8 Posts

Labyrinth: The Awakening, 2010 – ?» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unexpected solo situation... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing my first game of the original Labyrinth with the new Jihad bot, and I've gotten myself into an unexpected situation. I got some great cards early, and did a regime change in Afghanistan. At first more cells got recruited in, and it seemed like it was going to be a vicious cycle. I was not going to have 5 more troops than cells, so I couldn't do a WoI, and couldn't disrupt as fast as they could recruit. And I assume, based on the flowchart that, barring Events, cells would keep pouring in until they could try a major jihad.

But then I played Mass Turnout, and improved Afghanistan to Fair. Then the bot tried several unsuccessful minor jihads, and was totally wiped out to the Funding track, with no cadre. The turn ended right after, with still no cells. So, I can't win in solo because of this, so I'm assuming that the only way cells are going to get on the board are via events, or radicalization, correct? Am I also correct that I don't need a cadre anywhere to recruit during radicalization?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Smith,

Yes that was an unlucky turn of events for the Bot. Am I correct assuming that funding wasn't tight? The only way to get a cell out now will be an Event. Hopefully one will appear soon! If Recruiting during Radicalization, the Bot still needs a cell or cadre at the target.

You've discovered an unfortunate situation, for sure.

Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things got interesting again later, but I think I got the bot into another odd situation. Funding was tight, and no cells were in the tight box. I had 3 cells in Pakistan and fatwa there, so I couldn't disrupt. There were other cells around, but the flowchart wouldn't them travel. The bot kept attempting plots in Pakistan since they weren't allowed to jihad. I am assuming all the plotting was to try raise funding. But should I have limited attempts in Pakistan? The plots would have yielded more in non Muslim countries, though I had none. Still, events have caused havoc again, so it's still entertaining. Thanks for all your work on the bot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Smith,

Thanks for the report. It sounds like you were doing everything correctly. When tight, the Bot will scramble to recruit all available cells (to avoid the scenario you had earlier!) and then Plot until funding is >3.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barely held on to win this game. I had 10 good resources, and was hoping for an oil shortage card, but things went nuts. Lost Iraq, and luckily Pakistan fell way to late for its WMDs to affect the outcome. Ended with 7 good resources. Jihadists got funding back up to full with 2 French terror plots, and things would probably have turned really bad had I played 2 decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam C
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into the same situation with a really unlucky bot, who'll just spin in place I guess until an event puts a cell on the board.

Have you considered modifying radicalization to allow putting a cell on the board like in the original as a last resort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hi Adam,

That would be a nice, easy solution. I'm definitely open to adding that to Rad if players prefer. Part of me likes rewarding a US player that eliminated all Cells and Cadres with some time to get things accomplished.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nmtadam wrote:
Hi Adam,

That would be a nice, easy solution. I'm definitely open to adding that to Rad if players prefer. Part of me likes rewarding a US player that eliminated all Cells and Cadres with some time to get things accomplished.

Adam

I haven't hit an unlucky streak like this again, but if I do, I might just house rule it to do something different to kickstart the bot. I enjoy how this bot plays more by the rules than the original, so you aren't fighting magically placed cells in addition to random events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.