Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So played my first game with my 10 year old son.

I had a bad draw, putting Argentium out of reach for a few turns, but had a decent fleet, took over Corsica, was doing fine.

Then the legions came. Unable to win a battle, the board mostly filled up, losing units to battle losses, usually my cheap cav that could raid, etc. not to mention some bad event card draws...

If Carthage gets behind in such a situation, what can Carthage do?

Other than not get behind in income and swords...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agrigentum is never out of reach. You just have to make it the Carthaginian priority:

Hold Clupea + ship + colonist in your hand and you have it.

How to beat legions?

Greek Mercenaries, Carthaginian Infantry, Libyan Spearman, Numidian Cavalry, Elephants and combined armed bonus.

One of the most bone-headed things the Romans can do is draft all 4 legions quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep this in mind.

4 legions = 4 actions = 8 swords.

Numidian cavalry + Greek mercenaries + Carthaginian Infantry + Baleric Slingers = 4 actions = 8 swords. (remember: combined arms bonus)

He spent 18 silver. You spent 20.

And if he loses the battle, you have cavalry advantage.

If you draw, he sends a legion to the Empire Deck. You send the 2 silver Baleric Slingers.

Trust me: I tried the "Draft all 4 legions ASAP and kick Carthage's butt across Sicily strategy" many times. You know how many times it worked? Zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As Carthage, try to have your navy control the battle location's Sea Zone (if a coastal location) - that way, Rome cannot reinforce the Legion(s) via sea (ship symbols).

Rome putting a Legion (or two) into Reserve can be quite disconcerting to Carthage. The mere threat of the Roman Legions can do enough harm if Carthage allows it.

As Carthage, consider attacking in order to force your opponent to play cards in defense which can then wreak havoc on Roman offensive plans. If you can't win, at least try to Draw the battle (remember though, Cavalry Superiority does not apply in a battle Draw) so that each side loses one troop (hopefully a Legion).

Using Cavalry to successfully Raid Roman front-line towns can indirectly frustrate those Legions since you're eliminating their launch points for an attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But when you raid, if it is blocked, then, there goes your cav for that trip through the deck...

I felt like I was trying to apply all the right pressure. Lose a battle or two and it's tough to get back up to par. A poorly timed Bad Omens/Die roll destroyed my chance at a comeback.

Can Carthage come back if they have some early setbacks, or are they like the US in Twilight Struggle where you have to be careful early not to lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
But when you raid, if it is blocked, then, there goes your cav for that trip through the deck...

True, but if your opponent uses the (in supply) target location card to block the Raid, then it goes to their discard pile and can't be used to launch an attack from that location until reshuffled and drawn again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

Can Carthage come back if they have some early setbacks, or are they like the US in Twilight Struggle where you have to be careful early not to lose?

Yes, you can come back. Strategy cards and random events change luck quickly. And use your Carthaginian strengths, rather then try to out-Rome Rome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

Yes, you can come back. Strategy cards and random events change luck quickly. And use your Carthaginian strengths, rather then try to out-Rome Rome.

But when that storms at sea just happens to trash your fleet, or you get the one that reduces your battle strength by 1... or both...

I'm terrible at deck-builders like this though, so there's that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
WICHITA
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
airjudden wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

But when that storms at sea just happens to trash your fleet, or you get the one that reduces your battle strength by 1... or both...

I'm terrible at deck-builders like this though, so there's that.

Keep at it. You'll get better. I lost my entire fleet from a naval disaster as Carthage and still won this week (not against Dan). I just went on the attack all the time and overran most of Sicily.

When Dan and I played, we traded sides every time. With Rome, I got into this phase of trying the "Draft Legions quickly and override Sicily" strategy. After about 3 failures, Dan was like, "Dude, that strategy doesn't work." (Not an exact quote). I watched what he was doing to me as Rome and started implementing that strategy. Of course, he was always one step ahead of me.

I'm not very good at deckbuilders, but 1,300 games of Star Realms on my phone has taught me a couple of things. The rest I learned from Dan. I'm now went from "Really bad" to "below average." So if I say, "Everything I am, I owe to Dan" doesn't sound like much of a compliment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Torni
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As Carthage, is initiating your own attack as a diversion a viable strategy?

If Rome uses their best cards for defence, you could be stonger in a more important battleground.

Or is this kind of thinking trying to out-Rome Rome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Zorbo2000 wrote:
As Carthage, is initiating your own attack as a diversion a viable strategy?

It's a valid tactic for either side given the right circumstances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pillaging can be an attractive option for Carthage, especially when they have the 'Pillaging' strategy card in play.

In a ftf contest yesterday, my opponent had 4 Legions in his reserve. I then successfully Pillaged him (remember, can only do this for one of your two actions) on consecutive tries, looting 4 Silver per, plus discarding a card from his hand (again via the strategy card).

Impacting Rome's economy, while building up Carthage's, and also impacting Rome's cards in hand, saved the contest for me. The VP's from repeated Pillaging proved the difference as Carthage prevailed by a single VP.

So don't despair, there are several potential foils for Carthage when faced with the might of Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.