Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Which expansions to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
So while Im waiting for the KDM kickstarter in november, Im trying to figure out which expansions I "should" buy. Which expansions do you KDM pros out there think is the most fun, or bring the most gameplay value to the core game?

One that Im definately going to buy is the dung beetle knight because, well, he looks friggin awesome (considering of course that the expansions will be available as add ons in the Kickstarter)

Big thanks in advance for your opinions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Sharkey
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Speaking as someone that is an expansion completionist, i would still just stick with the base game unless there is discount on expansions (doubtful).

It will take you awhile to finish the base campaign. Even after knowing the first years and playing solo it too, me well over a solid weekend of play, amd a lot of lucky moments to pull it off.

After that i would say the Dragon King or People of the Stars expansions as they are new campaigns. If you have the spare money (~$800) then yea defintely grab all the expansions as they are great. But then there are olenty of really cool promo minis that are just cool characters that you can use for your player minis and those run $20-35 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Styfen wrote:
Depends what you want.

Best Quarries (in order)?
Gorm
Sunstalker
Dung Beetle Knight

Best Nemesis?
Manhunter

Makes the game easier?
Flower Knight

Makes the game harder?
Lion God

Avoid till last?
Spidicules
Lonely Tree

---

Also, a lot of people will froth about the Dragon King. Overall the Dragon King is not as good as the Sunstalker (they're comparable expansions). The campaign in the Dragon King is generally better and more challenging, but the Sunstalker is the better quarry to hunt in the core game campaign and it has the highest level of gear quality out of any monster you hunt. Not enough people realise how good the Sunstalker is and how you should include it as a quarry whenever you have the opportunity.

Hmm interesting in what way does the flower Knight make the game easier? Is it an easy quarry with good item drops or is it an story event that makes it easier or...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vespertine bow. And Fencing, if you will fight the other knights at some point in the game..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
Depends what you want.

Best Quarries (in order)?
Gorm
Sunstalker
Dung Beetle Knight

Best Nemesis?
Manhunter

Makes the game easier?
Flower Knight

Makes the game harder?
Lion God

Avoid till last?
Spidicules
Lonely Tree

---

Also, a lot of people will froth about the Dragon King. Overall the Dragon King is not as good as the Sunstalker (they're comparable expansions). The campaign in the Dragon King is generally better and more challenging, but the Sunstalker is the better quarry to hunt in the core game campaign and it has the highest level of gear quality out of any monster you hunt. Not enough people realise how good the Sunstalker is and how you should include it as a quarry whenever you have the opportunity.

What's wrong with spidicules? It looks like a neat expansion to me..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmb
There's nothing wrong with it, per say, but it's not as good as any other quarry expansion. It's supposed to replace the antelope, which locks out a lot of the nice gear at, say, the barber surgeon. I think a lot of people are just adding it in, rather than replacing the antelope, because of this.

The silk armour is basically garbage - it's not especially interesting or powerful (unlike Cycloid Scale or Gorment armour) and you can't even complete the set (unlocking a distinctly average bonus) without hunting a L3 Spidicules. It's a real shame, I love the silk armour models, but even in a game with the spidicules I'd probably not craft it. The spidicules model is gorgeous but kinda annoying on the board, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few thoughts on the spidicules: link

I mostly agree with fen's list, from what I've played, with Gorm and Flower Knight as what I'd recommend first, since they're early quarries and provide good stuff, so you can expect to fight them a fair bit.

And I'd highly recommend the dragon king if you can find it for anything resembling a reasonable price (or it's there for the KS), because the expansion is so enjoyable-- think it's hugely better paced and coordinated than the core campaign, though it's also more complex so it makes sense to not be the first you go through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the big expansions like I do then I highly recommend Sunstalker. The gear and armor set are amazing and you get a new special hunt event (Sky Fishing). Sunstalker also contains the only other (at this time) major campaign variant aside from Dragon King; People of the Sun. It is a fun campaign with a very different timeline and gives you a chance to try out builds the core campaign's tempo wouldn't let you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Popping in to repeat what I've said in another thread:

I would buy the expansions with the most fun fights. You spend most of your time in game fighting, so you want to make sure that's a good time for you.

This poll https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1577679/poll-your-favorite-..., shows the most popular expansion fights are the Flower Knight (as quarry) and the Slenderman (as Nemesis), so I would get those first, followed by the Dung Beetle Knight. After that things are clustered more closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emmit svenson wrote:

I would buy the expansions with the most fun fights. You spend most of your time in game fighting, so you want to make sure that's a good time for you.

This poll https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1577679/poll-your-favorite-..., shows the most popular expansion fights are the Flower Knight (as quarry) and the Slenderman (as Nemesis), so I would get those first, followed by the Dung Beetle Knight. After that things are clustered more closely.

That poll may bit a bit biased though, since it does not take into account if you actually own all the expansions. People may like Flower knight better than the base game quarries, but that may be all they own besides the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
It's not a double blind controlled experiment, so there's all kinds of ways it might be biased. It's not a particularly large sample size, they have self-selected to participate, etc, etc.

It's nice to have some measure of folks' opinions, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, depending on the collective experience of the community, results may vary wildly even with the same sampling.

Just consider that a year ago everyone carried bone darts everywhere, fecal salve drew into late game and the watcher had still some sort of street cred.

By playing more, we refine expectations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really enjoyed fighting the Flower Knight and definitely see the high value of his bow, but we did not get it first try and my girlfriend has decided he is a waste of time since his resources
Spoiler (click to reveal)
disappear if you don't use them immediately and it doesn't seem overly easy to get the bow in one fight unless it is level 2+.
I love the Flower Knight and am making a pretty special miniature of him so I might restrict him so the level 1 isn't possible to fight, I would honestly like him to be a bit stronger. We also did not read ahead with the sleeping flower virus and when the survivor died I rubbed out his sheet before the story which made it somewhat difficult! Don't do that.

Aside from hoping for the bow first try against him I don't see a huge amount of value. The sleeping virus is good but the gear doesn't seem to transfer to the next survivor which I thought was odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Wannes
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
emmit svenson wrote:

I have been eyeing the flower Knight too, I might consider getting him alongside the dung beetle Knight. As for big expansions Im thinking sunstalker. We will see if there will be other, new expansions for this KS. Personally I hope for the Chosen as a nemesis or something other game related. The coolest miniature in KDM that Ive seen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got to put in a word for the Spidicules:

He's a great hunt. The biggest way to alter the core campaign is to alter the early hunts, so Spidicules changes the game as much as the Gorm, and I honestly like how he does it.

People have issues with him because he replaces the screaming antelope- so that you can't hunt both in the same campaign. Honestly, I haven't seen this be an issue- any hunt that you add will leave out something else (doing a PoL campaign right now in which we added a Sunstalker- and we will not have time to fight the phoenix).

The fight against Spidicules is a lot of fun as well.

If you desperately want to fight both a Spidicules and Screaming Antelope, then just add him to year 3. In that case, you'll likely not have time to fight a gorm or white lion, but so what? Just do more campaigns.

Don't be a completionist in any given campaign. Just embrace that you'll need to play another campaign in order to do some of the other cool things available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I want to like him; Spidicules is getting a bad rap on here. He looks to be only above the Lonely Tree in terms of expansion quality. And its hard for me to disagree honestly. $100 for Spidicules gets you a monster that removes a lot of game content by virtue of being included, has frustrating encounters/uncontrollable after-effects from said encounters, and has an armor set that is virtually impossible to complete.

What else can you get for $100 you might ask? Sunstalker! The Sunstalker provides the quite excellent People of the Sun campaign, really cool gear, and an armor set that is IMO one of the best in the game so far (prismatic is just too good).

Spidicules is one of those expansions I really wanted to like but the more I read about it from others and thought on it myself......its deserving of its spot on the bottom next to the Lonely Tree. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, actually spidicules add a lot of content for what they bring. Besides gorm (that is excellent), it is the only expansion to add settlement events. It uses the Forest gate instead of overwhelming darkness (a lot more interesting imho).

The armor set is a good mid game, the other gear ranges from average to great (the katars are the only reason I still consider katars as a weapon specialization, not including dbk ones that I love, can be calcified and are situationally great in hunt phase). All equipment (except the full set) scales great early to mid game.

Silk surgeon is a one of a kind SFA that levels up and is great.

Legless ball mechanics are funny, rewarding and well thought out. The showdown itself is extremely funny, very tactical, with unusual placement and can turn around every turn.

The taken storyline is immersive, and you might also use it as a way to fix your broken veterans.

Silk management is a subgame in itself.

Heck, even the disorders are funny!

If spidicules was just that, it would have been flower knight++. So, why the bad rap?

1. Nobody likes auto -1pop.
2. You have to exchange this with a small innovation, a early game settlement location that eases a bit difficult starts, you replace an easy, situational armor set with a moderately difficult, scaling one.
3. You lose some synergy. You close doors on lion knight warlord set (and the dancer? Never tried it), you lose some sunstalker gear (again, I never used it as a quarry, but whatever).
4. The aftermath keeps making you return to hunt spidicules, with a vengeance. Flavorful at first, a burden real quick.
5. The model is impractical. This is a non issue to me, since I place it scenically at the start of the showdown and then proceed to only move the base below (still cumbersome, but again: whatever, this is a game for showing off). I guess that a lot of players are compelled to move everything, every time, for the sake of realism.

I like spidicules a lot. That said, I always found the antelope boring and never used barber surgeon a lot (whilst pottery would have come in handy with the dbk).

So, I think that we can summarize it like this: if the antelope unnerves you, give spidicules a try. Expansions are there to change pieces of game, this one does it, literally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An addition and a clarification:
When I say that the full set does not scale well early to mid game, is because it is unlikely that you can get the full set before LY9-10 as a minimum (yes, L3 spidicules is more difficult than L1 phoenix).

The addition is: hey, spidicules gear change the game if you are the monster controller!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
The -1 population from Young Rivals could be a bad blow to a struggling early settlement, but in my experience settlements soon recoup that loss and have net population gains by having all survivors search the Silk Nest every Spidicules fight.

Spidicules gear has to be used to be appreciated. For example, the combo halaberd/spear stats don't really show how deadly it can be if you can figure out how to get a monster to collide with your survivors over and over. Harvesting Silk from Egg Sacs isn't as great as Acanthus from a Antelope fight, but it's quite useful to pay generic resource costs.

But all this is beside the point, as far as I'm concerned. I find the Spidicules to be a fun fight, more fun than the Gorm or Antelope or Sunstalker. I'd rather have more fun fighting than slightly better rewards or gear. And if I ever feel like getting Spidicules gear is setting me back, I'll give a red savior an Amber Edge and go kill something fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Guerrero
Spain
Sevilla
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mb
emmit svenson wrote:
The -1 population from Young Rivals could be a bad blow to a struggling early settlement, but in my experience settlements soon recoup that loss and have net population gains by having all survivors search the Silk Nest every Spidicules fight.

Spidicules gear has to be used to be appreciated. For example, the combo halaberd/spear stats don't really show how deadly it can be if you can figure out how to get a monster to collide with your survivors over and over. Harvesting Silk from Egg Sacs isn't as great as Acanthus from a Antelope fight, but it's quite useful to pay generic resource costs.

But all this is beside the point, as far as I'm concerned. I find the Spidicules to be a fun fight, more fun than the Gorm or Antelope or Sunstalker. I'd rather have more fun fighting than slightly better rewards or gear. And if I ever feel like getting Spidicules gear is setting me back, I'll give a red savior an Amber Edge and go kill something fast.

I think it would be cool to consider the 'fun' or 'difference' they add to a campaign than just the utility of the gear or such things.

If i finally support the KS (and everything is available) i think i'll get Flower Knight, Slenderman, Lantern Festival and not sure if Sunstalker or Dragon King. From what i've read i think they add more variety than the others (not sure on the nemesis, but is the mini i like the most and manhunter seems to make they game really hard xD).

Obviously everything can change if Adam creates more coolness for the KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.