Hide
4 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Road to Legend App Monster Generation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shayne Hull
msg tools
I recently bought Descent because the Road to Legend app offered me an option for solo play.

I want to paint the miniatures, but I was planning on painting them in the order I'd use them. So, I'd just paint the ones I need for the first scenario, play that scenario, then paint the ones for the second scenario, play that scenario, etc. This is mainly because it takes me some time to paint the figures. The less I have to paint before playing, the soon I'll get to play.

I seem to have, however, come across a problem with this. Once a scenario offers an open monster group as an option, am I right in assuming the app randomly generates this group from any of my available monsters? So, if I paint the zombies because they match the scenario symbol, the app could instead generate the barghests (which I haven't yet painted) because they also match the scenario symbol?

It's not the end of the world, as I could simply play them unpainted, but I would prefer them to be painted. And I will paint them all eventually.

I'm just curious as to whether all my planning on which figures to paint first is actually in vain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
it's like an accident that we keep on knitting
badge
and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's going to pull from all of your available monsters, so you're going to have a rough time painting them in order of appearance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are planning to play the (completely scripted) tutorial quest and the rise of all goblins "campaign", then the first monsters to paint are:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Zombies
Barghests
Flesh Moulders
Ettins
Goblin archers
The Split lieutenant figure (only if you have the lieutenant pack)

As all other monsters are randomly generated and side quests are also randomly picked each campaign, it is impossible to be more precise. The only way to guarantee that you will never have to play with unpainted monsters is, in fact, to paint them all before playing.

But start with the above mentioned monsters and you have at least the first quest covered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Yes, but you can edit your collection in the app and it'll re-adjust mid-campaign. So you could just paint the base set to start with, and only tag yourself as owning the other bits as you paint them. Obviously that will restrict your hero and class choice a little at the start through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.