Subject: Map Tiles: The Next Great Struggle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
So with all my small cards safely sleeved, organized, and stored; and the larger cards and rule books bindered, I move on to my next task/OCD pattern.

How do you store and sort the map tiles for easy retrieval? I'm currently using the time-honored 'all jumbled up in a box lid' for the time. With 18ish tiles it's barely tolerable. With 4+ sets, I see the as a path that would only lead to madness.

What method/device to folks use to store these? How do you organize them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have 4 plastic boxes roughly the size of an A4 sheet of paper. Each box contains an overworld tile set (Targa, Jargono, Cynder, Trederra).

A fifth smaller box holds all the common tiles (passages and corridors).

Tomorrow (it's 1:00am now here) I will upload a picture for you!

(They cost about 1$ each)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Cool, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use accordion file boxes, colour coded and numbered, with the same on the mine cards and other world cards that correspond. That way you know where each map tile is at a given time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
I use a method similar to Andrea. I have all the small corridors, portals, and door caps in a craft organizer. Then each Otherworld is in a gallon plastic bag with the name of the Otherworld written on the front in a corresponding color. I've also marked all of my Map cards by coloring in the minecart on the upper left in the same color to make the tiles quicker to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Dverning wrote:
I use a method similar to Andrea. I have all the small corridors, portals, and door caps in a craft organizer. Then each Otherworld is in a gallon plastic bag with the name of the Otherworld written on the front in a corresponding color. I've also marked all of my Map cards by coloring in the minecart on the upper left in the same color to make the tiles quicker to find.

The notion that you intentionally deface your cards gave me a sickly chill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also store them in a binder, with the "clear binder pockets" or "vinyl pockets". I've also stored small 2D tiles in 9-pocket trading card binder pages in a box (not in the binder because I'm sure they'd fall out). The binder is also useful for storing the reference sheets, character cards with starting cards, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ad promised!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the picture. Can you enlighten us as to the dimensions of the container? It seems unlikely that I will be able to find the exact product you have, but maybe there's something similar here in the states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
They are pretty darn nifty.

If you put the pic on Original Size, you can read the dimensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really tough problem. With Mercs Recon, all the tiles are uniform shapes which is easier to store. These are all over the place. For now I'm keeping the tiles and the stuff that goes with them in the boxes they came in and the minis from the original game and expansions in a huge plano box.

It's a mess and I'm not sure what the solution is. Do I bring ALL the worlds with me to play so that any mine tile is there, or do I segregate the mine tiles and shuffle in the ones I bring with me?

Much as I love the different shapes of the tiles, I almost would rather have uniform shapes and smaller tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Embree
msg tools
mbmbmb
As I mentioned in another thread, I ordered three of these.

bitboxgamestorage.com

The board sleeves should do the trick keeping the other worlds separate with all the other components fitting on one of the various sized boxes. They wont arrive until early December, though, so whether this is a good solution remains to be seen. A nice feature though is the bitbox mobile that allows you to pop the drawers into a portable box to take with you for a game night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andvice wrote:
Ad promised!

Anyone know where I could get some of these in the UK - these are just what I'm looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.