Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First turn: Klingons form all three ships into an invasion fleet. Enter and exit warp. Discover a level 4 hazardous planetary system. All ships destroyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guðmundur Skallagrímson
Canada
flag msg tools
Some might want to look at this example and say "unlucky", but I would ask, what were the Klingons trying to invade with their invasion fleet? the darkness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
guthmundur wrote:
Some might want to look at this example and say "unlucky", but I would ask, what were the Klingons trying to invade with their invasion fleet? the darkness?

Do Klingons really NEED a reason to form an invasion fleet?

Not a bad move, really. Always a chance your first explored system could be a developed civ in need of a good ass kicking...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ouch

I've been coming up with ways to mitigate the luck slightly.

I did suggest starting at lvl 1 shields & weaps but I think it risks changing the game to much.

The easiest way I've come up with is a 50% armour save. On Exploration card and System Hazards (not advancement hazards) for each ship lost roll a dice on 4,5,6 the ship is saved - hurray! It's a nice system as the worse your luck on the first roll them more armour checks you roll on the second so it reduces the chances of large fleet losses greatly.

The other method I came up with is:

Evasive Manoeuvres
After a player rolls for a Hazard he may add +1 to the result, however he forfeits any reward gained from passing the test (ship survival and entering the system do not count as rewards).

I've not tested this one but should create some interesting choices instead of being told what happens by the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitigate luck?

IMO there wasnt luck involved in the destruction of the klingon fleet. anyone who sends a fleet containing 100% of their military might into unexplored territory gets whats coming to them. try a scout ship first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It wasn't a wise move...but it was a VERY Klingon move. Points for role playing were considered but ultimately not awarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
It wasn't a wise move...but it was a VERY Klingon move. Points for role playing were considered but ultimately not awarded.

sending 100% of your forces to annilate a rival very klingon, sending them into unknown space? i dont know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is why I recommend building 3 new ships in your first turn and making that a fleet, rather than forming up your 3 starting ships into a fleet. It doesn't cost a command, for starters, and if something goes wrong you'll still have 3 ships left, instead of having to wait until your next turn before moving out. Losing 100% of your ships on your first turn and not getting a new planet under your control is a HUGE setback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Klaxas wrote:
mitigate luck?

IMO there wasnt luck involved in the destruction of the klingon fleet. anyone who sends a fleet containing 100% of their military might into unexplored territory gets whats coming to them. try a scout ship first!

Of course it wasn't a good opening move, but Ascendancy is perfectly capable of repeatedly screwing you over when making entirely the right choice.

It's down to taste and how relevant you want you're choices to be I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
This happened to a Romulan player in one of our games, except he ran into the chrystilline entity!

You can build 3 ships and form a fleet 1st turn, but never explore with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its best to only explore twice with single ships on turn 1 to get the most of the initial planets, then on turn 2 build a fleet as appropriate to deal with what you found the previous turn.

certainly for federation as you have several types of fleets to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm certainly no expert, but for me, fleets are TASK-organized for a specific purpose and mission. To explore, I send individual ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
its best to only explore twice with single ships on turn 1 to get the most of the initial planets, then on turn 2 build a fleet as appropriate to deal with what you found the previous turn.

with the romulans i usually build a mining fleet on turn 1, hoping the first single ship i sent out finds something i can mine, then i start mining on turn 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

with the romulans i usually build a mining fleet on turn 1, hoping the first single ship i sent out finds something i can mine, then i start mining on turn 1.

there is no certainty you can use it, sure it would be nice but then sending the fleet would make exploring a 2nd planet this turn impossible.

if you do want to use it, then for the mining fleet take your chances to send it immediately to explore as its flexible enough (the chance for mining is quite big) and then you can still do a 2nd exploration this turn.

if you only have one possible planet to colonize on turn 2 that could set you back more than the production gain from mining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to skip the build phase on turn one. That way I will have four production on turn two which could potentially build one of each node on colonized worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
Klaxas wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

there is no certainty you can use it, sure it would be nice but then sending the fleet would make exploring a 2nd planet this turn impossible.

if you do want to use it, then for the mining fleet take your chances to send it immediately to explore as its flexible enough (the chance for mining is quite big) and then you can still do a 2nd exploration this turn.

if you only have one possible planet to colonize on turn 2 that could set you back more than the production gain from mining.

just because you find a planet you cant mine doesnt mean it is colonizable. heck it could even be a phenomenon in our games cause we shuffle them all together.

i go like this, build 3 ships into a fleet. no command needed.
commands 1 and 2, send a ship out to explore
if it is a minable planet, commands 3-5 are to move the mining fleet and mine
if it not mineable comands 3-4 are to scout a second planet then 5 is to research (with focused research if available)

so if i cant mine the first planet i still can explore the second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where are you getting that you can build ships directly into a fleet without using a command?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
Where are you getting that you can build ships directly into a fleet without using a command?

It's on page 8 under the section on building ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

this i disagree with. the 2 production per turn for no resource cost is amazing. it will help you develop any planet you do find faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
csouth154 wrote:

It's on page 8 under the section on building ships.

Thanks. Missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you did have to pay 3 production to build the ships for the fleet, you used your 3 starting production for this, if then the mining fleet doesnt pay off on turn 1 you would only have 1 production to build nodes in your turn 2 build phase.

it all depends the luck of the draw of course but it is a risky move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
you did have to pay 3 production to build the ships for the fleet, you used your 3 starting production for this, if then the mining fleet doesnt pay off on turn 1 you would only have 1 production to build nodes in your turn 2 build phase.

it all depends the luck of the draw of course but it is a risky move.

but the 3 ships as an asset are still usable, they are not being "spent" later on after you no longer need a mining colony (if that ever happens) you still have those 3 ships (baring unforeseen circumstances)

with 1 production and your starting resources you can build any node except a production node.

i would even go so far as to say the first planet i find will most likely be mined rather than colonized.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.