$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 92.84

6,004 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.8% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is Dark City still "Thee" must have Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I just picked up Legendary a few weeks ago and we're enjoying it. I currently just have the main box. I'd like to pick up an expansion but don't plan on getting more than one or two (I'd like everything to fit in the main box).

From reading on the forums here it's obvious that Dark City has been a must have expansion for some time. .Is it still the best one to get if you don't plan on picking up many others? I'll probably get Guardians of the Galaxy as well just for the heroes as my family loves the movie.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Yes it is.

Then get just the small box expansions and you will be fine.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Dark city will get you the most bang for your buck. Plus it best rounds out the core Marvel universe.

Where the others are either small boxes or are large boxes that deal with time specific events (Secret Wars / Civil Wars) and you will have heroes fighting heroes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
So I just picked up Legendary a few weeks ago and we're enjoying it. I currently just have the main box. I'd like to pick up an expansion but don't plan on getting more than one or two (I'd like everything to fit in the main box).

From reading on the forums here it's obvious that Dark City has been a must have expansion for some time. .Is it still the best one to get if you don't plan on picking up many others? I'll probably get Guardians of the Galaxy as well just for the heroes as my family loves the movie.


If you want to keep everything in one box, you could either go Dark City plus 1-2 small expansions, or all the small expansions plus the upcoming Deadpool.

I have Dark City, GotG, PtTR, Captain America 75th and the base game. I sleeve my cards using Ultra-Pro Pro-Fit and I need to keep a significant amount of cards in my Dark City box. I'd say you can fit almost 1000 cards sleeved in the main box, which would be Base+DC plus 1-2 small expansions, or Base + all the small expansions.

Our family just got the bundle about a month ago and honestly, I haven't used much of the expansions yet to give you a well rounded review. We've dabbled in DC and PtTR, but haven't yet used any of the cards from Captain America or GotG. Dark City is very cool though because I like using Ice Man, Punisher, and I like playing with female heroes to get my daughter interested, so Jean Gray and Elektra are also interesting characters to play for us.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm not gonna compare Dark City with other big boxes, but I'll just leave this here and leave you decide...you should read a couple of review for all expansions. this is my review for Civil War, which i strongly recommend as THE big box expansion for marvel legendary. make of it what you want!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1630322/not-cult-new-syndro...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knutson
msg tools
mbmbmb
In a word.....yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dog
msg tools
Secret Wars. Dark City is just "more of the same."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. Dark City should be your first expansion. From there, it's up to what you're looking for. So far, I recommend them all, but they don't have to be in release order.

FWIW, here's my order of favorites --> https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23498053#23498053
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks all, I think I'll go with Dark City then. I don't like the idea of Heroes as masterminds so we'll probably avoid Civil War.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think you'll buy just 2 expansions. You will love the game and you will want more and more For this reason I am not even going to bother to make suggestions
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ovidutz wrote:
I don't think you'll buy just 2 expansions. You will love the game and you will want more and more For this reason I am not even going to bother to make suggestions


Hah, you're probably right.. Best laid plans and all.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boutilier
Canada
Upper Tantallon
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: JUST PLAYING SOLO....

I like Spiderman and his villains.
I want to get Paint he Town Red. But STOP there.

DO I NEED Dark City with the Base game?
Or is Base + Spidey ok ?

thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slydog75 wrote:
Ovidutz wrote:
I don't think you'll buy just 2 expansions. You will love the game and you will want more and more :) For this reason I am not even going to bother to make suggestions :p


Hah, you're probably right.. Best laid plans and all.


Good luck on that Fantastic Four expansion :whistle:
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgb7 wrote:
Question: JUST PLAYING SOLO....

I like Spiderman and his villains.
I want to get Paint he Town Red. But STOP there.

DO I NEED Dark City with the Base game?
Or is Base + Spidey ok ?

If all you want is Spidey and related items, then Base+PtTR is fine. There are 4x Spider Friends in that expansion so you'll be able to build some nice synergies.

If you want more Spider Friends, then you should also get the Secret Wars expansions.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
To answer which expansions interest you, ask yourself and your other players which good guys and bad guys interest you and them. No expansion is a dud, and there seems to be a good distribution of tough bad guys and easier ones, and the power distribution continues when you look at the Heroes.

There's a thread that has the text of literally every card in the game, divided by expansion. The rules sheets are also easily found on this site or Upper Deck's site. That'll give you all the information other than what the specific cards look like. I found the thread indispensable when I discovered this game just under two years ago and wondered what sets to get first.




2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halstead
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Completely depends on what you are looking for in the expansion. If you play the game for all the awesome characters then Dark City is a must because it features a lot of iconic characters however if it is the deck building and fun mechanics that you are after then I would recommend Civil War or Secret Wars Volume 1 as they really change up the gameplay in fun ways and sidekicks are something you will never regret having.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
djhalstead wrote:
Completely depends on what you are looking for in the expansion. If you play the game for all the awesome characters then Dark City is a must because it features a lot of iconic characters however if it is the deck building and fun mechanics that you are after then I would recommend Civil War or Secret Wars Volume 1 as they really change up the gameplay in fun ways and sidekicks are something you will never regret having.


Huh, I'll have too loook into SWV1. I don't really want Civil War because i don't want to use Heroes as masterminds.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffcuetis wrote:
slydog75 wrote:
Ovidutz wrote:
I don't think you'll buy just 2 expansions. You will love the game and you will want more and more For this reason I am not even going to bother to make suggestions


Hah, you're probably right.. Best laid plans and all.


Good luck on that Fantastic Four expansion whistle


Which is sad because IMO the FF small box expansion is best of them all. Every so often if you check the auctions/metalist someone has one up for grabs usually at around $50 to start.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nowak

Ann Arbor
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmb
bearn wrote:
jeffcuetis wrote:
slydog75 wrote:
Ovidutz wrote:
I don't think you'll buy just 2 expansions. You will love the game and you will want more and more For this reason I am not even going to bother to make suggestions


Hah, you're probably right.. Best laid plans and all.


Good luck on that Fantastic Four expansion whistle


Which is sad because IMO the FF small box expansion is best of them all. Every so often if you check the auctions/metalist someone has one up for grabs usually at around $50 to start.


Id pay 50. Hell...Id pay 60.

Im not paying those crazy 200-300 dollar price tags.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.