Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discovered couple nights ago that we'd been playing Draconians wrong. But I'm not sure we are now playing it correctly either. Is this right?

1) Play Draconian, and show a card for each Red activity you have.

2) Opponnents show you a single card of any of the colors you displayed if they have any.

3) Take cards from the Forum of colors you displayed, or of a single color, totalling up to the number of cards that you showed your opponents.

Example One:

Show three cards, red, blue, orange. Forum has only three blue cards. Take three blue cards.

Is this correct?

Example Two:

Show three cards, red, blue, orange. Forum has one of each of these colors. Take one of each.

Is this also correct?

-Phuntom, ty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your post makes it a bit confusing to merely say, "that one." So I'll try to clear it up for you, but I'm not sure I'll do any better than the rules (which give quite a good example):
1. Play a draconians order on your domain.
2. Calculate how many additional activations you receive via activity bonuses.
3. Reveal cards from your hand up to your max number of activations for a draconians order.
4. Players with a card on their domain must transfer one card to your stock which matches one of the cards you revealed [if they can].
5. For each card you revealed, you also transfer a matching card to your stock from the forum. example: If you reveal one stone(red) and one wood(orange), then you would transfer both a single stone and a single wood card from the forum to your stock. In this example, if there are no wood cards in the forum, then you would transfer only a single stone card from the forum to your stock. You would not be able to transfer 2 stone cards because you revealed only one stone card from your hand with your draconians order. If you reveal 2 stone cards, then you would be able to transfer 2 stone cards from the forum to your stock.

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool.

So my main confusion was whether you could reveal two different color cards, yet take two of only ONE color from the forum. You can't.

You just take one card from the forum matching each card revealed, if they are available. Simple.

This makes more sense to me, the way you describe it. Seems more thematic somehow too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my first example was a NO, my second was a YES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely the most unique among the game actions (orders). With additional activities and a hand full of cards, it is potentially more powerful than both production and exploration. But it commonly suffers from various confusions. And in my experience, players rarely use it for lack of understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 30 games, we played that no matter how many cards you revealed, you still only got ONE from the forum.

Reflecting on this, our games have titled heavily towards production and construction, Draconian being only a last resort choice. The red monopoly was always the last one taken.

We've now played one game with the correct rule, 3p. I got the red monopoly first, and did manage one or two plays with it using the correction. We had a nasty forum stall going during the mid game, so that limited me from using it more. So hard to say if playing correctly made a huge difference in the outcome this time.

Unusually, I did run away with it this game, however. I've won maybe 10-15% of our 3p games, as one of my regular opponents seems to have grocked Uchronia's subtlety where we are just starting to peel it back now, even after 30 plays.

Very much looking forward to the next 30 sessions of this excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phuntom wrote:
Reflecting on this, our games have titled heavily towards production and construction, Draconian being only a last resort choice. The red monopoly was always the last one taken.

This↑ is still typical in our games. Most people go for resource gains in the following priority order
1. production
2. exploration
3. draconians
Phuntom wrote:
We had a nasty forum stall going during the mid game, so that limited me from using it more.

This↑ isn't uncommon, but that's when exploration for resources becomes king.

While production is the most straight-forward and common way to gather up resources, I appreciate how all three methods of gathering resources can be more powerful than each of the others under different circumstances.

This is indeed a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since clearly my opinion should carry no weight as I can't even be bothered to read the rules carefully , I'll just say that we've occasionally found some value in trading up a marble as a second or third choice.

If going for a light building strategy, being able to plot your opponents trade always feels good, and seems efficient. Having to take single trade actions multiple times feels like a waste of precious time.

So (again, we've been playing wrong Draco so who knows), our [early activity] plays are usually:

1. Explore or Produce
2. Construct
3. Trade (or second explore or produce)
4. Construct again, or Trade
5. Draconian (or second explore or produce)

Who knows now that Draconian just got more powerful. With a diverse forum, we might see it coming down first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're spot on about getting a trade activity up (a marble up). This is definitely a game about efficient use of actions--perhaps an optimization puzzle even. And copying someone's order when you want to plot is quite satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.