Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend needs some help!! They were recently on a camping trip and as every good camping trip deserves, they played a game of Catan with their family.

When they got back from their trip, he asked me to help them with a Road question...but he wasn't happy with my answer and I couldn't find evidence to back up my ruling so I said I would put out the call on BGG for some help!

Here's the situation:

Player A has a long road across the board. Player B has a road that intersects Player A's road. Player B builds a settlement in the middle of Player A's road, disrupting the longest road.

So far, they're all good. Player A now has road sections on both sides of Player B's settlement but only has a settlement on the North side of the block...

So, can Player A continue to build road sections and settlements on the South side of the block?

Apparently the logic was that "supplies can no longer be brought from the settlement so they can't build any more."

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Haydock
United Kingdom
Gloucester
flag msg tools
Yes they can still build.

The idea that goods can't travel down down the road should be admired in as much as your friends are clearly completely absorbed by the theme ... but that's not how the game works.

Think about the game start; even if the two settlements aren't connected, a player can build on either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickjhay wrote:

The idea that goods can't travel down down the road should be admired in as much as your friends are clearly completely absorbed by the theme ... but that's not how the game works.

Think about the game start; even if the two settlements aren't connected, a player can build on either.

I agree completely, but their logic is that you can build from both because both spots have settlements.

It's not explained in the rules, so is there an official place I can point him to that outlines this? I couldn't find anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
rasmussen81 wrote:
nickjhay wrote:

I agree completely, but their logic is that you can build from both because both spots have settlements.

It's not explained in the rules, so is there an official place I can point him to that outlines this? I couldn't find anything.

The rules are quite clear ... And the Almanac section on Settlements is even clearer:
Catan Almanac wrote:
You must meet 2 conditions when building a settlement:
(1) Your settlement must always connect to 1 or more of your own roads.
(2) You must observe the Distance Rule.

There are only 2 conditions for building a settlement and neither of them requires the settlement to be connected to another settlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:

The rules are quite clear ... And the Almanac section on Settlements is even clearer:
Catan Almanac wrote:
You must meet 2 conditions when building a settlement:
(1) Your settlement must always connect to 1 or more of your own roads.
(2) You must observe the Distance Rule.

There are only 2 conditions for building a settlement and neither of them requires the settlement to be connected to another settlement.

I'll pass that along. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and the only restriction on roads is "a new road must connect to one of your existing roads, settlements or cities"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rasmussen81 wrote:
I think you need to flip the question. You're trying to find where is says you can keep building, but look also for whether it ever says you can't.

Severing a road has special significance in the rules for determining "LONGEST ROAD"

You can break an opponent's road by building a settlement on an unoccupied intersection along his road!

Nothing more is said about it, so the basic rules regarding roads and settlements are still in effect. Here are two selected quotes (not contiguous).

A road must always connect to one of your existing roads, settlements, or cities. Only 1 road can be built on any given path.

Each of your settlements must connect to at least 1 of your own roads.

(these quotes from Rules and Almanac document, copyright 1995, 1997, 1999, 2005, 2007, 2015 Catan GmbH and Mayfair Games, Inc.)

(and I see others have contributed while I was researching and composing)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here is the official answer: http://www.catan.com/faq/4631-settlements-and-cities-may-i-b...

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH
FAQ Editorial Board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is not my user name.
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
rasmussen81 wrote:
Apparently the logic was that "supplies can no longer be brought from the settlement so they can't build any more."

If they're looking for a thematic justification, this doesn't cut it. Why would they no longer be able to bring supplies from the settlement? The road is still there, isn't it? Supplies can still be brought from Salt Lake City to Bend, even though the road passes through Boise.

The different colored settlements and cities are not at war with each other. They trade with each other. There is no combat, no embargoes or blockades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedPiranha wrote:
And here is the official answer: http://www.catan.com/faq/4631-settlements-and-cities-may-i-b...

Dr. Reiner Düren
Catan GmbH
FAQ Editorial Board

Yay!! Thank you so much.

That will lay the argument to rest and allow my friend to get back into the game...though he won't be too happy! He was the loudest voice saying that his sister couldn't build on the far side of the road he interrupted!! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.