Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Lindrupsen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

I am going to buy Descent to play it with Road to Legend with my gf. We are thinking about buying just the core box and the figure that FFG suggested to go with Kindred Fire.

Will this be enough to enjoy the campaign? I feel that the expansions doesn't really add that much when playing it with the app, and I am wondering why you only get one side quest from a really expensive expansion, when the actual expansion comes with many quests.

I understand that I will get new heroes, items and monsters, but is it worth it, or is it enough to have the core box to play it?

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud smoker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
For start the core box is more then enough then if you really love the game and suffer of OCD , like me :-) and many others here, you will end up buy everything.

Good Luck and Happy boardgames !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As loud smoker said the core game box is enough to play.

All the other stuff you buy s optional and will add less to the game. The large box expansions are the best value since the 4 new heroes and classes will give the most variety. All the monsters and tiles will be used randomly by the app so they show up infrequently.

After the large expansions I feel the small expansions are best since again there's more new heroes and classes. Just note that the Bile hall one (I think) does not have heroes so is far less interesting with the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
core set..
dungeon 1 .. oo flesh molders cool.. room two.. oo meroids cool
dungeon 2.. erm felsh molder again.. room 2 barghests cool
dungeon 3.. ah bargehsts.. room 2 flesh molders! again..

conditions's: crippled, stunned .. I forgot but expansions add more

+expansions

dungeon 1 .. oo bandits cool.. room two.. oo meriods cool
dungeon 2.. argh Ice dragon thing! cool room 2 Fireimps! cool
dungeon 3.. ah Meroids.. at least id delt with you before 2 fracking GOLEMS!

conditions : crippled, poisoned, burning,doomed, bleeding Terrified..etc..

+ storage issues :-)

new monsters can change things up quite a bit last night i was really slowed down by the sludge effect of the undead abominations, and spider cocoons,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
core set..
dungeon 1 .. oo flesh molders cool.. room two.. oo meroids cool
dungeon 2.. erm felsh molder again.. room 2 barghests cool
dungeon 3.. ah bargehsts.. room 2 flesh molders! again..

conditions's: crippled

+expansions

dungeon 1 .. oo bandits cool.. room two.. oo meriods cool
dungeon 2.. argh Ice dragon thing! cool room 2 Fireimps! cool
dungeon 3.. ah Meroids.. at least id delt with you before 2 fracking GOLEMS!

conditions : crippled, poisoned, burning, Terrified..etc..

new monsters can change things up quite a bit last night i was really slowed down by the sludge effect of the undead abominations, and spider cocoons,

Which expansions did you play with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have 2 expansions, Labyrinth of Ruin and Manor of Ravens. Thus far the game has only used 3 monsters from them, while every quest seems to have barghests and goblin archers.

Still seems to me that monsters just add to a random table so seeing lots of then is luck dependent. Getting heroes and classes gives you immediate options. Your mileaget will probably vary a lot dependent on how many expansions you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Lair of the Worm, Crusade of the Forgotten, and Oath of the Outcast. We've done the Rise of All Goblins & almost finished Kindred Fire. So far we've faced every monster in our collection except the Goloms from Crusade. As an example last night we played "Glade of All Illusions" and faced at least 8 different monsters.

I know my collection is small compared to some of the regular posters here but I've been very pleased about all the different monsters we have played with. I want to get a big box expansion (probibly Labyrinth of Ruin) especially if FFG puts out a new campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i've got all boxes except rust and 4 monster packs i'm not sure which with looking..
chose based on cheapest on offer. or monsters i liked, got splig , Dragon and orgre and ratman lts.. not seen one yet though

forgotten crusade/crown/wilds/+?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For a cheap way to expand the variety, buy the conversion pack. It gives you a ton of monsters. Then, you can tell the software you have most of the monster packs. if you are a stickler for current stats, you can look up which monsters have changes form their conversion pack stats to the new stats and print up cover papers and insert them into the card sleeves. You can, of course, proxy the monster figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Lindrupsen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up buying:

Core box
Shards of Everdark
Bonds of the Wild

We played the tutorial and "prison break" from the mini campaign tonight!

We won the tutorial, but lost horribly at "prison break". Must have done something completely wrong there!

The "Prison Break" quest took us almost 3 hours as well, it felt like it ran a little bit too long. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one knowing the system,, not playing much vs overlord
RTL is now showing me tactics for heros and overlords though in a Mavel/DC Branic way only to my mind...

currently i'm thinking if i don't over think or check rules setup to tear down 1 adventure = 2 hours? but it might be adventure specific i recently played a side quest and i think it took about 3 hours but i was 1 turn away from winning due to a 2nd or 3rd major peril... i think i could have played smarter more efficiently? im sure i got the base gobln quests in under that time before expansions

some quest seem to have a " do you remember this bit" mechanic do this = pain now or maybe do it latter in the quest next time round... for more replayabilty?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kostin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sennaho wrote:
I ended up buying:

Core box
Shards of Everdark
Bonds of the Wild

We played the tutorial and "prison break" from the mini campaign tonight!

We won the tutorial, but lost horribly at "prison break". Must have done something completely wrong there!

The "Prison Break" quest took us almost 3 hours as well, it felt like it ran a little bit too long. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

I find prison break to be the hardest quest in the application...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What expansion(s) should I get too add some more heroes (especially female) to the game? Also, what figure is it that is recommended for Kindred Fire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beighel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just about all the expansion boxes give you new heroes, the Bilehall one is the only exception. The big box expansions have 4 heroes each., the small boxes have 2 each. The hero and monster packs I think have 2 or 4 heroes each.

I don't know which have females though, it should say on the boxes what is inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"crusade of the forgotten" has 4 female heros i think hope i'm not gender confusing any elves

its also got Golems one medusae and sorcerers monsters

other packs seem more mixed..with heros..

just been tipped over the edge and ordered remaining packs, all im lacking is alot of lts..

but just had a 3 game solo session with some close games. love it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
"crusade of the forgotten" has 4 female heros i think hope i'm not gender confusing any elves

its also got Golems one medusae and sorcerers monsters

other packs seem more mixed..with heros..

just been tipped over the edge and ordered remaining packs, all im lacking is alot of lts..

but just had a 3 game solo session with some close games. love it

Excellent, that sounds like the one I should get. My daughter and I are playing this together (strictly with the RTL app) and she is looking for more variety of female characters to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stewards has 2 females and a male conan look alike.. not sure if the 4th model is a male or female halfling but it rides a wolf!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I finally played RTL at the FFG Event Center and had a blast. He wanted to buy something for it, so we decided on Stewards of the Secret Hero and Monster Collection, since it was an easy decision then trying to pick out an expansion that day without research. I like the idea of those packs, but I feel you need a decent selection of class cards to further define the hero. I've watched most of the videos for the small and big box expansions, but I'm having a hard time trying to decide which on to get next. One thing I'd like out of an expansion is a good selection of class cards and item cards. So my question is, which expansion (big or small box) has the best class cards, and some good item cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.