BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: (WIP) Dead Cat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Kling
msg tools
designer

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some time ago I submitted a game to the nine card challenge here on BGG. It didn't win but the idea stuck and I continued to develop it further. Eventually I teamed up with a graphic designer and we decided to try to publish the game via Kickstarter. Here the elevator pitch:

Dead Cat is a bluffing and push your luck game that can be played in under 10 minutes with 2 to 4 people. It is family friendly, and the box is designed to be portable, so that it is light and convenient for one to carry it around, thus allowing games to be played during a train ride or on a plane.

We are quite far in the development and will go live soon but we are still looking to improve the writing of the rules. Writing understandable rules is a challenge in it self and you always need a third pair of eyes to look at it as many of you probably know. I hoped I could get this third pair of eyes here.

You can find the latest rule version under this link.

It would also be great to get some feedback on the artwork as well:

]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothe Lapetite
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
These artwork are simply awesome.
Since I'm a graphic design it's likely a totally biased point of view, but I'm really sensible to super graphic illustration, plus as a cat owner/lover, this totally kicks ass. Kudos

Will definetly back that, based solely on the design. Be sure to include some uncut sheets in the rewards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I do like the design. Two notes on the rules:
1) The singular of dice is die. You have one die or multiple dice.
2) It's late here, so my brain may just not be working, but I don't know what the very last bullet means.

Dead Cat rules wrote:
If you bet six you have to go down the next round and might lose if the dead cat hasn’t been revealed yet and somebody with a six announces that the cat is dead

Looks like an interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellie Edland

Iowa
msg tools
Just want to say I love the artwork so much! So cute and simple. And the game looks like fun. I also love the little story in the "Aim" section, it really sets the scene for the game!

I've read the rules and these are my only notes:
1. Like previous poster said 1 die or multiple dice (in some places you have actually written die instead of dice).
2. The way you spell Schrodinger is inconsistent: Schrodinger vs. Schroedinger
3. In Example 2 Maria turns into Mara for a second

Not much, but just a few things that I noticed. I hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Kling
msg tools
designer
Thank you all for the good feedback. I forwarded your praise to the graphic designer Timothe. She was very happy about it especially as it came from a fellow colleague.

Raithyn wrote:
1) The singular of dice is die. You have one die or multiple dice.
2) It's late here, so my brain may just not be working, but I don't know what the very last bullet means.

I corrected the die/dice mistake and rephrased the last bullet point to:

"Keep in mind that you have to change your die. This is especially important when you are betting a six because next turn you have to go down"

I hope that clarifies things. Let me know if it doesn't and I change it again. Thanks for your feedback Raithyn.

Thannon wrote:

1. Like previous poster said 1 die or multiple dice (in some places you have actually written die instead of dice).
2. The way you spell Schrodinger is inconsistent: Schrodinger vs. Schroedinger
3. In Example 2 Maria turns into Mara for a second
Not much, but just a few things that I noticed. I hope it helps!

Schrodinger is now written consistently I decided to use the English version Schrodinger. I also changed Mara to Maria.

It definitely helped. After reading trough this a dozen times I became blind to those kind of mistakes so thanks a lot Kellie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Kling
msg tools
designer
Preparing the Kickstarter we where thinking about adding some educational material on quantum physics.

Do you think that is something people are interested in? Would you be interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Kling
msg tools
designer
We went live on Kickstarter this weekend. Please feel free to give feedback on the Kickstarter campaign.

If you want to help us fund by sharing the campaign I can send you pictures to include in post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothe Lapetite
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
Just secured two copies :3
No uncut sheet available tho ;_;

I can only see this KS succeed.
Good luck !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Kling
msg tools
designer
Hey Timothe,

Thanks a lot for your support. We are looking into adding art prints as reward level. If we are doing this we want to do a high quality production. This means we are researching prices for screen printing jobs.
As you probably know we would need to go with a larger amount of prints to cut down on per unit costs which makes it quite hard to price the reward level.

Can you give us an estimation how much you would be willing to spend for an art print like that or if I misunderstood your comment what you would like to see as a reward level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothe Lapetite
Canada
Montreal
QC
flag msg tools
Hey Luca !

By uncut sheet I mean this kind of things : https://i.ytimg.com/vi/3Zrb0X0-xVA/maxresdefault.jpg

Depending on which printer you go with, it's something you might get during the proofing process, so limited number, and since I assume it's really a designer 'thing', limited interest as a reward tier.
As an exemple, a (finished) KS including uncut sheets : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/561205570/scala-archite...
In their case, 50 uncut sheets were added toward the end of the campaign as a late tier -- you paid the price of a deck to get a uncut sheet of the whole deck instead, so it's definitely not something cheap you can giveaway as an actual reward.

I guess a rough estimation of how much would I spend would be around the price of a 56-cards deck.

Art prints falls under the same category as uncut sheets when it comes to KS and 'on-the-side cool things', and tbh I ordered two decks to frame one ;p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.