mbmbmbmbmb
Using
David J
United States
Waterville
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
's choose your own haunt variant, I would like to pick one that will work for my group: two non-games, one person moving from casual to more involved games, a very bright 10 year old who plays games like Above and Below, and me.

I have heard that some haunts can be glitchy, and I want everyone to have a good time, especially the non-gamers. I plan to use
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
's house rule and switch characters with whoever get the haunt, so the role for the haunted character can be complex, but it should be simple and compelling for the players.

Also, I can look at the haunt ahead of time to make sure I groc it and everything is ready. Basically, I am trying to avoid the awkward transition that can sometimes happen.

Without spoilers (I will look up the haunt I decide to use), can you please suggest a good haunt for a group that includes casual gamers and a 10 year old?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just play the game as it was ment to be played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
Why not just play the game as it was ment to be played?

I guess I'm spooked (no pun intended) by everything I've heard about how certain haunts are unbalanced, uninspired, and sometimes overly complex and fiddly. I've never run into these, and I know it's probably not common. However, I don't want to risk hitting a dud haunt with this group, since, for some of them, it will be their first experi nice with modern board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hench critter
Belgium
flag msg tools
Mark B wrote:
I guess I'm spooked (no pun intended) by everything I've heard about how certain haunts are unbalanced, uninspired, and sometimes overly complex and fiddly. I've never run into these, and I know it's probably not common. However, I don't want to risk hitting a dud haunt with this group, since, for some of them, it will be their first experi nice with modern board games.
But that is the whole fun of the game. I have just bought it. This is the first time a have a game where I have 2 rulebooks I won't touch. Just like a good horrormovie. You know something is going to happen but you won't know what. Same here: the charm is you don't know know that the game has in store for you.

Yes, some horror movies are corny, the monster is omnipotent and then suddenly easily beaten. Horror movies are not balanced. What good horror movies do, is keep the danger veiled. Never show the monster from the start but slowly unveil it. Same with this game.

The fact is that your players can explore a house and they will notice that every discovered room is a surprise. Then the omens pop up: haunt rolls build up the tension. This until the haunt. The group gets ripped apart and one becomes that special player. The secret rules, the once you even don't know, come into play. But even then: they only know half the rules.

Even if the haunt is a dud. Unless your players are blasé, even the build-up to the haunt should make an exiting impact. Let the game happen to them and you.

Still, I'm toying with the idea to write a simple haunt. Just so people can learn combat and how the traitor system works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok! I'm convinced. I still think it will be important for me to switch places with the traitor because most of the other players are new to modern games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hench critter
Belgium
flag msg tools
My advice: don't decide on it yet. Before the haunt: the game is cooperative. That gives you a chance to field test your players.

One of them might be a natural. This guys notices how the game is played and absorbs it like a sponge. The right smart questions are asked, often before the issue comes up. He seems in instinctively grasp the game. He starts to answer other players questions and is often correct.

Every drawer also has one knife that is the dullest. The player that asks the same questions and keeps making the same mistakes. As long as other players take this player under their wings, things go well.

Once the haunt begins and the traitor is appointed, you probably can make an educated guess whether what happens if you send the appointed player away with the traitor's tome. If the players comes back with an understanding of the haunt and will make an excellent dastardly traitor or will look like a lamb going to the slaughter. In the last case: switch characters and roles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.