcement/Replacement Phase.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux
Canada
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BooBoo130 wrote:
The Reinforcements for Game Turn 4 arrive during the Reinforcement and Replacement Phase of Game Turn 4. So the Indian artillery units, and Chinese reinforcements for turn 4, arrive basically after all movement and combat is done in Game Turn 4. The Artillery Brigades could be attacked in turn 5 by paradrop assuming the Chinese side has initiative and can make it through the ADA/AAA fire.

I think it Sir Tobey refers to the PRC 43rd AB division which is GT3 reinforcement and the 42nd and 43rd ROI Arty Bde which are GT3 reinforcement.

PRC can airdrop up to 4 SP so the drop part is fine.

Retreat via airmobile will depend on airbase/airfield availability for range (24 hex from airfield to unit and then on to destination.) With ADF at the pickup location and/or at the landing location, if applicable.

Obviously if there's an EZOC applying to the pickup hex, the paratroopers can't be evac'd during the exploitation movement segment. The ROI player may be able to cause this to happen during the elite reaction phase.

This tactic is only possible during an initiative turn. Bit surprised that IROP got the initiative in GT4 of Enough!. Combat would be on the 13 column so pretty darn bloody but still a 30% chance of losing a step of paratroopers and an almost 50% chance that one of the arty brigade survives.

EDIT: Just realized this was retreat via Airmobile that was being discussed. If the ROI manages to inflict an actual retreat result that would work but the retreat destination needs to be an airfield or air base and that limits the available retreat routes quite a bit. Make sure you count out the retreat range carefully before you commit. Lahore air field and Sialkot airbase are probably OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stueber
United States
Vernon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
BRAINS????
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake. I actually didn't look at the scenario as I thought the concern was can reinforcements be brought onto the map and used in a combat during the reinforcement and replacement phase.

Sorry about that!!

Yes, the PRC Airborne units could airdrop during whichever movement segment they can legally move. Then they could retreat via airmobile movement to any friendly airbase/field in range of the airmobile movement, assuming they get a Retreat result during the combat. As an attacker they don't get Retreat results. They could move via airmobile movement in another movement segment assuming there are airmobile points available and it is not the Exploitation Segment and they are in an EZOC. They would undergo ADF doing this.

Of course if I may be reading too much into the question...blush

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Tobey
Germany
Greifswald
flag msg tools
I have to admit that I was unprecisely about the reinforcements, AlexCV is right, they arrived in the reinforcement phase of GT 3.
Yes IROP got the initiative, beacuse of shooting down two helicopters and recapture a town in Kashmir. 6 VP were hard to overcome for the ROI and since it was a contested turn before, IROP got the Inititative.

Thanks for the help, the airmobile retreat would be in the case of attacks in the Reaction combat segment. Or retreat them anyway later.
The chinese will take some lossses, but if succesful, the lines around Sialkot and Lahore will take much less casualities in the future turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.