5 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: House Rule - Capturing and Transporting Reavers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As a start thinking about what the job deck for THE BLACK MARKET might look like, I realize that I may want a small group of jobs that involve capturing and transporting Reavers.

Dangerous work, I know. But that's why The Black Market exists! Also, Bill has given us some fancy new images to use, including Reaver Space and the Reaver Cutters - I want to use 'em.

So, The Black Market will include a few jobs that allow you to load Reavers, sort of like a Piracy Job, likely with a Boarding Test followed by a Fight to load X Reavers.

But, unlike a Piracy Job, you need to go somewhere else to deliver them. So, basically, a mix of Piracy and Transport. In fact, the jobs would probably count as both.

Once onboard, Reavers count as Fugitives, but with a few additional rules. To distinguish them you could either place Reaver Alert tokens on Fugitives... or just put Reaver Alert tokens in your Hold (although slightly smaller than the square chits, the scale is still correct).

So what are the differences between Reavers and regular Fugitives?

I would say that if you encounter the Reaver Cutter and Fight, the Reavers currently on your ship cause you trouble - you take a penalty to Fight equal to the number of Reavers onboard.

Additionally, I have to imagine that transporting Reavers is dangerous business, and things could easily go wrong. I like the mechanism in a few of the Kalidasa Nav cards:

Roll a Dice: If your roll is lower than the total of Passenger and Fugitive tokens on your ship, discard a number equal to your roll.

I would envision that this roll is made at the beginning of every turn that you have Reavers on your ship. Perhaps it can be mitigated downward by Soldiers or even Mercs?

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Capturing Reavers?! You on the crazy juice? (I think someone's spent too long staring into the big black.)

I'm very curious to see the story/reasons behind capturing Reavers so will wait for you to show us your great ideas Gwek but in the meantime...

A Reaver Alert on top of the Fugitive token would be best: it helps remind you that it's a live, (extremely) kicking Fugitive. (It also allows the possibility that if the Reaver dies (so you just have the body), then remove the Fugitive token and replace it with Contraband?)

I agree that Reavers would cause a lot of trouble if they break their restraints. At first I thought the disadvantages you described (for Reaver attacks and Reaver unrest) weren't high enough, but I guess it's easier (i.e. less time consuming) to do that than make a separate 'Escape' test then apply the penalty or make an Unrest check (at a higher penalty - say double). Statistically it probably amounts to the same to take the simple route.

In terms of professions that help, Soldier is good, but not sure I see the benefits of Merc - you may as well give bonuses for Fight. On the other hand, Medic might be useful (it's not inappropriate to use tranqs and sedation).

A side thought: Lawmen and Fugitives on the same boat. That's a combination that should make for interesting times...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Debler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thoughts on the game mechanics of capturing Reavers:
Boarding Test makes sense, though I'd say only Tech should apply, and even then it probably takes 8+. I feel like a Fighting Test is what it'd take after that, naturally.

I too would imagine that any Fighting Tests when Reavers attack would suffer at least -1 Fighting per Reaver Token.

I could also see Reavers imposing a penalty on Nav encounters while they're on-board, representing the extra difficulty to transporting such Fugitives. Again, I imagine a -1 or -2 per token. I'd expect this would only be on Fighting and Negotiating rolls, but perhaps it could even be a penalty on Tech rolls too as a result of the Reavers being a general distraction.

Reavers having the potential to eat Passengers/Fugitives on-board each turn makes sense too.

Finally, I could see the Cryo-Status helping by negating the Reaver-on-board penalties. It might be something like "gear or equipment which prevents jumping bounties can prevent these penalties".

Overall, I love the idea of Black Market Reaver Pit Fights. The payout for the job would have to be REALLY GOOD to make the job worthwhile, but it is thematically a REALLY COOL concept!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good call re: Tech-only Boarding Test. Not sure about upping the target just because that's another complication. I'm not sure I'll be able to fit everything on the card as is!

I'm thinking that there may be three different variations of Reaver grabs:

Reaver Cutter: Boarding Test. Fight 8. Load up to 6.

Reaver Space: Boarding Test. Fight 10. Load unlimited.

Miranda: No Boarding Test. Fight 12. Load unlimited.

Or something like that.

All Jobs will be Immoral and likely pay $500 per Reaver delivered.

I don't disagree re: Reavers imposing all manner of penalty, but I don't want to get too complicated. Honestly, the Crew should automatically become Disgruntled, too, but I want to make these jobs challenging, not impossible!

Quote:
Reavers having the potential to eat Passengers/Fugitives on-board each turn makes sense too.

That's the roll, right? You roll every turn and might lose Passengers/Fugitives (including Reavers). You pick who you want to go.

Quote:
Finally, I could see the Cryo-Status helping by negating the Reaver-on-board penalties. It might be something like "gear or equipment which prevents jumping bounties can prevent these penalties".

Good idea. I'll have to think about how to best balance it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Moshuku wrote:
In terms of professions that help, Soldier is good, but not sure I see the benefits of Merc - you may as well give bonuses for Fight. On the other hand, Medic might be useful (it's not inappropriate to use tranqs and sedation).

I want to keep it simple, although if there's room, perhaps some medical equipment is in order.

With respect to Merc vs Soldier: I could almost see unruly Mercs as better at keeping Reavers in line than disciplined Soldiers, from a certain perspective.

Quote:
A side thought: Lawmen and Fugitives on the same boat. That's a combination that should make for interesting times...

This is an element that I'll be playing with a bit in THE BLACK MARKET and SYFY'S FRIDAY KNIGHTS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.