Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/sep/25/board-gam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's in The Guardian, and it is very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice article - hits all the points such an introductory article needs to make for a noob audience.

The crucial bit that hit home for me : ".. bring people back together in a way that’s not just staring at screens"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The links in the article refer to bgg. Fame at last!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1643630/article-about-gamin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Market research group NPD, which claims to measure around 70% of the UK toy trade, has recorded a 20% rise during the past year in the sales of tabletop games (including card and dice games, war games played with miniature figures and role-play titles such as Dungeons & Dragons, in which players imagine themselves as heroic warriors and wizards in imaginary, fantasy worlds)."

Is a good figure to know, since occasionally people wind up looking for measurable data on the boom in board gaming, but since most board game publishers aren't publicly traded they don't have any requirement to make their figures public.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to hear, the niche is certainly getting bigger, but still far from being 'mainstream'.

I've never seen anything outside the usual mix of Monopoly and Cluedo variants and the endless trivia games in any regular shops here in the UK. Certainly nothing like a Euro-game, people I know who consider themselves boardgame fans have never even heard of Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim RTC wrote:
Nice to hear, the niche is certainly getting bigger, but still far from being 'mainstream'.

I've never seen anything outside the usual mix of Monopoly and Cluedo variants and the endless trivia games in any regular shops here in the UK. Certainly nothing like a Euro-game, people I know who consider themselves boardgame fans have never even heard of Carcassonne.

Depending on how you define regular shops, most Waterstones carry some games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizensha wrote:
"Market research group NPD, which claims to measure around 70% of the UK toy trade, has recorded a 20% rise during the past year in the sales of tabletop games (including card and dice games, war games played with miniature figures and role-play titles such as Dungeons & Dragons, in which players imagine themselves as heroic warriors and wizards in imaginary, fantasy worlds)."

Is a good figure to know, since occasionally people wind up looking for measurable data on the boom in board gaming, but since most board game publishers aren't publicly traded they don't have any requirement to make their figures public.

I think this statistic needs some context. A 20% rise in games sales could be due to increased game prices and not necessarily from more games being sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I visited Travelling Man comic and games shop in Leeds over the summer and couldn't believe how packed full of diverse and lovely folk it was. What a fantastic place, and great to see the hobby booming in shops, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim RTC wrote:

Catan and expansions are regular found in the larger toy stores/departments here as well as Ticket to Ride (plus TtR Europe but strangely, not Nordic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizensha wrote:
Tim RTC wrote:

Depending on how you define regular shops, most Waterstones carry some games.

Heffers in Cambridge, a bookshop owned by Blackwells, has a massive stock of board games in and regularly runs board game nights.

Again, might not be a 'regular' shop but at least board games are starting to pop up here and there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.