Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gaining conditions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Knapp

Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
msg tools
This has only come up once so far since I started playing but are you allowed to choose to do something if that will give you a condition you already have? For example, can I use Michael McGlen's ability if he already is Wanted? I played it that you can't do it since you can't get the same condition, but since I just received Signs of Carcosa I will need to know how to use Michael by the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You played it correctly.

Page 4 of the reference rulebook says that an investigator cannot have two of the same condition. If you are offered a choice like Michael's and you already have the condition you would gain, you cannot choose to gain a second copy of the condition. Thus, you cannot take the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That depends. Are you being told to gain a condition, or is it part of a cost? If you're being told to do something, you do as much of what you're told to do as you can, and ignore anything you can't do. If it's part of a cost, you can't do it.

That is to say:

"Gain [something] and gain a Wanted Condition", means that you can gain something. If you already have a Wanted Condition, you ignore that part, since you can't gain a second copy of a condition.

"Gain [something] if you gain a Wanted Condition", means that if you have a Wanted Condition already, you can't do any of it, as gaining the condition is the price you pay for gaining the first thing.

In Michael's case, you can rob people even if you have a Wanted Condition already. It may even make it easier, if you think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Potter
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
You can keep using his ability. It's addressed in the faq. See this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1600195/michael-mcglen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp

Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
msg tools
Whoops, I totally missed that this is covered in the instruction book. Not sure how I missed it but there it is. Thanks anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.