Subject: Ground attack aircraft in Panzer. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark law
Australia
brisbane
qld
flag msg tools
Hello - just a couple of "newbie questions" about aircraft in the game.
We played Glorious Goodwood yesterday and the Typhoons dominated the game - obviously we "goofed" somehow-
* when can the Aircraft enter the battle? - first or second air phase - either way the Typhoon was able to strafe the Germans as they pushed down the highway and do horrible damage and slowed the German advance- I guess historically accurate but not a lot of fun for the German Player.
*Can the 88 flak start the game deployed?
*Can the 88 flak move half and unlimber?
*On the Typhoon aircraft data chart - what does the GP effectiveness 1-8 mean for both bombing and strafing?
*Also what does the 7 and the 10 under gunnery range mean for strafing and bombing?
I suggested as a "house rule" that aircraft should only be allowed to enter randomly by rolling a d6+2- which would allow some movement for the Germans (in this scenario) and time to set up AAA.
Have any of you had similar experiences with Ground Attack Aircraft?- any ideas or comments would be appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. either phase, but not both phases in one turn

2. for that scenario, it has to enter from off board, so it will have to be towed on (Movement class 0L, so no Manhandling)

3. sounds normal for a towed gun

4. [from the rules; you'll also see this number for offboard artillery] If an Effective Result and the final modified result did not end in a 5 or is not a 10, the vehicle unit is Knocked Out or Brewed Up. The shooter rolls (10). If the result is equal to or less than maximum GP Effectiveness Factor, the vehicle Brews Up (see
6.5.2.5), otherwise it is Knocked out (see 6.5.2.5). Passenger units must attempt to bail out (see 6.5.4.5).

5. GP F = GP Factor; they list no range because it is restricted by these two rules:
6.7.3.2 Strafing
All aircraft are armed with a certain number of internal machineguns
and/or cannons. These are GP weapons that utilize
a Strafe Pattern based on the Speed of the aircraft. Strafing
attacks must be conducted from Low Altitude. All small arms
strafing is considered Point Blank Range.
If the aircraft unit is strafing at Slow Speed, it hits the target
unit’s hex immediately in front of the aircraft and the next hex.
If the aircraft is strafing at Fast Speed, it hits the target unit’s
hex immediately in front of the aircraft and the next two hexes.

6.7.3.3 Bombs
Bombs are dropped from Low, Medium or High Altitude and
hit the target unit’s hex immediately in front of the aircraft.

Remember the time limit on aircraft loiter (6.7.2.1 - five turns from first appearance on map) and ammo load (6.7.1).

I've only used them in one scenario. The Stuka was literally hit and miss. Maybe you just kept rolling well or the German player gave juicy strips of targets (which is easy to do when rumbling along the roads)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark law
Australia
brisbane
qld
flag msg tools
Thanks Brent for your help- it makes a lot more sense now- I read and re read the Aircraft rules but obviously missed it- yeah it was nasty for the Germans the aircraft dominated the game. I guess leapfrogging the 88s along the line of advance would have been the thing to do - and setting up parts of the attack columns on overwatch to use their intrinsic AA factors- Goodness I come up with some intelligent things to do after the fact - darn it- thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.