Hide
23 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Ideas to add in to another expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Brown
msg tools
I like to brainstorm ideas for content for the next expansion and am curious what others have come up with or think would be a good addition. I do NOT think this discussion should be about new species as there are so many possibilities for that. Some of the ideas I and others I play with have had:

Mechanisms
-Mercenaries: The ability to buy ships with money from a public pool, ships similar in layouts to ancient cruisers maybe.
-Events: Similar to Cosmic Encounter events, where random stuff happens to affect the whole galaxy. Maybe there is a sudden burst of ancient ships spawning randomly on the board, Maybe a large comet flies through the map from the edge of the galaxy destroying a ship if it moves into the same hex, etc.
-Scuttle: The ability to destroy your own ships on your turn if you chose to.

Rare Technology
-Mind Control: Allows, maybe once per battle or once per round of combat, for the player to use an enemy ship's die that has been rolled against their own ships.
-Space Mines: Allows the player to build mines that sit in a sector and "attack" enemy ships that enter. Maybe the mines do not pin as a balancing factor. Mines are destroyed after their first attack.
-Better shields: A -3 shield or something crazy, not sure of a name.
-Compact dry dock: Gives a new component. The component can only be placed on dreadnought. When doing a build action you can now build interceptors or cruisers at the dreadnought, but they cost more materials (maybe 50%?)
-Bioweapons: Simply moving a ship into a sector for the first time in the round kills one population in the sector. This does not result in losing influence of the sector.
-Lightning gun: A cannon which when hits, does 2 damage to one target and 1 damage to another different target or something similar.

Discoveries
-Traitor captain: The discovery gives you a one time ability to pay a large amount of money to take over another players ship. The player which uses the discovery replaces an enemy ship with their own of the same class and puts the discovery under it to show that it has the same ship layout as that opponents ship.
-Planet Killer: The discovery can later be used to destroy a planet in an adjacent hex similar to the anomalies.
-Flak Gun: Roll a lot of dice, but 6's are not automatic hits.

Developments
-Dyson Sphere: When built it is placed in one of your sectors. It provides 1 or 2 power to each of your ship layouts in addition to their normal power output. If you lose control of the sphere you must immediately downgrade your ships to make them legal. Maybe not have it on the board at all though.
-Planetary Defenses: Allows planets to defend themselves slightly. Each planet in a given system would roll maybe one yellow die and have +1 or something small. Each planet would require 1 damage to destroy and does not pin.
-Alternate reality viewer: Allows the player to one time in the future do a research action and search the technology bag for any research and pay for it like normal.

Some of these ideas might turn out to be wildly bad, but I think if we come up with some good ones we can help create more content for this awesome game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
You got drama all over my meeples!
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Compact Dry Dock and Dyson Sphere are excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

you are very creative!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
+1 to events, better shields and the energy orb, the last one could be better implemented as a discovery than a tech...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
Thanks everybody, if you have more ideas please post them here! I had another one just a moment ago:

Mechanisms
-Achievements: Drawn randomly from a pile like Developments. Accomplishing an achievement immediately earns it. My first idea for one is "Have all population cubes of at least two resource tracks empty of cubes". Maybe this one in particular is better as a new development, and worth 2 points per empty resource track. Achievements are meant to be very difficult to pull off (strive for getting 1 per game tops), and not a huge number of points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Please no events!
Scuttle: the lack of scuttling possibilities define the strategic options in the game. Perhaps allow scuttling as a rare tech or development, and destroying a ship costs a build activation. Still, instead of having to move my dreadnaught from one end of my empire to rage other, I can just destroy it and rebuild it in a hex that I couldn't have reached in one move? Very powerful, perhaps too much so.
Mercenaries: do the mercenary ships have different blueprints than your own ships? Doesn't that complicate stuff? Can you hire a merc and thus get access to technology that you haven't researched (like Plasma Missiles)? How do you keep that balanced?

Coming up with new ideas is not difficult. Developing them into workable, balanced additions to the game is the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
Events would be an optional module, like many other modules, but I could see many people not liking them. I've played the game about 50 times now, and I'm trying to come up with ideas to add some spice.

Scuttle would provide a big swing if you have a lot of materials sitting around. I definitely think it shouldn't be an option for starbases or for pinned ships.

Yes, mercenaries have different blueprints than your owned ships. It wouldn't complicate the game at all I think, you would simply have different tokens that look just like the ancient cruisers that show exactly what they do. Mercenaries would be balanced by the fact that they would cost a large amount of money for what they are, but give you the ability to get ships with parts you don't have technology access to.

Balance is a big part of adding things to a game. I prefer for right now not to think too hard about it, just come up with new ideas to consider. Balancing the game would be the hard work for the designer to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
I had another idea!

Development
-Ancient Database: Cost like 15 science, but allows you to search the discovery tile stack for any ship part and immediately upgrade it on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Really, Paul, instead of launching new ideas, try creating some pieces and try out your ideas. Playtest and improve. It's great that you're enthusiastic about the game, but very unlikely that the designers are out of ideas to bring this game further and will pick up a bunch of single line suggestions that haven't been developed for their new expansion.

If you need to spice up your games, have you looked at the suggestions made in the past five years in these forums? You'll find many wondrous things there, including an events deck, like you suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Purdon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the flip side... it isn't hurting anything/anyone, so if you're having fun have at it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:

Coming up with new ideas is not difficult. Developing them into workable, balanced additions to the game is the challenge.

This, a thousand times this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
msg tools
I'm not going to put effort into creating and play testing parts because that is not what this thread is for. It is about coming up with ideas based on other science fiction that thematically makes sense. If you don't want to participate then please stop responding. My eventual hope is that we can have a large compiled list of unfinished ideas and I or the designers can cherry pick interesting sounding ones and then work on them to make sure they are balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Have you actually contacted Touko and let him know about this? What did he say?
2. It's highly doubtful that this game would receive any more expansions at this point.
3. If you want to have an influence on the game (as you clearly seem), why don't you contact lautapelit.fi directly and ask to be invited to a playtester group? I guarantee you, your ideas would have far better chance on falling on a fertile ground, if you're a member of such group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robledo Gonzalez
Brazil
flag msg tools
I tried to contact Touko, to show him my ideas. But I haven't received any reply. I think his is not interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Meucci
Italy
Guasticce
Livorno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great ideas!
BTW, I will be glad if they would implement a solo player mode, like the Automa system in Scythe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
UnalignedMagi wrote:
If you don't want to participate then please stop responding. My eventual hope is that we can have a large compiled list of unfinished ideas and I or the designers can cherry pick interesting sounding ones and then work on them to make sure they are balanced.

I understand that you don't want to hear this, but that doesn't make it less true: the designers are not in need of ideas, and if they are, they won't look at random threads with untested ideas for inspiration. Your hope is illusory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Events

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To OP; you have some really good ideas, thanks for posting!

However....

As others have said, ideas are a dime a dozen, they are all over the variant forums. Play testing is the hard part.

Some of these posters, like whymme, know this because they have worked on variant races...or whatever....for years. I know this because I am one of them. Still working on my race, the Reconstructors. After you do this for a while, you start to see that what looked like a great idea thematically, isn't, because of game balance.

What I am trying to say, is: your ideas sound great, and thematic.

And that doesn't matter.
That's the easy part. They also have to work.

You would get alot more respect if you would at least acknowledge the importance of playtesting. Treating it flippantly just tells us you haven't tried.

Please, take this and learn from it. And keep refining your ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I know how hard playtesting is (spent 2 years balancing a mod for Fief) but I read this as a brainstorming thread... ideas for fun, nothing else.

I have fun brainstorming so why not? It is evident that some ideas will be more feasible than others. It is evident that the authors have tons of friends that have plenty of ideas as well and will be overfed but I don't care,
I come here, read, and post because when I am not playing I have fun thinking about my boardgames and how to expand them.

The place to post project that alter the game is the variants forum I think this is more of a general discussion.

That said:

- I think that the minions of solstice mechanic is good and could be very well expanded into something like the leaders in MOO (planetary leaders and so on that you buy with reputation)...

New Race - I would love to see a race that has something like espionage abilities, instead of research from the track they copy a technology that another player has acquired (dig into the bag and place it), sabotage planets (remove a population cube here and there...), sabotage ships make ships explode in the other corner of the galaxy and so on... that would be really fun to play... Again really hard to balance so ... please don't burn me?

Edit: I loved my idea so much that I thought it through a bit more:

Dopplegangers of... Bei Jin: Despised and feared equally for their superb spying and gerrilla warfare skills.

Player mat:
Different blueprints--> No Dreadnoughts
During setup--> Set 1 blank tech token aside and give them the traitor card
No initial tech (instead they get the blank tech token)
Trade rate 3-1
Less VPs for last techs (1, 2 , 4 instead of 1, 2, 3 and 5)

Different actions:
Research: During a research action they can only choose technologies that someone else has researched, they pay the normal cost and take it from the reserve (or next turns draw) if available, if not from the bag, if not in the bag either they may use the single set aside blank tech to mark it.(So once per game they can copy a rare tech)

Influence: During an Inf action they can flip two colony ships to blow 1 ship in any non contested sector, they must pay the ship cost in materials to do so. Ships without a cost cannot be blown. Inf only resets 1 C ship.

Upgrade: 3 upgrades per action

- I would love to see something like the galactic council expansion that Vanish and the other guy were working on, if possible something in the lighter side not to add much extra complexity, my itch is about more diplomacy and interaction between those players set at opposite sides of the table.

- New Development: Stargates, ships belonging to your race can move between any 2 sectors where you have an influence disk with just one move.

- New "Themathic sectors": Asteroid sector (3 material planets), Ancient graveyard (3 Science planets), Trading Hub (3 economy planets)

- New Discovery: Ancient ship (provides a token like ship that is yours to control, with its own blueprint printed on like "ancient style"), to mark ownership it has a science cube space on it, gives others players VPs if they kill it in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
M0ebius wrote:
I know how hard playtesting is (spent 2 years balancing a mod for Fief) but I read this as a brainstorming thread... ideas for fun, nothing else.

Brainstorming is fine. Expecting that the designers will pick up untested, undeveloped ideas, is illusory.

That said, I like your thematic sectors. In which ring would you place them? And would all the planets be basic ones, or would one or two be advanced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Didn't consider that, probably in ring 3 and with at least 1 advanced...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I know that is hard, but how about work on a printable expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rare tech
-Auto pilot: allow ,as attack ,to destroy your ship and do the double max damage of your weapon, need a opposite roll with a bonus equal to the movement of your ship.
-Intersystem missile: allow you to build a special kind of ship that is constrained to move every round (without taking action) and is destroyed after the frist attack.
Multiple type -IIM(ions Intersystem missile)
move 3 ---- 2x (1 dmg)---- iniziative 4 ---- +2
-PIM(plasma Intersystem missile)
move 2 ---- 2x (2 dmg)---- iniziative 3 ---- +2
-AIM(Antimatter Intersystem missile)
move 1 ---- 2x (4 dmg)---- iniziative 2 ---- +3
-Planet harvester: allow to do a special action of harvesting, this can be used in on up to 3 planet in system that you control, the planet stop producting resource and you gain +5 in the resource of planet color (white is anything you need), if a system has no more planet is worth 0 VP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.