Hide
4 Posts

Hit Z Road» Forums » General

Subject: Is there a thematic reason for the auction ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gozilla Gozilla
msg tools
Disclaimer #1: I do not own the game and I did not play it yet, so my actual opinion is only based on what I could read (rulebook, videos and posts on forum).

Disclaimer #2: I am positively impressed by this game and therefore the purpose of this post is mainly to know more about it, not to criticize it or whatever.

We know that, story-wise, this is a game made by a kid and based on his recent trip through a zombie infested USA.
So asking why this kid chose to use a specific auction mechanic in his game, may be gratuitous...but nevertheless...

The resource management fits perfectly into the zombie survivors' storyline and theme: you do some planning and take risks to get what you need while using what you already have in the best possible way, according to situation and timing, with the goal of surviving long enough to reach your destination.

I understand that the auction is a smart mechanism that forces the players to decide between spending resources to choose a desiderable path against conserving them for a different use.

But is there any "official" thematic reason behind the auction that happens at the beginning of each round?

Some of the path cards already have events that, in a way, represent the price/consequence that the survivors have to pay when they take them.

So what could the resource auction represent ?
How does it contribute to the theme ?

It could represent a trade between groups of survivors if the resources auctioned went to one of the bidders...like "If you let me take the easy path I will supply you with some extra resources to help you cope with the harder path".

This topic surfaced also on another forum thread that discussed the auction mechanism itself.

Here I do not question "how" the auction works (even if I think it does have a thematic effect) but rather if there is a story-driven reason behind it and the way it is organized.

I am interested into players' experiences and opinions also because, as I said at the beginning of the post, I never played this game and so I am curious to learn how the auction phase is perceived: does it contribute to the theme as it does to the gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Espada
Spain
flag msg tools
I think it is an abstraction of the first steps done in order to get the better paths prizes before competing survivor groups. The group can spend fuel, ammo or adrenalin because there are so many forms of lining with the desired path, but they must outperform other groups anyway.

You must run for your life, more than others... but then you can discover that the energy lost is needed for fighting your destiny.

I think it is very thematic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gozilla Gozilla
msg tools
I see. Thanks for sharing your thoughts !!!
This game looks quite interesting and the art is gorgeous.
I was a bit worried 'cause one reviewer mentioned that "this game failed big time in creating an atmosphere. It failed telling a story."
Judging from what I could see, the story and the theme are there but ultimately I'll need to play it to feel them, of course.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that spending resources represents how reckless you're willing to be to travel faster than everyone else. The 4 paths are like the cargo planets in Galaxy Trucker. Whoever wakes up earliest and runs all the stop signs will get to lay claim to the abandoned gas station, or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.