Subject: An alternative to the Auction Phase of the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iasonas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the auction phase of the game awkward and frustrating,especially when you end up losing gems for no reason in a game that they are already in scarcity.
So here is my (simple) variant.

You set up the game according to the official rules.No changes there.

The only difference is that you determine a first player.At the beginning of each round,the next player becomes the first player going clockwise.

''Auction phase'':

-The first player chooses an auction card and pays the corresponding cost (Gem
color).The player to the left chooses next etc.,until all players have taken a card or
passed.A player cannot take a card if he does not have the corresponding gem to
pay for it (Exception : Attack tokens).

- A player may choose to pass instead of taking a card,in which case he takes any 3
gems from the reserve plus 1 gem per science token he has on his pyramid.

- Certain character cards give you attack tokens (sword icon). You can use
an attack token instead of a gem in the auction phase to get first pick on a card
in the auction. You do not have to pay a gemstone. You do that by interrupting
the person taking his turn and after having made his choice of card.
You then take the card you want and the interrupted player can then take another card or
choose to pass.
The attack token is returned to the reserve after use.
The player who used the attack token has essentially taken his turn and cannot
take another action for the current auction phase.
Players continue taking turns normally

- If multiple players decide to use an attack token simultaneously,then the player with the lowest
numbered card in his pyramid gets to take the card he wants first.The other player(s) still
have to use the attack token and take another card.

- Remaining character cards at the bases of the arrows are moved over to the tip of
the arrow. If there are character cards at the tip of the arrow, these are
discarded. At the bases of the arrows of the 4 auction cards, 4 new character
cards from the large deck are placed at the bases of the arrows.

- A player cannot obtain more than 1 card in the ''Auction Phase''.

Since the game lasts 12 rounds,all players will have the opportunity for a first pick an equal
amount of times in all player counts.
Also the attack tokens retain their usefulness in this phase without changing the dynamics and
balance of the game from its vanilla form -as far as i can tell anyway-.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Leutton
Australia
Kenmore
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love it! Think i'll try this out on my next game. Might remove some of the annoying bid issues...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you change things, you negate the power of the sword

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iasonas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
If you change things, you negate the power of the sword

If i don't change things ,i negate the power of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panu Trivej
msg tools
This is actually very similar to how our group play the game. I would like to add a few points.

1. You don't mention anything about outbidding. Here is how we do it. You can outbid your opponent if on your turn, you place more gems of the corresponding color than what is already on the card.

2. The outbidden gem moves to the other card of the same color if there are two cards for that color. At the end of the auction phase, the outbidden player gets the other card instead of his original choice.

3. If there is only one card belonging to that color, the outbidden gem goes back to the general supply, and the owner get 3 gems as per usual.

4. To keep track of who bid for which card, we put gems on different corners of the card according to our seating position ala Keyflower.

Also. The way we use sword is slightly different. We use it on our auction turn, and that's how we close the deal. No one else can win the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.