Subject: What's your favourite take-that game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Spencer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I like take-that games, I think it's funny to pick on another player and then have someone scupper your own plans.

I know a lot of people don't enjoy the Munchkin end game, but I think the actual gameplay is pretty solid. I should say I don't actually own Munchkin because I dislike the art and graphic design. I do however own Adventure Time Munchkin which solves both of those issues.

Does anyone have any recommendations for take-that really great take-that games? What's your favourite take-that game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite quick take-that game is Love Letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dionne
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the chance to play a prototype version of Unfair and loved it! The theme and artwork is fantastic and it's great to go shut down rides in your opponents' theme parks or hire away their staff members devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mb
Munchkin is my favourite, but i have fond memories of Family Business. Also Frag is fun, interfering with kills by cardplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash up

Close contenders are:

Zombies!!!

Pirate Fluxx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonzalo GIlabert
Spain
madrid
madrid
flag msg tools
mbmb
beasty bar is a great game, full of take that and backstabbing, that can be played in 20 min, unlie munchkin tat eill take 20 hours...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charleaux wrote:
I had the chance to play a prototype version of Unfair and loved it! The theme and artwork is fantastic and it's great to go shut down rides in your opponents' theme parks or hire away their staff members devil
I printed out the PnP version and really love it. Can't wait for December when it's supposed to ship. And despite the general hatred on BG, I enjoy Munchkin and Fluxx, although in both cases I play with family who aren't trying to Min-Max and do anything possible to win. Munchkin is meant to be played for fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably SmileyFace or Beasty Bar.

There are games that have parts that are take-that-ish that I like a lot better (like BANG! The Dice Game, Babel, Cutthroat Caverns -- and even Mission: Red Planet has 'take that' elements), but I don't really count them as 'take that' games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica and Dead Man's Draw are my two favorite take that games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call these games "take that" but here are a few in your face, brutal, conflict-ridden games:

Neuroshima Hex!
Babel
Roma
Blue Moon Legends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.Daddy.Slim
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Saboteur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarFluxx and Bang! are the favorites of mine that come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
For a simple, brutal slaughter I really love Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. There's nothing better than rolling exactly what you need on the monster die and sending a creature to devour three of your opponents when they are almost to shore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Babel. But I recently bought Council of Blackthorn and I think it might overtake Babel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Excape is hands-down the best take-that game ever made ... good luck finding a copy, though.

Also, Dead Man's Draw, Age of War, Walk the Plank! and High Noon Saloon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Take That The Game. I always play as Jason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Aggravation - the way my family plays has to top my list...

We also like Munchkin, Smash Up!

X-Wing is also one of our faves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite games that might be considered as having Take-That elements are as follows:

Cosmic Encounter - This is much more than just a Take-That game, although it certainly has those elements. If you like Munchkin and want a game that shares some of its dynamics but incorporates them into an overall much better game design, you really should check out Cosmic. Best played with 4-6 players.

Cutthroat Caverns - If you want something to replace Munchkin but want to stick with the fantasy/dungeon-crawling theme, I think this would be a good game to go to. It has a very (and I mean very) similar premise but has some interesting twists to the game play.

Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game - I'll probably get shouted down by somebody for saying this but I think Team Manager is a similar-yet-superior game to Smash Up. They feel very close in terms of core game play but Team Manager adds a bit of deck-building/upgrading as the game goes on and, IMO, this lends itself to a much more interesting experience in every way.

Just a few suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Paintball
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Horror for me. I love that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Breese
msg tools
Survive!

Oh, you have three meeples on the beach waiting to load? Well, now they're in the water. Oh, and I just rolled shark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's an icon
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre It what i feel Munchkin should of been. +the art is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
I turned Old & Chaotic Evil Bob to Lawful Good (for a day...)
mb
"Favorite"+"take that game"= insurmountable oxymoron (for myself)

If you twisted my arm, I'd say Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre, because it doesn't force me to pick a friend to screw over. "The player to your left" or "the player with the highest score" or "a random player- roll a die" etc. make it less personal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pullen

Amarillo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Cutthroat Caverns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Williams
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Let us go out this evening for pleasure; the night is still young."
badge
STOP! WHOSE TURN IS IT NEXT?
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of "take that" in Magical Athlete.
Especially when you steal someone's points in the second race, prepare to be taking a step back every turn in the third. Great "roll and move" with cosmic encounter powers and an opening auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.