Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So when I first started gaming, I was mostly into Family-weight, mostly gateway games, like Ticket to Ride, Catan, Carcassonne, Fluxx, Apples to Apples, etc. Mostly Euro games, but simpler euro games.

At the same time, I had a strong dislike for direct conflict between players, and especially the idea of area control games, especially ones with a focus on combat.

In the next few years, my taste changed, I played Tikal and area control became interesting to me. I still wasn't really into combat, but area control I was okay with. Around this same time I also really liked deckbuilders, and played Dominion and Resident Evil a lot.

I started gaining an interest in roleplaying games, like Dungeons and Dragons and dungeon crawls, like Descent. I never had the chance to play Dungeones and Dragons, though. I did play Descent, and it was decent.

In the next few years after that, I grew a dislike for deckbuilders, especially when it became the norm to, instead of build your deck from several available stacks of cards, reveal random cards from a single deck. I hated that. My taste for Conflict-based games changed dramatically, after playing Blood Rage, I started to really enjoy that type of game. I also started to enjoy deeper, heavier euros like The Gallerist and Russian Railroads.

My taste for games like Fluxx and Apples to Apples completely vanished, and Catan became something I wouldn't touch.

And finally, now my preferences are still, constantly being defined, but in general, I know what I like and what I dislike. But if I look back, and see how much has changed in the past, I wonder how much will change in the future.

One thing that hasn't changed is my constant want to play new games. I'm always excited to play something I haven't played before (after asking what type of game it is first, of course)

--

Just thought I'd share this, cuz I was thinking about it. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's common for preferences to shift as we ourselves shift -- both as gamers and as people. My gateway game was SmashUp -- a good game, and I think well-done, but also maybe not a perfect 10. The reason I loved it, though, was because my father-in-law and brother-in-law played it a lot, and they introduced it to me and because I wanted to get to know my new family, I gave it a whirl. Now, while it's not my favorite game, it'll always be a good one, and I very much enjoy playing it when it comes out.

We started out with lighter games: Dixit, Smallworld, Carcassonne, Escape, Smash Up, Tokaido, Sheriff of Nottingham. All of those are still in my collection (some are even tens) but I've also picked up some heavier games. It's a natural tendency for gamers to want to shift heavier because we want games that will continue to be a challenge to us. Of course, simpler isn't always worse, but heavier represents an extra challenge. This is where I've picked up Five Tribes, Paperback, Glory to Rome, Lewis and Clark, etc.

Those aren't really "heavy" games compared to the meaty Euros or (heaven forbid) wargames, but it's a clear shift from lighter to heavier. I'm limited by my gaming group, made up of mostly casual players. While I enjoy heavier games (Roads and Boats, Terra Mystica, etc) I will never own them because of the nature of our group. Even so, I count it a distinct success that I'm able to introduce complex games like L&C, GtR, and Five Tribes to people who six months ago hadn't played anything more difficult than Ticket to Ride.

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I started, I wanted to play a lot of co-op games, and didn't think I'd like Euro style games. I think I was afraid of losiing too much and feeling stupid. Lords of Waterdeep was the game that changed my mind, and I have been introduced to 4x style games that I'm really enjoying. Win or lose (mostly lose), I am having more fun than ever. I think the more exposure you get to different styles of games, the more you'll find them rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been everywhere. Started off sort of fast (Talisman -> Eldritch Horror -> War of the Ring -> Mage Knight) and got into the hobby very quickly. After I kind of tried a wide variety of games I got into euros (Fields of Arle, Nippon) of which now I can't stand anymore. Now I have really boiled down my collection to where I have only one type of each type of game, so I have a smallish collection with a wide variety. Not quite sure what I like however, but I guess I like hand management games with high difficulty and low conflict. Not fond of rolling dice, and now I've even branched into wargaming with Conflict of Heroes which I like for the most part, but god learning war games is a pain in the ass (soo ooooo oo many rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Bennett
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
As someone who's only really been into board games for around a year now, it's been interesting watching my own interests in game styles grow and develop over time.

At first I only really wanted to play cooperative games- I despised having conflict, especially anything that was head to head, destroy your opponent style. We started with games like Shadows Over Camelot, Eldritch Horror, Pandemic (Which I adore), and Forbidden Island. They were all I really wanted to play. I didn't even like Munchkin much because you almost always have to be mean to other people to win- and I didn't want to be mean! We tried Sushi Go, and I hated the competitive card drafting element, but the cooperative Legendary is one of my top favorite games.

Soon we ended up with games like Takenoko, and Carcasonne which were competitive, but I found I enjoyed them a lot! We're not working together, but we're not being nasty to each other either. Lords of Waterdeep was bought, and despite my terror that I would be awful at formulating a strategy and managing all the things going on, I loved it. It was complex, but just the right amount to ease me in. Small World was bought and much loved as well, because it made the competition lighthearted, and fun, despite murderizing each other. Dark Tales has helped me feel a bit more competent in building combos and strategizing based on random draw.

Right now I'm at the point where I want to play EVERYTHING. We've picked up Terra Mystica, though haven't tried it yet (We got it at whole sale price, and 30 bucks off the base price was too good a deal to pass up for that one!) I desperately want to try Scythe, which isn't a game type I'd have even considered trying earlier this year. I was terrified of card drafting because I felt I'd never be able to formulate a strategy, but I won a game of Seasons last night against my husband who spent his teenage years card drafting MTG and is quite good at card games and maximizing their strategies. I'm even wanting to play some Summoner Wars tonight- a direct, head to head, competitive, murdery game.

My favorite's are still cooperative games. I love working out the strategies together as a team, it's so much fun. Legendary I think will always be an top favorite- seeing everyone's decks come together in huge, epic combos is just the best feeling. But as my confidence in what I'm doing grows, the competitive games are starting to seem more appealing. I also credit shows like Geek and Sundry's Tabletop for pushing me towards trying new games. It's because of that show that we first checked out Small World, Takenoko, and Legendary. There's something about watching other people just having fun playing a game that takes some of the scariness out of the competitive aspect too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it interesting that some of you guys only wanted to play co-ops. I think because I came from playing Yugioh, for me, there was always a liking for strategy, and card games, as well as some competitiveness. I liked co-ops, but it was never a main focus of mine.

I got to a point, along the way, where I actually started to write-off games that a lot of people trash in the beginning, just because of their nature. Like Munhkin, I haven't played Munchkin, and now I have no interest in playing because I know its nature. Same with Talisman. Do you guys find that to be true for you, too? Where you hear about a game and just know you won't like it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.