Hide
17 Posts

Project: ELITE» Forums » General

Subject: Painted miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K Andersen
msg tools
Have anyone tried painting the player miniatures yet? Or are in the process of doing so? I can't really find anyone who have. I really want to paint mine but I am not the most experienced painter and some miniature specific hints / guides / pictures would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Have a look in the comments section on Kickstarter, there are already a couple of pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Andersen
msg tools
Only thing I could there were the alien soldiers. Not the player character miniatures. Like in the images here on bgg.

To clarify I'm only looking for the player character mini's. There seem to be plenty of soldier paints already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Francis
Australia
Maryborough
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted my soldiers up on KS, I'll have a go at painting the heroes next. It just means the game is out of commission for a couple of days

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
Australia
EAST BRISBANE
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have painted all the minis now, I did it pretty fast and used washes and dry brushing to accentuate the recesses. I'll post some pics up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
Australia
EAST BRISBANE
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll write some tips from having done these up. They're a bit different to other minis like games workshop, CMON or FFG in that they're fairly low on detail. They're more like the type of minis you might have in a board game that's not designed by a company that does minis (like asmodee with ghost stories or Eagle Griffon Games). Having said that I really do like the plastic they used its solid, hard bit not brittle.

Anyway onto tips:
- wash the minis in detergent with a tooth brush, rinse and dry them. (This gets rid of any mould release agent they might have used),
- do a thin spray base coat with a primer (I use white to get the most vibrant colours),
- for base coating (the colours) use Very thinned down paint as you don't want to clog up what little detail there is. I thinned my paint probably 2:1 water to paint. You may have to do several coats. Don't worry about waiting for it all to dry - I found with the aliens they looked better with the colours all blending a bit.
- once you've based it in the colours you want and it's thoroughly dry then do a wash. I use citadel washes as they're the best I've used. I also used some army painter inks. I went with nuln oil mostly but used some of the green wash and red wash to avoid making everything look "dirty". Red wash on the orange bits worked well.
- then do a dry brush. I used white mostly on the purple areas but yellow on the orange and greens. This will make the top layers pop.
- if you care you can then do some detail like teeth and eyes, TBH I didn't bother on most of these as I just wanted them done quick.
- get a Matt spray varnish as you want them to be hardy. I tried to do 2 coats. You could use a gloss varnish on some of them to make them shiny if you want. This could look great on eyes, teeth or oozy bits!

If you like the style of my minis (I went for something similar to the art in the game with vibrant oranges, greens, purples and a silvery feel) then here are some more tips:
- I blended in some Vallejo air silver metallic with my base coats of yellow, blue etc to give the paint a silvery sheen. This was on all the heroes and some of the bosses.
I also dry brushed with some of the silver.
Painting orange sucks! I had two methods:
1- I used some folk art paint instead of citadel or vallejo. I find their oranges to be too watery and need too many coats. The folk art is thick though so water it down a lot.
2 - I used red as a base coat and then heavy dry brushed with citadels 'ryza rust' - this worked pretty well, the a light dry brush of yellow. Id say this has the best results and is probably what I would recommend.

For the heroes I generally painted them all the base colour (sometimes straight silver or a tinted silver), then washed (to bring out the detail), then did highlights of flesh, guns, pouches etc, then did a light wash again.

Anyway I do think they look pretty good painted up. They're very much tabletop board game quality and not something I'd want to wargame with but they look great on the board. The paint really does help bring out the detail too - often during painting I'd discover parts like arms or mouths I wasn't aware existed!

Good luck I'll try post more pics but my internet is slow at the moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great write up!

Can anyone please post a link to an explanation of what a color wash is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
Australia
EAST BRISBANE
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
ThomasDN wrote:
Great write up!

Can anyone please post a link to an explanation of what a color wash is?

Basically a thin paint that goes into the recesses. Some people call them liquid talent as they turn a bad paint job to something that looks quite decent! Here's a link to a video: https://youtu.be/tUQsiv41Enw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret Weapon Miniatures makes a line of washes, and you can see how they're used to shade miniatures in this video.

To select a SWM wash, see: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1129305/how-select-wash-sec...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So it is another word for the quickshading thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite! (:

I'm assuming you're talking about the Quickshade in the tin can, which is a varnish, so here's more info.

https://www.reddit.com/r/minipainting/comments/3wzzdl/differ...
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/277734-army-painter...

I'm not sure how well the brown Quickshade in the tin can would work with Project: ELITE, so I'm just going to link a video fyi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41NrmDG2Rt8

Here's a review of the Quickshade Inks in the eye droppers, which are the washes I mentioned. The review shows the washes directly on white primed miniatures. http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2013/08/review-army-paint...

Feel free to PM me any questions, since we've strayed a bit from the original topic. (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles de Rais
Belgium
Brugge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To make matters more complicated, Citadel (GW) calls them 'Shade Paint'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas -
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm good, I'll go googling.

Thanks all for the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roden84 wrote:

nice painting! love the runners and shooters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work Jonathan! I've been planning to go even quicker and dirtier than this, I really would love to knock it out in a weekend day or something, too many more detailed models I'm working on. Was almost thinking of just using a colored spray paint and then dipping them with Army Painter Quickshade, brushing it off some, letting that dry and adding a dot for eyes and calling it a day... seeing some of the different colors though is kind of swaying me. Definitely would be nice to have more visual cues of what's what.

I'm curious what paint you used for that glowy green?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
Australia
EAST BRISBANE
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! If you do go the super quick method you could try doing zenithal priming but with colours instead of the usual gradient from white to black/gray. For example you could get an orange spray and do the runners and then from top down spray with a green fluoro to just hit the 'top' areas. Then I guess you could do a wash/shade and then eyes and mouth highlight...

I've never seen anyone do that technique with colours but it could foreseeably work.

I definitely can sympathise with wanting them done quick. I have a lot of great quality minis to paint so didn't want to take too long on these. I'm happy with the outcome though. I'd estimate it took ~2 hours for each of the soldier groups, which isn't too bad. It was quite boring though so I'd recommend getting an audio book or something to occupy your mind!

On the green - I think I used escorpina green from Vallejo (scorpion green). There's also necrotite green from P3 which is essentially the same or citadel has Moot Green. I like the dropper bottles best so generally get vallejo stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I hadn't heard of Zenithal priming before, it's a neat concept, though a bit better with an airbrush I'm sure.

I think, after seeing your models, I'm just going to get some colored primers for the base coat and take a bit of time to hit the big color changes, like the shells or armor in a basecoat paint. Then quickshade dip/brush, let that sit for a day and then maybe do a real quick highlights/dry brush hit... though if I do that I'll have to do another varnish.

We'll see how it goes, it's hard to force myself to do a half-assed job, but it will be training before doing a slightly better quick-job on Black Plague stuff so I can have those both knocked out before Conan and more Arcadia Quest stuff hits in a few months. Maybe I'll eventually get to Blood Rage and the Others, hah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.