Subject: Got it for a really good deal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm wondering if I should keep it or list it on ebay for twice what I paid. Dilemmas dilemmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:

I think he's wanting us to ask him what he originally got it for. There is no other reason to post a comment like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine free in the summer of '11, it having fallen off the back of an oxcart in shrink and in perfect condition. Where exactly it fell to remain in mint condition is no business besides mine and the oxen's, so let's just say that's why shrink-wrap was invented. I recently sold it after long negotiations for $1,439.25 to an astonishingly wealthy and eccentric collector, she having long been in search of a board game with exactly such a provenance, preferably designed by someone with a first name starting with "U." Such circumstance being quite difficult to prove under ordinary conditions, I was blessed with having been conducting a secret trial run of the Google Glasses on that precise and sweaty summer day five years agone, and so the aforementioned oxcart and all that it left behind was well-recorded. So although the eight-pound pair of prototypical specs did ever so slightly and permanently disfigure my ears, I'm happy to report that I finally feel that the day was a net positive. Depositing my suitcase full of quarters at my bank last week, I thanked my lucky stars and swore that one day I'd share this story with all those in the board game community who'd care to listen, since they'd surely be rapt and keen to hear the latest about my personal financial fortunes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
I got mine free in the summer of '11, it having fallen off the back of an oxcart in shrink and in perfect condition. Where exactly it fell to remain in mint condition is no business besides mine and the oxen's, so let's just say that's why shrink-wrap was invented. I recently sold it after long negotiations for $1,439.25 to an astonishingly wealthy and eccentric collector, she having long been in search of a board game with exactly such a provenance, preferably designed by someone with a first name starting with "U." Such circumstance being quite difficult to prove under ordinary conditions, I was blessed with having been conducting a secret trial run of the Google Glasses on that precise and sweaty summer day five years agone, and so the aforementioned oxcart and all that it left behind was well-recorded. So although the eight-pound pair of prototypical specs did ever so slightly and permanently disfigure my ears, I'm happy to report that I finally feel that the day was a net positive. Depositing my suitcase full of quarters at my bank last week, I thanked my lucky stars and swore that one day I'd share this story with all those in the board game community who'd care to listen, since they'd surely be rapt and keen to hear the latest about my personal financial fortunes.

You're not helping me make a decision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:
grant5 wrote:

I think he's wanting us to ask him what he originally got it for. There is no other reason to post a comment like that.

You're right, no other conceivable reason in the entire universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
You're not helping me make a decision

That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
mandingoman wrote:
grant5 wrote:

True, there's also bragging. And gloating. Bragging and gloating. The universe contains at least three reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Paris

Monforte de Lemos
LUGO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not going to end well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a weird thing to brag about. The only thing exclusive to the goodies box was a sheet of stickers. Otherwise everything else was available separately and still readily obtainable. I guess you can get $100ish on ebay. So you probably made yourself $40 or $50 after fees and original cost. That's cool, I guess. If you like that kind of return, you should get in with the rest of the crowd buying up cases of FFG games, waiting for them to go OOP in February. $90 today on Forbidden Stars will certainly net you a cool $140 next summer. Maybe you thrifted it for like a dollar. In which case, there's an entire weekly list devoted to this kind of crowing and I'd highly recommend turning in your find for the thumbs, gg, and virtual high fives from the thrifters.

In any case, there are far rarer, far richer, and far more profitable ventures than this particular nugget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
alphasixty wrote:
mandingoman wrote:
grant5 wrote:

True, there's also bragging. And gloating. Bragging and gloating. The universe contains at least three reasons.

Not that either. Keep trying, hot shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
It's a weird thing to brag about. The only thing exclusive to the goodies box was a sheet of stickers. Otherwise everything else was available separately and still readily obtainable. I guess you can get $100ish on ebay. So you probably made yourself $40 or $50 after fees and original cost. That's cool, I guess. If you like that kind of return, you should get in with the rest of the crowd buying up cases of FFG games, waiting for them to go OOP in February. $90 today on Forbidden Stars will certainly net you a cool $140 next summer. Maybe you thrifted it for like a dollar. In which case, there's an entire weekly list devoted to this kind of crowing and I'd highly recommend turning in your find for the thumbs, gg, and virtual high fives from the thrifters.

In any case, there are far rarer, far richer, and far more profitable ventures than this particular nugget.

I'm not interested in making a profit, per se, but since I happened to get something that is currently hard to come by for a cheap price I am now faced with the dilemma of either selling it and buying another game or two with the money I'd make from it, or just keeping it and enjoying it. Is it really worth keeping? Are the stickers and decks that cool? I have the animeeples already, but not the vegemeeples or resourceeples. I also like the different terrain types you can use as player boards. Not sure what I should do, but posting here on boardgamegeek was clearly a mistake. People can't help but be antagonistic you-know-whats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thread backfire. To be fair your even apart from views on this kind of flipping, your OP was terrible and didn't really give anyone much to go on in terms of providing advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
Thread backfire. To be fair your even apart from views on this kind of flipping, your OP was terrible and didn't really give anyone much to go on in terms of providing advice.

Sure, but the backlash was still unwarranted.

That said, do people who own this expansion feel it's worth holding onto?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, not sure exactly what "To be fair your even apart from views on this kind of flipping" means. It's a very odd sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
...posting here on boardgamegeek was clearly a mistake. People can't help but be antagonistic you-know-whats.

You realize your OP didn't actually ask any question, or specify the type of input you were looking for.

To me the tone was one of bragging about having two enticing options to choose between. Like a #firstworldproblems #humblebrag type of post, which I found obnoxious.

I'm delighted to find out that wasn't your intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
alphasixty wrote:
...posting here on boardgamegeek was clearly a mistake. People can't help but be antagonistic you-know-whats.

You realize your OP didn't actually ask any question, or specify the type of input you were looking for.

To me the tone was one of bragging about having two enticing options to choose between. Like a #firstworldproblems #humblebrag type of post, which I found obnoxious.

I'm delighted to find out that wasn't your intention.

It's really easy to misinterpret things on the internet, but try giving folks the benefit of the doubt next time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:

I love the stickers.

I had already stickered my resource disks and have animals from elsewhere. I found that the resources this provides are too big for my liking.

The X-Deck is awful.

The CZ Deck is ok.

So, in a word... no. If you decide to sell it, I shouldn't be on your marketing team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
alphasixty wrote:

I love the stickers.

I had already stickered my resource disks and have animals from elsewhere. I found that the resources this provides are too big for my liking.

The X-Deck is awful.

The CZ Deck is ok.

So, in a word... no. If you decide to sell it, I shouldn't be on your marketing team.

Thanks!

Good to know. Will probably sell it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.