Subject: 5-6 License Setup Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
...watch how I soar!
mbmbmbmbmb
So the separate promo rules for Arctic Bounty mention the license composition for the 5 and 6 player games, but not how to set up the deck.

My initial thought was that setup remained the same as the 4p game (8 standards removed, shuffle the Premiums into the larger stack of standards, put the 8 back on top).

But, given that the standard setup ensures that at least 2 rounds of play happen before Premium licenses appear, would it make sense to remove more Standard licenses for the 5-6p game to ensure this happens (i.e., remove 10 standard for 5p and 12 standard for 6p)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
touchstonethefool wrote:
So the separate promo rules for Arctic Bounty mention the license composition for the 5 and 6 player games, but not how to set up the deck.

My initial thought was that setup remained the same as the 4p game (8 standards removed, shuffle the Premiums into the larger stack of standards, put the 8 back on top).

But, given that the standard setup ensures that at least 2 rounds of play happen before Premium licenses appear, would it make sense to remove more Standard licenses for the 5-6p game to ensure this happens (i.e., remove 10 standard for 5p and 12 standard for 6p)?

I found this file helpful to figure out what to do exactly:

Fleet and Arctic Fleet Setup Summary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
"Watch, but do not govern; stop war, but do not wage it; protect, but do not control; and first, survive!" - Cordwainer Smith
badge
...watch how I soar!
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
touchstonethefool wrote:

That's strange, because I found a different setup/player-aid put together by another user that assumes the way I did for standard setup...

Fleet Setup Guide and Card List

Although this does not include the Advanced setup, where it's clearer that the first round always is only standard licenses (your link has setup top-deck the full number of standard cards depending on player count rather than the draw-and-replace method described in the base game rules, which are pretty much functionally the same).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
touchstonethefool wrote:
ayejae wrote:
touchstonethefool wrote:

That's strange, because I found a different setup/player-aid put together by another user that assumes the way I did for standard setup...

Although this does not include the Advanced setup, where it's clearer that the first round always is only standard licenses (your link has setup top-deck the full number of standard cards depending on player count rather than the draw-and-replace method described in the base game rules, which are pretty much functionally the same).

Oh interesting. I went back through the rules. In the Arctic Bounty setup, it says use 2 cards per player, so I guess it should be 10 cards for 5 players and 12 cards for 6 players. So I guess the one I posted is wrong in that respect.

Edit: Arctic Bounty Rulebook page 3:

Quote:
Choose any two Dock Cards and set them in piles near the License Card deck. Add two of each Dock Card per player — e.g. in a 3-player game, 6 of each card should be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
...watch how I soar!
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
touchstonethefool wrote:
ayejae wrote:
touchstonethefool wrote:

Oh interesting. I went back through the rules. In the Arctic Bounty setup, it says use 2 cards per player, so I guess it should be 10 cards for 5 players and 12 cards for 6 players. So I guess the one I posted is wrong in that respect.

Edit: Arctic Bounty Rulebook page 3:

Quote:
Choose any two Dock Cards and set them in piles near the License Card deck. Add two of each Dock Card per player — e.g. in a 3-player game, 6 of each card should be used.

My question wasn't for dock cards, it was for License setup, as it says in the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
touchstonethefool wrote:
My question wasn't for dock cards, it was for License setup, as it says in the title.

Oops, read that wrong, haha. Ok, back to square 1, I guess I'm not sure anymore. Would be nice to get an official ruling. My guess is that not many people play with 5+. I think it makes sense to have 10 or 12 instead of 8, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
touchstonethefool wrote:

Oops, read that wrong, haha. Ok, back to square 1, I guess I'm not sure anymore. Would be nice to get an official ruling. My guess is that not many people play with 5+. I think it makes sense to have 10 or 12 instead of 8, actually.

Yes, it should be set up to have two rounds with no premiums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Keith
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
...watch how I soar!
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
ayejae wrote:
touchstonethefool wrote:

Yes, it should be set up to have two rounds with no premiums

Awesome! Thanks Matt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.