Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: 2-p feel? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm pondering on buying this one but I was wondering on how good a fit it is for playing with the wife. How is the feel for 2 players aiming at one 2-4 hour session? Too much on the heavy side perhaps? We are very much into resource management a-la Agricola or Puerto Rico and I wouldn't mind diving into something more complex... but again, I'm trying to keep my beloved hooked and I need something dynamic and fun. Any thoughts will be welcome. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I have recently started playing this game, 2 player, three plays so far. Plus I've played 2 player with another friend.

It's a very interesting civ building game. My girlfriend prefers less aggressive play, so we play the variant that excludes wars and such.

The only downside is that playing all 3 ages can take a LONG time. We have played mostly just 2 ages (as the first game tutorial suggests) and even that can take us 3 hours. I imagine it'll speed up with experience.

She really enjoys it, but then she likes civilization building games. I find I wish there was more interaction, but she likes to puzzle through her own choices to build her own board without worrying too much about other players.

And last night she won too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Palinkas
Hungary
flag msg tools
mb
You can easily put it away and continue on the next day (with 2 players) if you find it too long. We did it several times with my girlfriend. If both of you know the rules and the cards you can finish it pretty fast in one session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Rymanowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
I mostly playing with my friend, it takes under 2h for 2p game. But you can aim for 3h for first few games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pepe lepew
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you all guys, pretty informative!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it around 15 times now, primarily as a 2 player game. Although there are no treaties in the 2 player version, I would take the two player experience over 3 players any day. Both for the noticeable reduced game length and for the balance. A third player lacking behind risks being targeted multiple times.

It is definitely a step up from Puerto Rico (hardly comparable). Rules explanation will last you between 30-60 minutes, but once you get going it is all very intuitive. Personally I wouldn't play the short version (skipping the 3rd age) - once you've played it a few times a two player game will only last you 2 hours (without AP players).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having played ~30 2-p games (half of them online) I still remember the game being very mean to me in the first games. I had to play some 5-10 games to learn about mistakes never to make again and not to perish in a dead end.

I think TTA is more complex than Puerto Rico and also than Agricola. Especially you have to know a lot of cards and when they will enter the game to play well, which means you have to play quite a few times to find working combos and mechanisms.

Conc. playing time I guess 2-4 hours is a sufficient time frame for getting this to the table. Although we're AP prone we started with 3,5 h per game and our last games at least got down to 2,5 h (while we used a timer with 1,5 h per person per game to limit ourselves).

This thread might be interesting for you as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good feedbacks.
The 2p game is not too "solo"? I mean I fear that most of the time players will be dealing with their own board without too much interaction. Ok some aggressions can happen here and here, but it is only a small part isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kakawette wrote:
Good feedbacks.
The 2p game is not too "solo"? I mean I fear that most of the time players will be dealing with their own board without too much interaction. Ok some aggressions can happen here and here, but it is only a small part isn't it?

There won't be too much aggression as long as you're staying close to each other military wise. The events will however keep you on your toes and be the primary interaction between you to. It can make for some very interesting, tense and funny moments!
I never felt playing a solo game.

Just add to seqcon's argument about familiarizing with the cards. Sure you'll need to play it a few times to know how to make great combos - but it is a lot of fun experimenting and trying things out (without knowing what exact cards might match up)! So don't be intimidated by the wealth of cards. (Not that I feel like seqcon was trying to imply that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The card row is also a huge part forcing interaction since you need to anticipate what your opponents need and maybe prevent that they get certain cards.

@RHelms: Actually I do think that some early games of TTA can be overwhelming since you cannot just play something and always have the feeling of doing it right (more or the opposite is the case I guess). I think you have to play at least 2-3 times to get the basic dos & donts and discover the fun of experimentation. And this is not all about the cards, a huge part is about managing your workers and resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seqcon wrote:
The card row is also a huge part forcing interaction since you need to anticipate what your opponents need and maybe prevent that they get certain cards.

@RHelms: Actually I do think that some early games of TTA can be overwhelming since you cannot just play something and always have the feeling of doing it right (more or the opposite is the case I guess). I think you have to play at least 2-3 times to get the basic dos & donts and discover the fun of experimentation. And this is not all about the cards, a huge part is about managing your workers and resources.

Most definitely. And you will make a lot of mistakes at first - but I fondly remember my first few plays trying stuff out, failing and then doing differently in the next game. After our first game we were asking ourselves how anyone would ever get more than 100, let alone 150 culture!
Overwhelmed - I'm not sure. I guess that might differ from person to person, but you won't do good in the first or the second game. But that is not to say it won't be a blast! The experience is of course very dependent on your opponent - it is most fun when you're at the same "level".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris De David
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
My girlfriend and I have recently started playing this game, 2 player, three plays so far. Plus I've played 2 player with another friend.

It's a very interesting civ building game. My girlfriend prefers less aggressive play, so we play the variant that excludes wars and such.

The only downside is that playing all 3 ages can take a LONG time. We have played mostly just 2 ages (as the first game tutorial suggests) and even that can take us 3 hours. I imagine it'll speed up with experience.

She really enjoys it, but then she likes civilization building games. I find I wish there was more interaction, but she likes to puzzle through her own choices to build her own board without worrying too much about other players.

I agree;
2 player is fun
2 player takes less time
Still a LONG game (lots of thinking to wait for, rushing people leads to regrettable mistakes, mistakes in long games are super frustrating, this game can really punish you for a single mistake)
I like Civ games, and this is just like managing a single city in a Civ PC game.
I too prefer less confrontation, would like to play variant, No Aggression, No Wars

Last game I played, other player focused entirely on Military, was like I was playing against a ruthless communist. The game does not allow you to win with weak military + aggression + wars. In AgeIII - Military cards are very powerful, rewarding to winner, weak player can be crushed in just a few rounds.

Playing with Aggression, one player can force you to play all military, even if you don't want to. i.e. the reason why No Aggression Variant is actually in the rule book.
Note: still need military, as other cards can reward stronger players, but at least you will not feel forced to always be the strongest player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Wesker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my missus love Agricola and we found this to be great. My personal favourite board game of all time

We only play 2 player against each other and it takes us 3-4 hours depending on how serious we are taking it. When taken more seriously analysis paralysis can kick in making the game a bit longer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.