9 Posts

Mythos Tales» Forums » General

Subject: Case six (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slathe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This case seems like it was rewritten half way through. One of the questions doesn't match up with the proposed answer, and following Armitage's path doesn't seem to give the information to answer the questions.

I'm wondering if other people had a similar experience. There've been a few typos and whatnot throughout the first five cases, but that's not really a big deal considering how well each of those cases played. But case six felt like it was a hodgepodge of mistakes that made for a confusing conclusion. Want to give the game the benefit of the doubt, so wanted to check in with others to see what your case six experiences were like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hulsebus
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished case 4 so I'm not here yet. Any proposed fixes or any tips you could share without it being spoilers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikehulsebus wrote:
Just finished case 4 so I'm not here yet. Any proposed fixes or any tips you could share without it being spoilers?

I think they mixed up the name of the ship with the name of a different ship. So the biggest tip I can provide is there aren't two ships?

But I'm not sure, if we didn't miss anything, what else one could do. We were still able to figure out what was going on, just some of the specific answers eluded us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I posted in the other thread I just found about Case Six, I agree. Some huge errors really hurt this case. I found that extremely disappointing, since I had absolutely loved the story line for this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ambie
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
Do you want to play a board gaaame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Slathe wrote:
mikehulsebus wrote:

I think they mixed up the name of the ship with the name of a different ship. So the biggest tip I can provide is there aren't two ships?

But I'm not sure, if we didn't miss anything, what else one could do. We were still able to figure out what was going on, just some of the specific answers eluded us.

I've got major spoilers here so don't click unless you've finished the case.

For the ship name:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The question written on the questions page doesn't match the question written on the answers page. But yes, there are two ships - the one on the answers page is the schooner from the Innsmouth people that's in the river.

We also had a problem with the main solution (I think this is a much bigger problem):

We had to go to Mary Keezer and have Requirement Card 8 in order to figure out what she did with the Star. But after looking through all the encounters, it doesn't appear that Requirement Card 8 is anywhere in the scenario. From reading Mary Keezer's entry, it seems like you should get Requirement Card 8 when you go to the Gala, but it's not there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ambierona wrote:
Slathe wrote:
mikehulsebus wrote:

I've got major spoilers here so don't click unless you've finished the case.

For the ship name:
The question written on the questions page doesn't match the question written on the answers page. But yes, there are two ships - the one on the answers page is the schooner from the Innsmouth people that's in the river.

We also had a problem with the main solution (I think this is a much bigger problem):

We had to go to Mary Keezer and have Requirement Card 8 in order to figure out what she did with the Star. But after looking through all the encounters, it doesn't appear that Requirement Card 8 is anywhere in the scenario. From reading Mary Keezer's entry, it seems like you should get Requirement Card 8 when you go to the Gala, but it's not there.

Yes but they are supposed to be the same ship or the story doesn't make sense, I think.

I agree the requirement card is an issue and, if I remember correctly it's also really hard to follow the correct route to go through the cave to get to the ship. Can't recall if it was also lacking a requirement card, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am 99% sure you are incorrect on the idea that there is only one ship. Over the course of the story, there are two ships.

1) "The Kraken" - The Navy vessel which sunk during the Great War. Our three veterans in Arkham were the only survivors of this sinking.

2) "The Saber" - The schooner which the "Innsmouth Connection" folks were using to facilitate their nefarious deeds in Arkham.

I don't have the questions from the end of the scenario in front of me, but it appeared that one of the questions asked about one of the ships mentioned above, and the answer was actually the other, and, therefore, another typo/error in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jarviskj3 wrote:
I am 99% sure you are incorrect on the idea that there is only one ship. Over the course of the story, there are two ships.

1) "The Kraken" - The Navy vessel which sunk during the Great War. Our three veterans in Arkham were the only survivors of this sinking.

2) "The Saber" - The schooner which the "Innsmouth Connection" folks were using to facilitate their nefarious deeds in Arkham.

I don't have the questions from the end of the scenario in front of me, but it appeared that one of the questions asked about one of the ships mentioned above, and the answer was actually the other, and, therefore, another typo/error in this case.

The mixed up question plus the paragraph that talked about the ship when you explore it mentioning the dog tags of the other missing persons left me with the impression it was the same boat - raised kind of like a ghost ship. But I don't remember all the details and since we never actually found the clues about the second ship while playing, I just read that paragraph after, it's possible I just had a misunderstanding from the question and filled in that part of the story incorrectly. Your Interpretation makes total sense as well.

It's a real shame that a few cases had so many problems because the ones that don't play out really well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Waliszczak
Poland
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

I have just finished case six and I just can't help myself but to express my frustration. Just keep in mind that Mythos Tales is one of the greatest board game experiences ever created IMO but I hope that my comments turn '8th Summit's' to one of the problems I see with the game.

I don't want to repeat the complaints about a question or missing requirement card but something different.

After a spectacular defeat (just 6 points) I decided to read the Armitage's path and what I found spoiled the whole fun for me.
The firs location he visited was quite generic, so there is nothing to complain about, but then the fun begins. Our brilliant professor could NOT possibly get to the second location because he didn't know about it. What is more the location itself has time restriction, which prevents getting any useful information until a few movements later. It's one thing to be the master of deduction but it seems to me more like cheating.
A few locations later we get to a place where a requirement card is necessary and guess what, Armitage does NOT have the card. What is more, the entry location and the place that needs the card are in fact a single location, so in fact Armitage needed one less move to solve the case.
Finally, the last location gives access to some answers to critical questions. If only the professor had some requirement cards, which he does NOT have. He goes to this location only because it is convenient to go there, but he couldn't find any leads that would point him that direction nor cards that are required to read the supplement encounters and answer most question with the (*) question in particular.

I have noticed similar situation with the case 5, where Armitage has got nothing interesting from visiting the last three locations, so in fact he needed three less moves to solve the case.

I am very disappointed with the end of this case. I really hope that the game creators read this forum and will take my complaints into consideration while making expansions. I understand that making that kind of games is very long and complicated process and I admire 8th Summit's work but it is disheartening when you find out that even if you followed professor's steps you wouldn't get the same results.

Best
Fabster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.