Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When choosing the cycling strategy cards option, are you required to state how many cards you are cycling, and pay for that, before you begin? I could see a player with a ton of silver being willing to do them one at a time to get a specific card.

Not sure from the rules whether this is an "atomic choice" or can be done sequentially, if that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you must state how many you are cycling. For all actions, you choose the action first (in this case, choose 1, 2 or 3 cards to cycle), then resolve the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Only two plays for me so far, but the Strategy cards are the least utilized portion of the game by far - you initially pay $X for a Strategy card (action), then discard it (action), then buy a new one for $X (action).

Sure they can be powerful, but that's a lot of actions and money to switch 'em out when the game is so incredibly tight (reminds me a bit of Paths of Glory where trying to take down the Tzar via multiple card plays costs you initiative on the board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Only two plays for me so far, but the Strategy cards are the least utilized portion of the game by far - you initially pay $X for a Strategy card (action), then discard it (action), then buy a new one for $X (action).

Sure they can be powerful, but that's a lot of actions and money to switch 'em out when the game is so incredibly tight (reminds me a bit of Paths of Glory where trying to take down the Tzar via multiple card plays costs you initiative on the board).

It's essentially meant to be that way. The strategy cards can be thought of as a sort of "national focus", so changing it represents a rather large shift in your government's approach to the war, and consequently requires some extra effort to achieve.

In development the strategy cards did get cheaper over time, and the optional maintenance rules were added, mostly to encourage/force a bit more churn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goirish 374
msg tools
piling on...

when cycling more than one card, do you still only draw one card to replace them (strict reading of the rules) or 1 for each cycled card (interpretive reading)?

perhaps better said: if i pay three to cycle all three strategy cards, should there be 1 new strategy card in afterwards or 3 new cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Goirish374 wrote:
piling on...

when cycling more than one card, do you still only draw one card to replace them (strict reading of the rules) or 1 for each cycled card (interpretive reading)?

perhaps better said: if i pay three to cycle all three strategy cards, should there be 1 new strategy card in afterwards or 3 new cards?

You replace each one that you cycled. There are always 3 strategy cards face up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.