Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enrique Dueñas
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Look, I LOVE this game. Best version of RISK ever, hands down.

But... aren't your games too short? I mean, playing with 4 players and without buying crown cards, still, someone get the 7th crown around the 30 minute mark. Sometimes the 20 minute mark! I can see people around here that says that their games last 2 hours, but I don't see how is that even possible.

Last time I played, I decide to change the victory conditions to 10 crowns. And it worked TOO well, I fear. Things went on, and on, and on, and we stopped after 3 and a half hours.

Are we doing something wrong? Maybe 8 crowns is the perfect victory condition? There is some "house rules" around that can help me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That... doesn't sound likely. Maybe that could happen in your first game or two, but there should be enough conflict over the crown territories on the board that the game can't be steam-rollered in 30 minutes unless 3-out-of-4 players are just rolling over and taking it. I mean, there just aren't that many of them for them to be uncontested.

You are playing that you lose crowns that you've got if you lose the crown territory, right? You don't get the crown in front of you, it stays on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Dueñas
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I know it sounds like we are doing something wrong. I promise we are following 100% the rules of the game. Not a single change.

And, of course we know how to score, Andy! We are not newbies!

Maybe is just a matter of dumb luck?

Anyway I want to say, again, that we all liked this game. It's just that we feel that the war ends when things start to become interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tumorco wrote:
And, of course we know how to score, Andy! We are not newbies!

Maybe is just a matter of dumb luck?

Fair enough. No offence meant. I do find, though, that even experienced gamers can get things wrong in new games - sometimes especially so, as assumptions are carried over from previous games, and all it takes is someone to say "are you sure about X...?" for the penny to drop. It's certainly happened to me enough times that I know that there's no "of course" about it.

I'd think dumb luck could certainly play a role if it's just one or two games, but the impression you've given is that this has happened more often than that. So yeah, I think you need to double check you're following all the rules properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you're just all super-efficient players!

I always assumed the catapult/castle mechanic was sufficient to forestall a very quick victory...

That said, I have not yet played a 4 player game, and have used mercs instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once, 4 players, and had the opposite experience. I really enjoyed the game but we had to stop after a few hours. Anytime someone was close others were keeping them in check so crowns kept changing hands and nobody could quite finish it. We were playing with buying crowns and I'm sure it would have ended before too much longer due to that but you can only buy crowns so fast without leaving yourself too vulnerable in board position (thus giving crowns away to others).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
30-minute games? More 'revenge' sessions to play same day! I'm wondering if any one player was the better strategist, and/or luckier with the dice? Tell us how your future games go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Dueñas
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'm talking about four games here, not one thousand. So yes, probably, luck is involved.

I would say that most of us always try to be very "efficient" when playing. That means that there is very little conflict, just some battles at the very end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorco wrote:
Look, I LOVE this game. Best version of RISK ever, hands down.

But... aren't your games too short? I mean, playing with 4 players and without buying crown cards, still, someone get the 7th crown around the 30 minute mark. Sometimes the 20 minute mark! I can see people around here that says that their games last 2 hours, but I don't see how is that even possible.

Last time I played, I decide to change the victory conditions to 10 crowns. And it worked TOO well, I fear. Things went on, and on, and on, and we stopped after 3 and a half hours.

Are we doing something wrong? Maybe 8 crowns is the perfect victory condition? There is some "house rules" around that can help me?

Played once with 4 players and we finished around 90 minutes. 30 minutes is fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Morocco
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You got some fast decision making players! I could technically see how that was possible with 4 grognards.

How familiar are each of the players with Risk Europe?

Perhaps if each of them had +5 games under their belt I could see how the theoretically could happen; especially with aggressive play.

However the typically game should be around 50-90 minutes. Especially with trash talk, jokes and breaks for beer run/rest room.

Your experience may differ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Next time video record your play. I would like to know how to finish this game in 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
tumorco wrote:
I'm talking about four games here, not one thousand. So yes, probably, luck is involved.

I would say that most of us always try to be very "efficient" when playing. That means that there is very little conflict, just some battles at the very end.

Battles are the only way to stop another players expansion. If there are very few battles taking place then the game will be a race to see who can occupy the most cities. Are you using the command cards for movement and the other actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madmat wrote:
?.. However the typically game should be around 50-90 minutes. Especially with trash talk, jokes and breaks for beer run/rest room. :D
Your experience may differ...

WHAT?!?!? BEER RUN???
No second fridge full of soda pop with the foam on top?
Sounds like a logistics problem!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've just played one game, but I cannot imagine how you finish in 30 minutes. That seems impossible. Can you explain how you are getting crowns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrique Dueñas
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mb
We played today. And yes, we were doing something wrong. Something quite silly, actually:

We started with 10 gold each and we didn't do the bidding thing (we decided the first player throwing a dice). I don't know why, but I was SURE that the rules stated that each player began with two big coins.

Also, we didn't tax correctly: we took money from all our territories, no matter if they were connected or not, and taking into account even territories at war.

Sooooo we just had much more money much earlier.

Now, do you know what to do if you want 30 minute games whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorco wrote:
We played today. And yes, we were doing something wrong. Something quite silly, actually:

We started with 10 gold each and we didn't do the bidding thing (we decided the first player throwing a dice). I don't know why, but I was SURE that the rules stated that each player began with two big coins.

Also, we didn't tax correctly: we took money from all our territories, no matter if they were connected or not, and taking into account even territories at war.

Sooooo we just had much more money much earlier.

Now, do you know what to do if you want 30 minute games :whistle:

You created a speed variant. Congrats!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.