$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
43.4% of Goal | left

Support:

United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I saw this article the other day. i tried googling it to see if there was anything more, but it looks like it was only reported in two places.

PIX11, which appears to be NY TV Station, and the Gothamist.com, which I have no idea what that is.

Links below.

http://pix11.com/2016/09/24/neighborhood-outraged-over-seemi...

http://gothamist.com/2016/09/22/crow_bar_crown_heights.php

Basically, bar opens in a neighborhood which is predominantly black, and people claim that the name "Crow" is racist because it was used back in the day, Jim Crow and all that. Owner contends the name is in reference to an old prison that used to be in the area.

So I'm curious what people think. A legitimate claim of racism, or example of people being offended because they simply can be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not certain, but if you're looking to sell to the community maybe don't fight them on it and just change the name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that it wasn't intended as a Jim Crow reference and was simply a play on crowbar. But yeah, if the customers don't like it (even if their reasons don't make sense), changing the name seems wise. Gotta have customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
COMPNOR wrote:

So I'm curious what people think. A legitimate claim of racism, or example of people being offended because they simply can be?

Legitimate, illegitimate, I guess it'll come down to economics and little else.

Keep the name, keep the clientele? Keep the name alienate the clientele?

The Internet's opinion isn't going to matter, they're not the one paying the bills.

Local issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so the owner can double down and refuse to change which will probably alienate his customers.

Or he can admit his mistake, change it and maybe turn it into a positive PR move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:
Basically, bar opens in a neighborhood which is predominantly black

Is it racist to point out the demographic of the neighborhood ?

If he had signs up that said "we accept WIC" or "no fee benefits check cashing" then we might have to look at the racism angle.

Anyway, not racist but you have to change it if that's the clientele you want to serve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

See, I would have gone with the Unniggardly Pub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
so the owner can double down and refuse to change which will probably alienate his customers.

Or he can admit his mistake, change it and maybe turn it into a positive PR move.
Yes, I think that sums it up.

Interestingly the name Crow hill may be a reference to the fact blacks lived there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Following your head might be a long, long road to nowhere
Don't dwell on the past
You've got to find the strength to lead you

Hear my words now
Suffer with me
Drown in despair
Set yourself free

Underneath your skin is there enough to keep you breathing?
I drew my own blood another life through this transfusion

Born again in time you're not alone in what you're feeling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COMPNOR wrote:

Likely an innocent thing. But yeah, as others say, if the locals are annoyed/offended by it, it is in his best interest to hear them out, even if his intentions were totally pure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.