Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/sep/25/blitzed-norman...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an interesting documentary (can't recall title) on British TV 5 or so years ago, mainly about Hitler's doctor.

I think that most other nations' forces also routinely used speed-type stimulants (many of which were then legal and available to the public) to avoid chronic fatigue. I expect that most people at the time didn't regard it as an issue, even for some routine duties, never mind duties where lives might be at stake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've read that many politicians and military leaders in WW2 were addicted to alcohol and/or caffeine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rose
United Kingdom
New Malden
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly, this contradicts what was written in "Alamein, War without Hate", here the author(s) clearly state that use of drugs by the Germans was largely an allied propaganda myth, and it was actually the British who as a matter of routine, issued Benzedrine to troops on the eve of the battle. Many units however refused to take the drug, as experience had shown it caused troops to hallucinate, resulting in several "blue on blue" incidents detailed in the book.

Regards
Keith
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JFK was a walking pharmacy. It didn't exactly end in 1945.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
+++++[>+++++++++++++.>++++++++++[>++++++++++++++++++.--------.---.+++++++++++++++++.---.-.
mb
I wonder if that explains the "halt order" that enabled the Miracle of Dunkirk. Maybe the Germans ran out of drugs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Rinella wrote:

Why stop there? <Politician I don't like> is obviously on <drug of choice> because he supports <policy I don't like.> <General insult>.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Chrysm wrote:

Indeed.

Thanks for pointing this out !

Now wargame designers have another type of supply to worry about.

It will surely find it's way at least into this game.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Rinella wrote:

I remember reading a long time ago that JFK's drug use was the result the chronic pain from injuries [back], sustained from the destruction of PT 109 and pulling the wounded shipmate through the water to safety. I can't say with 100% certainty the accuracy of what the author wrote and it was too long ago to remember the book this information came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
Michael Rinella wrote:

Why stop there? <Politician I don't like> is obviously on <drug of choice> because he supports <policy I don't like.> <General insult>.

He was a naturally shy man who would have rather been left in peace to bonk everything that moved. He made enough bad decisions in office that his untimely execution saved him from a different rep.

His youngest brother was much closer to the underprivileged people he championed throughout a long & successful political career, albeit sometimes without his trousers on.

RFK meanwhile was too clever, too motivated, too certain of himself and all round a man who would have exploited the presidency to the maximum degree....

Had Churchill died of smoking & alcoholism during the war, would we have remembered him any differently? That FDR was such a good politician is perhaps the reason we don't criticise a dying man for retaining ultimate power in wartime to the very end. Would we elect a person in that state of health today?

Meanwhile, since 1940 Hitler knew he was dying from steadily worsening coronary artery disease, with no predictable prognosis, so his heart drugs were necessary, and in comparison the rest hardly matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:

"hitherto largely untold" means it and the other staggering new revelations about the nazis first came to popular attention about 40 years ago, and since then all have been been stunningly revealed 20 or 30 times. Actually amazing new Nazi photos reaches a wider audience because some of them aren't that happy reading this amount of guff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Nunuyerbiznez
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
He [Kennedy] was a naturally shy man who would have rather been left in peace to bonk everything that moved. He made enough bad decisions in office that his untimely execution saved him from a different rep.

So, an average, typical President as far as you are concerned.

While death brings out the whitewash and brush, Kennedy was hardly bad. Hell, the current batch of Republicans is rehabilitating him for their own uses these days!

</soapbox>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm quite sure I was high a few times whilst playing Third Reich.

Oh, THE Third Reich. Carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
designer
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually reading "Der totale Rausch: Drogen im Dritten Reich," by Ohler at the moment after one of my fellow teachers loaned me his copy.
Interesting book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
I've read that many politicians and military leaders in WW2 were addicted to alcohol and/or caffeine.

Not to mention tobacco.

(And cigarette companies "generously" gave free cigarettes to troops, thus ensuring many life-long addicted customers...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Shooting Up: A Short History of War and Drugs" by Lukasz Kamienski discusses the use of drugs in the military throughout history. Both sides used drugs in WWII, German use peaked in the 1940 French campaign then was cut back due to side effects, although it never stopped entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools

In Oklahoma there are more Opioid prescriptions than residents. Governments have mishandled drugs for thousands of years and will continue to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuckster williams
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
The most potent drug used by the Nazis, was political indoctrination. Remember, in American at least, the cable channel that claimed the German war machine was fueled by meth, also claimed the pyramids were built by guys from the planet Zontar. I am Vietnam veteran and, unfortunately, many people believe that all we did was smoke dope and shoot civilians. Drugs and criminal behavior occur in every war. But remember, the guys behind most stories want to sell books or hype ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Neuschwabenland

The first game to include official chrome rules for the use of Pervitin: Neuschwabenland by Christian Sperling, an agreeably off-the-wall folio game wherein Nazi mountain troopers, supported by flying saucers, face off in Antarctica against acid-spitting alien worms. The crystal meth is the least of the chrome!

Brian Train
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JFK's drug use is widely known and documented, that was the only point. And it wasn't because the guy was shy. It was because of his back and other issues and a belief that he was not destined to live long.

The point is the banality of discussing every last detail of the Third Reich like it's some great topic. As I recall the History Channel did a bit on dogs of the Third Reich at one point. Just because you can doesn't mean it's worth doing . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this actually belong in the wargame forum? I'm not really seeing the connection with wargames. Is there some wargame that gives the player a bonus if "amphetamine chits" are consumed? I'm confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has the History Channel done a show on the role of rugs in the Third Reich?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:
Does this actually belong in the wargame forum? I'm not really seeing the connection with wargames. Is there some wargame that gives the player a bonus if "amphetamine chits" are consumed? I'm confused.

Yes, there is. See the post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Rinella wrote:
I recall the History Channel did a bit on dogs of the Third Reich at one point...

There's a reason a lot of people derisively called it "The Hitler Channel," although it seems they've moved on from that obsession. Now it's sort of a combination "Whacko Conspiracy Theorist Channel" and "Low-budget Reality TV Channel."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jumbit wrote:

Probably the Historical Context subforum makes more sense.
https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1177685/wargames/historical-...

But then that's true of a lot of threads in the main Wargame forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.