$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 79.34

5,340 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
33.7% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially, I thought "crap, $30 is a lot for shipping", knowing full well that other areas pay far more... Then I thought "group buy for reduced rate?" - no, one copy per person doesn't work either. Local distributor? Nope, they're doing it themselves and/or partnering with another company...

Shipping directly from Amazon? Canadian distributor? Anything? I want the game, will pay the company for the game, but I don't want to pay shipping companies. While I value their services, I'm still against paying for it if I don't have to (and yes, I'm fully aware that I don't HAVE to have this, or any game).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It is a pretty heavy box, very large, and I would imagine they are shipping using a relatively fast method (less than a week)? with full tracking information so that would all add in to the cost.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreezenFire wrote:
Initially, I thought "crap, $30 is a lot for shipping", knowing full well that other areas pay far more... Then I thought "group buy for reduced rate?" - no, one copy per person doesn't work either. Local distributor? Nope, they're doing it themselves and/or partnering with another company...

Shipping directly from Amazon? Canadian distributor? Anything? I want the game, will pay the company for the game, but I don't want to pay shipping companies. While I value their services, I'm still against paying for it if I don't have to (and yes, I'm fully aware that I don't HAVE to have this, or any game).


Drive across the border and get a post office box? whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
It is a pretty heavy box, very large, and I would imagine they are shipping using a relatively fast method (less than a week)? with full tracking information so that would all add in to the cost.


You're right about that but to the OP's point shipping inside the US is going to be approximately $8.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about we stop calling you guys america jr and you just join the great USA? Then you can get cheaper shipping?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebaker1983 wrote:
FreezenFire wrote:
Initially, I thought "crap, $30 is a lot for shipping", knowing full well that other areas pay far more... Then I thought "group buy for reduced rate?" - no, one copy per person doesn't work either. Local distributor? Nope, they're doing it themselves and/or partnering with another company...

Shipping directly from Amazon? Canadian distributor? Anything? I want the game, will pay the company for the game, but I don't want to pay shipping companies. While I value their services, I'm still against paying for it if I don't have to (and yes, I'm fully aware that I don't HAVE to have this, or any game).


Drive across the border and get a post office box? whistle


Based on my calculations I believe to have it shipped to my address it will be about $160CAD.

I calculated how much it would be to pick it up across the border in Niagara Falls, NY, and I came to $140CAD. That doesn't include the 2 and half hours of driving there and back. So, I don't know... depends how much you value your time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
How about we stop calling you guys america jr and you just join the great USA? Then you can get cheaper shipping?


Would rather pay more for shipping and stay independent, but thanks...
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:
How about we stop calling you guys america jr and you just join the great USA? Then you can get cheaper shipping?


Would rather pay more for shipping and stay independent, but thanks...
I figured someone would say that... I say it's about time America finds some oil we want in Canada and liberate it, I mean the people...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaeVictis666 wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:
How about we stop calling you guys america jr and you just join the great USA? Then you can get cheaper shipping?


Would rather pay more for shipping and stay independent, but thanks...
I figured someone would say that... I say it's about time America finds some oil we want in Canada and liberate it, I mean the people...


Careful, we might infect your culture with universal healthcare, a social safety net and political leaders who have joined the 21st century...
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
VaeVictis666 wrote:
How about we stop calling you guys america jr and you just join the great USA? Then you can get cheaper shipping?


Would rather pay more for shipping and stay independent, but thanks...
I figured someone would say that... I say it's about time America finds some oil we want in Canada and liberate it, I mean the people...


Careful, we might infect your culture with universal healthcare, a social safety net and political leaders who have joined the 21st century...
lol please do
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Logus Vile wrote:
FreezenFire wrote:
Drive across the border and get a post office box? whistle
Based on my calculations I believe to have it shipped to my address it will be about $160CAD.

I calculated how much it would be to pick it up across the border in Niagara Falls, NY, and I came to $140CAD. That doesn't include the 2 and half hours of driving there and back. So, I don't know... depends how much you value your time.


You should definitely drive to Niagara Falls, NY and save $20CAD. Treat the journey as a positive. Is there anything to see there?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:

Based on my calculations I believe to have it shipped to my address it will be about $160CAD.

I calculated how much it would be to pick it up across the border in Niagara Falls, NY, and I came to $140 CAD. That doesn't include the 2 and half hours of driving there and back. So, I don't know... depends how much you value your time.


Where have you come up with those calculations? I am seeing 75 U.S. + 30 shipping = 105 US or ~140 CAD. I don't think we are charged taxes but maybe import fees. I assume those are part of the $30 though.

I don't know if this game is worth $140 Cad. The big draw for me at first was that it looked like a quality game at a great price. When I realized it was $140 though my excitement decreased a lot. It's still a fair price compared to most games due to the quality and amount of components but I have no attachment to the setting and the gameplay looks good but not great. I am thinking of getting either this or Massive Darkness and I think I am leaning towards the latter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
I am seeing 75 U.S. + 30 shipping = 105 US or ~140 CAD. I don't think we are charged taxes but maybe import fees. I assume those are part of the $30 though.
You will be charged GST. If FedEx/UPS are used for shipping (very likely), they will also add in their brokerage/handling fees which bumps it even higher. You can avoid their charges by self clearing the package yourself which would result in you only paying the GST.

I don't like the disparity between shipping in the states compared to shipping to Canada but its a necessary evil we have to deal with living up North.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm back to the thread.
Yes, I'm about 45 minutes from Buffalo (I'm in the Burlington area), and was debating this... But for $22, not going to happen.

Yeah, the package is massive (*immature giggle*), and heavy (16 lbs), so shipping clearly isn't cheap. It's just that to get it across that bloody border, shipping charges go up a stupid amount. Crossing an ocean, sure, I'll pay it, I can understand why it's so much to ship from overseas, but to go from California to Buffalo (potentially) is $8, yet another 50 miles is another $22? That irks me. I know the USPS no longer subsidizes international shipping like they do domestic, which is why domestic is very cheap (international is actual cost, supposedly), but it doesn't have to be like that. I realize residents of Alaska and Hawaii likely get equally screwed (more so Alaska - people in Hawaii at least live in Hawaii, whereas Alaska.. Sorry!), but there's a plane involved in those two.

Eh, I guess I'm just a little miffed that international buyers can't do group buys to reduce shipping. I understand many of the reasons, and fully see that it's a major pain to deal with from their side, but we're allowed to be irritated at the situation.

Maybe as a group we can do the truly Canadian thing and write some sternly worded (yet still remarkably polite) letters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiyoot wrote:
You will be charged GST. If FedEx/UPS are used for shipping (very likely), they will also add in their brokerage/handling fees which bumps it even higher. You can avoid their charges by self clearing the package yourself which would result in you only paying the GST.


This... so add 13% to $140 CAD... And he's right, if they use FedEx or something similar, we'll pay even more than $160.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
Logus Vile wrote:
FreezenFire wrote:
Drive across the border and get a post office box? whistle
Based on my calculations I believe to have it shipped to my address it will be about $160CAD.

I calculated how much it would be to pick it up across the border in Niagara Falls, NY, and I came to $140CAD. That doesn't include the 2 and half hours of driving there and back. So, I don't know... depends how much you value your time.


You should definitely drive to Niagara Falls, NY and save $20CAD. Treat the journey as a positive. Is there anything to see there?


Niagara Falls, NY is not a pretty sight to see. I once shipped a KS to a postbox the US side and got a little lost... It is pretty decrepit. Of course, there's the waterfalls itself... but you can see that from the Canadian side too. Plus Canadians made Niagara Falls, Ontario into a weird theme park almost.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abel Kim
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you have a friend in the states that can order it for you and can give it to you during winter?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kindree
Canada
Waterdown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dbriner31 wrote:
Do you have a friend in the states that can order it for you and can give it to you during winter?

Will you be my friend?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it also shows they're not going to the various shipping vendors and getting some bulk deal on shipping.

Punting a package across Canada as an individual will net you some pretty eye watering fee's and that's domestic. But you look at some of the FLGS' with an online presence [Boardgame Bliss or MeepleMart spring to mind] and they're charging $10 flat rate shipping due to quantity contracts they've worked with Canada Post.

I'm sure if they really wanted to Riot could do something similar even if its through a courier.

The Aussie's would probably also be high on that list too [they always have my sympathies] - but its particularly irksome when you live right next door.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Cleland
Canada
Carlisle
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor
I'm going to get it shipped to a business contact in the us and pick it up when I go on a work trip
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.