Subject: 2016 Wargames Secret Santa rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You better not shout, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm tellin' you why...

Santa Grogs is coming to town!

Announcing the 9th annual BGG Wargamer Secret Santa!

Join Now!

What is Secret Santa?

For those who don't know, for the past eight years the wargamers have run their own Secret Santa exchange in parallel with the BGG site wide one. Ours usually attracts on the order of 100-200 people, which is a nice manageable size.

All you need to do is click the link at the top of this post and then click Join. Replying to this thread does not sign you up for Secret Santa. You must join through the link provided above.

By joining the exchange, you are agreeing to buy a gift for another user and have it shipped in time for Christmas. Your total cost for the game(s) and shipping should be a minimum of $50 USD. Note that the wargamer exchange allows for used games provided said games are complete and in good condition, and the target has it on their wish list.

After Registration closes (November 6th) we secretly assign everyone a gift-giving target. This means that you will be the Secret Santa for another BGG user, and you will also get a gift from a mystery Santa yourself!

Check out all the fun that was had last year
2015 WARGAMERS Look What Santa Grogs Sent Me!

Official BGG 2016 Wargame Secret Santa Rules:

To participate in the Secret Santa you must agree to the following rules:

1. First and foremost, Secret Santa is all about the giving. Getting is fun too, but be prepared for the possibility that the person who is sending you a gift may disappoint you. Most people do a good job, but there are always going to be a handful of unfortunate situations that come up.

If you sign up for Secret Santa treat it as a responsibility and make it a priority. Those who sign-up but don't send gifts will face the possibility of account privileges being suspended as a result.

2. You have until Midnight (GMT+5:30), Tuesday November 9th to sign up. If you have second thoughts after signing up, you also have until that deadline to delete your registration.

3. Keep your wishlist (NOT want list) of games updated. The expectation is that your Santa will send a new game from your wishlist. Please have at least twenty currently available games on your list, and try to have most of them fall within a reasonable price range. If you have a small, expensive, or difficult-to-fulfill wishlist then don't be surprised if you get something that isn't on your list. The more you have on your list the easier it is for your Secret Santa to find something for you.

4. When it comes to sending, the expectation is that you will buy a new game from your target's wishlist. The total cost of the games you send (including shipping) should be at least $50 USD.

There is no problem, of course, with going above and beyond - sending two, three, or even more games. The generous Santas are the best remembered! And you will make it truly special if you personalize the gift somehow.

ALL participants must provide proof of purchase and/or shipment. A special email address will be provided when targets are assigned. This should only add a minute or two to what you need to do, but will help speed up the process of resolving complaints considerably.

5. This is an international Secret Santa. Anyone from any country is welcome to join. As such, recognize that you very well may be given a target from a foreign country, so be prepared to factor international shipping into your gift. We will provide a list of online stores from around the world to help people who get international targets.

Alternatively, you have the option to pick which countries you are willing to ship to. However I strongly encourage you not to limit yourself as shipping a gift to someone in another country can be a very rewarding experience. While it may add extra costs, the other person will greatly appreciate it - particularly if you can send something that is hard to get where they are from!

Also, if you are from a country that has only a few participants then I also strongly suggest you not limit your country options or you very well may end up with the only other person who entered from your country. The distinctly international flavour of the BGG Secret Santa is one of the best aspects of it, in my opinion.

6. This is supposed to be an enriching experience - not a stressful one. So the most important rules is HAVE FUN AND MAKE IT FUN FOR OTHERS!

7. *NEW*EXPERIMENTAL* Mention the word "TALKATIVE" in your description and you will be paired with another active talkative santa, please be active yourself too

Click the link below and join ONLY if you agree with the above rules:.

When signing up, please note that the Give Only box should ONLY be checked if you DO NOT WANT to receive a gift. People who click the Give Only box are extremely generous members of the site who fill in to save the day when something goes wrong for other participants.

And if you choose to sign up as a Give Only participant this year, A MILLION THANK YOUS to you too! If you would like to BOTH sign up for Secret Santa normally AND also fill in as a replacement Santa, sign up normally and I will put out a call for additional replacement Santas when they are needed.

Finally, we want this event to focus on the fun so please refrain from bringing up any complaints in this thread. Geekmail me with any such issues instead. I'm happy to address each and every concern you have.

This year's official participation microbadge will be awarded to all participants manually. Once available... Please put the microbadge on display to help get the word out that Secret Santa time is here!

Here is to closing out the BGG year with three months of holiday cheer!

Important links:
Target: https://boardgamegeek.com/geekexchange/target/291
Super secret login:
>username: santa grogs
>password: in your GM
Send confirmation mails to: santagrog@gmail.com (Mention your and target's ID in subject/mail)
Online store list: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Secret_Santa_Stores
Tips for international shipping: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/73279/secret-santa-sh...
GL once you receive your gift: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/216859/2016-wargamers-loo...

• [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Done !

I look forward again to the experience !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhhh!!!!!!

Yay!!!

Um, am I missing where we pick which countries we can ship to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Ahhhhh!!!!!!

Yay!!!

Um, am I missing where we pick which countries we can ship to?
When you register in the gx, it should give a list of shipping countried

Point 7 is new in the rules for those who want a more involved experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
I didn't see any list of countries either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, updated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Leguern
France
Saint-Martin-d'Hères
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There, registred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm in.
Thanks for organizing this again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done,

I'm in ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Registered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Medlin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very excited to participate again this year and am so pleased someone was able to pick the duties. It seems like a monstrous task.

THANK YOU!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
gmt's fall sale being pushed back should make this exciting too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Every year I thought this was going to be awesome because of the GMT sale!

And then every year, I get a target that doesn't want any GMT games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
coal
Father GROGmas shall perform his 'comic routine' in LIEU of 'participation', to wit;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Lutterworth
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Ne Oublie
badge
You're feeling dizzy... Now all your boardgames belong to me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it this time of year already? cool
Signed up! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
leroy43 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Sorry about that.

laugh

It's all good, I've treated my targets well over the years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden Wurtemburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In again this year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
nukeu666 wrote:
After Registration closes (November 6th) we secretly assign everyone a gift-giving target.

nukeu666 wrote:
2. You have until Midnight (GMT+5:30), Tuesday November 9th to sign up.

So is it the 6th or the 9th?

nukeu666 wrote:
7. *NEW*EXPERIMENTAL* Mention the word "TALKATIVE" in your description and you will be paired with another active talkative santa, please be active yourself too
I went back through the previous threads, and I noted that interpretations of a "talkative" Santa could range anywhere from those who sent just a single note of confirmation, all the way up to those who sent numerous messages to their targets. Should we specify where we sit on that spectrum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
leroy43 wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Sorry about that.

laugh

It's all good, I've treated my targets well over the years.

Oh. Then it wasn't me. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
junkers wrote:
nukeu666 wrote:
I went back through the previous threads, and I noted that interpretations of a "talkative" Santa could range anywhere from those who sent just a single note of confirmation, all the way up to those who sent numerous messages to their targets. Should we specify where we sit on that spectrum?

I'd be happy with simply communicative. Acknowledge I've been assigned to the sender and notify when parcel has been shipped. I would consider that the bare minimum, but everything else beyond that is just a bonus and should never be expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talkative is a subjective quality but definitely means more than the minimum of 'O Hai'+'gift sent'
Date is 6th Sunday

Ohayou from Kyoto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
nukeu666 wrote:
Talkative is a subjective quality but definitely means more than the minimum of 'O Hai'+'gift sent'
Date is 6th Sunday

Ohayou from Kyoto

I'm probably more talkative than average.

But not sure I want to deal with the pressure of it, so didn't flag myself as such.

Some antisocial person will get a talkative, bad joke making santa. Again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more.

Left Full Rudder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.