Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Scythe playlist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe G
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've basically been making playlists for every board game that I own and Scythe has been no exception.

The Scythe theme is so incredibly rich that I decided that I would invest a "few" hours making it. I've also been inspired by some of the songs from the following playlist thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1454247/scythe-themed-playl...

Below is an spreadsheet list of all the songs in the playlist, currently containing 338 songs and over 22 hrs of music:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Pz9zlN9FYrqBEUW5VM4S...

I normally use Spotify for playing music but it's possible to copy the spreadsheet list to convert it using a converter tool/app.

The songs are categorized based on the 5 different factions starting with the Nordics and going clockwise and ending with Polania followed by over 100 songs of songs that fit the theme.

The faction based songs are songs that were created max 80yrs before the 1920s, during the 1920s or by composers who lived during the period. I've also included folk music from the various factions that would have been played during the period.

The songs fitting the theme are categorized as follows:

Themes
1920s - Music created during the 1920s but that don't necessarily have a facional connection

WW1 - Music created during WW1 or for games/movies with a WW1 theme.

War - Music created for games/movies with a war theme but with themes that aren't older than WW2.

Steampunk/revolution/faction- Music with a Steampunk/revolution/faction theme respectively

And here is the playlist:
https://open.spotify.com/user/11125640304/playlist/11pjmmP3L...

I have to admit that it was really difficult finding music that would fit the Crimean faction so if you guys have an recommendations of music available on Spotify then please comment below.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quickly looking at the spreadsheet, I'm noting the lack of Ignacy Paderewski on it, who was the first Prime Minister of Poland, serving office for ten months in 1919, as well as being a composer and pianist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignacy_Jan_Paderewski

Now, that's not necessarily an oversight, you may have decided that his music didn't fit the tone of the playlist you were going for, but if you're unaware of him I think he's worth considering seeing as he was serving in office in Poland so close to the time period of the game's world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Stephen, thanks for you recommendation!
I actually had considered his music but as you've correctly assumed I didn't think it fit the theme as much.
His political career I had however missed which I think definitely qualifies him for being part of the playlist. He's in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Van Loo
Belgium
Temse
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the really nice work, do you have a geeklist with more soundtracks to other games ?

Highly interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love thematic music during gaming. Lately, I've been utilizing http://melodice.org/playlist/scythe-2016/ for Scythe.

The site seems somewhat collaborative, so one could put playlists on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Awesome, thanks for the tip! Have seen similar sites but I've not liked the fact that I have to have the screen on on my device to play them. Haven't tried melodice yet but perhaps this isn't the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't made more forum posts for other games yet but I sure will if people are interested.

The games I've made playlists for are the following:
Twilight Struggle - one playlist for every war era
Battlestar Galactica - or other space themed games
A Few Acres of Snow - or other late 1700s themed games
Dead of Winter - or other zombie/horror themed games
Memoir 44 - or other WW2 themed games
Robinson Crusoe - or other Caribbean/pirate themed games
Champions of Midgard - or other viking themed games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Klure
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Just turned on my Classical Pandora Channel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion A
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty awesome! We always have some music playing during our game nights and finding thematic music can be difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
joakgust wrote:
I haven't made more forum posts for other games yet but I sure will if people are interested.

The games I've made playlists for are the following:
Twilight Struggle - one playlist for every war era
Battlestar Galactica - or other space themed games
A Few Acres of Snow - or other late 1700s themed games
Dead of Winter - or other zombie/horror themed games
Memoir 44 - or other WW2 themed games
Robinson Crusoe - or other Caribbean/pirate themed games
Champions of Midgard - or other viking themed games.

I'm very interested in all the ones you've listed! How about fantasy themed games such as Terra Mystica or Hyperborea. Then of course there's all the rail themed games and 4X games like Clash of Cultures, Sid Meier's Civ, etc. Are they all on (or to be on) Spotify?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bossy
France
flag msg tools
During a game I veto anything that is not classical. For Scythe I'd select a few composers from Germany, Scandidavia, Finland, Poland, Hungary, Balkans, Russia, Caucasian, plus the odd Saint-Saens that fits the mood.

Minute Waltz - Frederic Chopin
Funeral March - Frederic Chopin
Violin Concerto - Joan Sibelius
Finlandia - Jean Sibelius
Night On Bald Mountain - Modest Mussorgsky
The Hut on Hen's Legs (Baba Yaga) - Modest Mussorgsky
Marche Slave - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Violin Concerto - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
The Story of the Kalendar Prince - Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov
Waltz No. 2 - Dmitri Shostakovich
Masquerade - Aram Khachaturian
In the Steppes of Central Asia - Alexander Borodin
Danse Macrabe - Camille Saint-Saëns
Ride of the Valkyries - Richard Wagner
7th Symphony (2nd Movment) - Ludwig van Beethoven
5th Symphony (1st Movment) - Ludwig van Beethoven
Symphony of Sorrowful Songs (2nd Movement) - Henryk Gorecki
New World Symphony (4th Movment) - Anton Dvorak
In the Mists - Leos Janacek
Moldau - Bedrik Smetana
Carol of the bells - Mikola Leontovytch
Ode to Death - Gustav Holst

Interestingly enough distinctively WWI composers do not fit the mood at all, imo (Ravel, Schoenberg, Holst).

I guess I could go for 20's jazz, klezmer, and Red Army choir too, but that's for another post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Besides Beethoven all of the songs mentioned are in the playlist already, however I did add the following from your list that were missing:

Violin Concerto - Joan Sibelius
The Hut on Hen's Legs (Baba Yaga) - Modest Mussorgsky
Violin Concerto - Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Danse Macrabe - Camille Saint-Saëns
Symphony of Sorrowful Songs (2nd Movement) - Henryk Gorecki
In the Mists - Leos Janacek
Ode to Death - Gustav Holst

The main reason why I don't have Beethoven is that his work is too early to fit the criteria that I specified to fit the theme even though I love his music. I do however have another playlist for board games that take place in the late 1700s to early 1800s were his music is added.

I have a few Jazz or Jazz inspired songs included as well, but I'm really quite novice to Klesmer so if you have any good recommendations then please suggest a few songs!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Norton
msg tools
Great suggestions!

I have basically experienced a crash course in turn-of-the-century classical music while waiting excitedly for my copy to arrive. Rimsky-Korsakov has seemed especially thematic.

I have also enjoyed listening to the soundtrack for Hunt for Red October and, especially, Black Swan: I absolutely suggest you check that one out, I think it has a perfect amount of tension, beauty, and Eastern European influences (and they integrate whole parts from ballets like Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake).

If any Scythe fan out there is a composer... What if music had taken a different direction after the Great War? What if you composed a 1920+ suite? How would the looming mechs affect composers and their music? I see a perfect opportunity to complement Rozalski's alternative history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.