1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Magnum PI Crew Pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sometimes you get ideas in your head and you have to go with them or your brain will explode. What do you mean that's just me?

Anyway, had this thought. I know they're not particularly Sci-Fi or Westerny or Sci-Westerny, (there are actually pictures on the web of all these guys in Western clothes), but what the heck...

These are some background characters that could work. There are a few more that could be done, including Mac, who would be two different cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Magnum's ability is far too good! Maybe make it one crew per job?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And there was me thinking THIS is Colonel Green! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coxon
United States
flag msg tools
mb
These cards are really well done. I love how the abilities on each card match the characters perfectly. I think Magnum's ability is fine, since normally everyone will wish to keep their crew happy all the time for fear another player would stop by and they would accept a better offer. The one I think is overpowered is Higgins -- perhaps his discount should only apply to gear which adds negotiation skill. I also recommend replacing the word "opponent" on The Lads because it doesn't fit the game (i.e. you won't find it in any of the rulebooks). "Rival" would be a better choice here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sandals wrote:
Wow, Magnum's ability is far too good! Maybe make it one crew per job?

Thought about that. But it's slightly lifted from baseball, which fit's Magnum as well, and I figured there are still a lot of other ways to Disgruntle crew, particularly with most of this bunch being Moral.

And Magnum was always "that guy". He always owed his friends lots of money and favors, and was always asking for one more - but they were still loyal to him and always stuck with him.

And he doesn't have a lot else going on. He's not a Pilot, Mechanic, or Companion, or anything super duper useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
UpStarter wrote:
And there was me thinking THIS is Colonel Green! whistle

There's that. Not sure how to work him into the Star Trek set yet.

Lance Legault WAS on Star Trek though (TNG as a Klingon). The dude was basically on every TV show in the late 70's and 80's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Soltaris wrote:
These cards are really well done. I love how the abilities on each card match the characters perfectly. I think Magnum's ability is fine, since normally everyone will wish to keep their crew happy all the time for fear another player would stop by and they would accept a better offer. The one I think is overpowered is Higgins -- perhaps his discount should only apply to gear which adds negotiation skill. I also recommend replacing the word "opponent" on The Lads because it doesn't fit the game (i.e. you won't find it in any of the rulebooks). "Rival" would be a better choice here.

Thanks.

Higgins is tough. He's this pompous annoying little guy (particularly compared to Selleck), who's secretly a real badass. He's been places and seen things. On the show, he was the source of all of Magnum's equipment - cars, cameras, etc., but only if he was in a good mood and Magnum was on his good side. If he was pissed at Magnum, he would very quickly close the candy store. So I tried to balance the good bit with a bad bit. Either keep him happy, or spend time and money to de-Disgruntle him.

Good catch on "rival". I knew there had to be a better word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wright
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Now we just need the "A-Team", the guys from Airwolf, and Simon and Simon!!! Ooooo!!! Knight Rider........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't forget Riptide and Matt Houston.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArionElquest wrote:
Now we just need the "A-Team", the guys from Airwolf, and Simon and Simon!!! Ooooo!!! Knight Rider........
You forgot Charlie's Angels!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if Magnum's was a little weaker, requiring a roll? Then you run the risk of your crew saying "Um, no thanks, pay or I'm walking."

"I'll Owe You One"
After completing a job, roll for each crew member. +1 for Moral Crew. -1 for Disgruntled Crew.
1 - Discard Crew
2-4 - Pay or Disgruntle
5-6 - No Pay required

Bear in mind, I'm one of the rare few who have never watched the show, so I don't know if that would sit well with you folks or not. Just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T M
msg tools
So why not this guy?
MacGuyver (Leader)
Moral, Mechanic, Hacking Rig
Tech 2, Negotiation 1
Cannot use FIREARMS
Ignore all Breakdowns
While Misbehaving you can roll a die:
1: Disgruntle MacGuyver
2-4: Nothing happens
5-6: Treat as having an Ace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On Higgins, what if he influences what your Leader can carry?

If Higgins is not Disgruntled, your leader can carry +1 Gear. If Higgins is Disgruntled, your leader cannot carry Gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
On Higgins, what if he influences what your Leader can carry?

If Higgins is not Disgruntled, your leader can carry +1 Gear. If Higgins is Disgruntled, your leader cannot carry Gear.

That's a fun ability!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Been out for most of the day, so I saw these crew but didn't have the opportunity to offer feedback until now.

Although I DID watch the show, it's been quite a few years since I've even thought about it, so my comments will primarily be from a mechanics point of view.

MAGNUM: I could be mistaken, but I think most of the favors Magnum asked for were from his old army buddies, no? In that light, his ability shouldn't really be that different, mechanically, from Zoe's Loyalty.

If it's not just army buddies, is it limited in the show to good guys (ie Moral)? I'm not trying to limit the ability, necessarily, so much as get a better sense of what you're going for.

As a crew/leader keyword, FIREARM is all but useless, serving only as a requirement on a handful of jobs. I would junk it to clear some real estate on the card.

RICK is very powerful for his cost. When balancing out Crew, each skill point and keyword usually equates to $100, and Moral subtracts $100, so you've got a cost of $300 before you get to special abilities.

Most Crew have a built-in benefit of some kind, and the ability to discard Contraband to count as ID is perfectly in line with a "free" ability (although I might suggest making it once per use rather than for a full turn - I don't think anything in the game currently works like that).

Then there's being Solid with Niska. Being Solid with Harken is what I call a "persistent ability," which adds $100 to cost. But that's Harken. Being Solid with Niska is a much more valuable option than being solid wiht Niska because it's so easy to get solid with Harken if you want. Also, the benefits of being Solid with Niska are much better (the ability to sell Cargo and Contra right out of the gate) and being Solid with Niska is relevant to a large number of Job Cards.

Remove the Solid with Niska part, tweak the FAKE ID part, and he's nicely balanced.

T.C.: Better balanced, although I would again suggest making it situational rather than for the turn. Also, why does he lose Pilot? It seems this is to prohibit him from performing a Crazy Ivan on his own? It's such a specific, limited circumstances - why not let him have it?

BTW, in both of these guys, I like the use of Goods to fuel other stuff.

HIGGINS: I commented on the special ability previously, but I think it's necessary to also point out that no Crew costs $400, so, again, too powerful.

THE LADS should probably be tweaked so they cost $0. Sure, the dogs need to eat, but do they really need a share? Alternately, I think there's a good argument that they should be Gear. Do they really do anything of their own initiative, or are they just "handled" by someone else?

ICE PICK: I have a lot of questions about this guy. How does the Deal Action work? Do you need to be at a contact's location, or can it be from anywhere? What does "Count it as being from Ice Pick instead" mean? Does it impact your hand size? Can you still get Solid with the contact? As is, I don't really understand what the value of the ability is.

COLONEL GREEN may need a re-design: Lawmen always cost $0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want to post so you can all laugh with me at myself.

I look at the picture of Rick, and ask why Starbuck is on his card. Hitting IMDB ... he played Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dalek1 wrote:

ArionElquest wrote:

gwek wrote:
Don't forget Riptide and Matt Houston.

ArionElquest wrote:

Regnarts wrote:
So why not this guy?
MacGuyver (Leader)
Moral, Mechanic, Hacking Rig
Tech 2, Negotiation 1
Cannot use FIREARMS
Ignore all Breakdowns
While Misbehaving you can roll a die:
1: Disgruntle MacGuyver
2-4: Nothing happens
5-6: Treat as having an Ace

...and TJ Hooker. Don't forget TJ Hooker. MacGuyver is a nice three card set (Mac, Swiss Army Knife, and Duck Tape).

Airwolf has interesting potential. Hawk and Santini as former Alliance pilots in a stolen Alliance prototype fighter(Airwolf), all three Wanted. Archangel and his women as Alliance Agents.

Hawaii 5-O,Simon and Simon, and Murder She Wrote are in the Magnum universe. Old Hawaii 5-O is tied to new Hawaii 5-O, which I think? is tied to NCIS, which is then tied to JAG...

Bill, I only just realized that your Avatar is holding a power ring, and that it glows. Very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
Just want to post so you can all laugh with me at myself.

I look at the picture of Rick, and ask why Starbuck is on his card. Hitting IMDB ... he played Giles.

Yup. He was also in Black Sheep Squadron - again as a pilot. I partially used the BSG pic as a nod to the Browncoats, as all these guys are retired military. But on further reflection, I think they probably would have been in the Alliance instead - which is an unused background in the game. We have some active Alliance military, and some former & 'active' Browncoats, but not any former Alliance.

Speaking of Alliance... Battlestar Galactica had a few episodes that involved an Eastern Alliance. Similar mindset, similar uniforms, possible fodder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
Bill, I only just realized that your Avatar is holding a power ring, and that it glows. Very nice.

I thought Frodo with a Green Lantern ring would be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
phideaux1 wrote:
Scarbuck wrote:

It's awesome. I honestly don't know why it took me this long to notice it was glowing. DUH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Saunders
United States
Hot Springs
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
phideaux1 wrote:
Scarbuck wrote:

It's awesome. I honestly don't know why it took me this long to notice it was glowing. DUH!

Ah, that was part of one of many unfinished projects. I was going to make one for each part of the spectrum, but only got three done.

Sorry for derailing the thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rowley
United Kingdom
Stafford
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phideaux1 wrote:

Bill, considering all the great work and support you have done, I for one don't think you need to apologise for the derailment.

More power to your mouse and keep up the good work. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
So, it's been a while for me in actually watching the show, BUT I have recently watched the Archer PI trailer many, many times, and it's a shot-for-shot remake of the Magnum PI opening credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdoDtIUPlVM

I still maintain the Archer crew would make a great set of cards, but even though they're animated, I would NOT include them with Gwek's daughter's deck, if only so he doesn't have to explain what "phrasing" means.

Off subject, but on the subject of animated and images, correct me if I am incorrect, but isn't the image from the Beaumonde deck of Inara's Bow from a comic book or other non-live-action source?

But back to task...

Magnum:
I could also be incorrect, But I think it was a running thing with pretty much everyone he interacted with. He's that guy who lives off favors - like literally. His residence and car are borrowed, and at Higgins' mercy, as an exchange of favors with Robin Masters (who may or may not be Higgins). His interactions with the police are also usually favors. I think as well, bartenders, and pretty much everyone he knows he owes money or a favor to.

Granted, this is a more obvious and frequent plot device with his inner circle. But the basic idea, and where I was going with the ability, was that it would get them upset (Disgruntled), but never to the point that they would abandon him.

Thought about Zoe's ability, but wanted to do something different. I think cloning hers might be a little too powerful, even though I know there's not a LOT of Soldiers in the decks. I didn't want to give him a complete free pass. And I think with so many other ways to Disgruntle Crew floating around, and the threat of having your Crew get a Better Offer hanging over your head it helped balance it.

Would adding something like "May hire Moral Crew for half their cost" or "Not Moral Crew cost double to hire" help balance things by 'encouraging' the player to hire Moral Crew, which Disgruntle more easily?

Yeah, I can drop Firearm if the space is needed. I don't know that losing it just because there's only a few jobs is a reason in and of itself, as this is why there are Aces - for that one Misbehave.

RICK:
I was looking at Magnum, Rick, and TC as Superstars. Higgins became one on his own when Wikipedia informed me of his background. So I was looking at Rick being about $200 before abilities.

I came up with Rick before deciding to do Ice Pick. Ice Pick is the Niska of the Magnumverse, and Rick is tied to him in some unexplained way. If Ice Pick is a card (get more into him below), then the Solid with Niska is kind of redundant.

That grammatical tweak for both Rick and TC makes sense.

TC:
So yes, the idea was to limit solo Crazy Ivans. I know it's situational, but it's not terribly logical to me to have one guy doing both jobs at the same time. And while it's situational, it' sapparently a big enough deal for most people to attempt to secure a Pilot AND a Mechanic for just that reason. I don't think making that THAT much easier is necessarily a good thing.

Higgins:
Too powerful or too expensive? Or both?

I do like the variation you came up with though.

Zeus and Apollo:
The age old quandary, Crew or Gear? I tend to lean toward 'Crew with caveats'. $0 is correct.

Ice Pick:
As I mentioned with Rick, I wasn't originally going to do Ice Pick, and he was basically going to be represented by Niska - so RIck was Solid with him.

As conceived as a character, the idea was that he would be a quasi-contact, and allow you to get Jobs through him. The Job would be random, and once taken would be tied to Ice Pick instead of the original Contact, so completing it wouldn't grant Solid with that Contact or if you screw it up, lose Solid with them.

As with things that make sense in your head, but then take a lot of writing to explain, this probably doesn't work.

Green:
Do you have any suggestions? When I look at the existing Lawmen, they all (with the exception of the Deputy who is a lower powered outlier) have 3 skills/keywords plus an Ability and a $500 Bounty bonus. And they can't work illegal Jobs.

Other than botching the cost, and straying from the pattern, I don't think this version was really any more powerful, and in some respects, more situational.

Maybe something like "+ F, F (or maybe Tech) if another Soldier is in your Crew. Bounty Bonus $500. Will not work Illegal Jobs."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmb
phideaux1 wrote:

Not even derailed. Those are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watts
United States
Ringgold
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Dalek1 wrote:
ArionElquest wrote:

I would love to see all of these. Maybe a "Classic TV" pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.