Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 1st edition, and despite loving the atmosphere and the idea of it - I only got it to the table a few times.

I have high hopes for this 2nd edition, given the reviews and opinions here in general. I'm going to introduce it to one of my game groups, who are hopefully predisposed to like it - as they like Eldritch Horror, Arkham Horror and the Cthulhu mythos in general.

Question is - should we just play the 1st simplest scenario together and all be surprised? Or should I play the 1st scenario solo to make sure I'm clear on the rules and systems - and then play that same scenario again with my group - or tackle another scenario?

And what are others favourite scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just watch WatchItPlayed's rule video. Then play the first scenario with the group...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have the first edition and expansions, I would go ahead and play through the first scenario. I did this and, while I knew the basic story, the second game I played with my group was different enough that I was still surprised. Many of the tiles, monsters, events and even one of the puzzles were different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group jumped right in, and I'll say one thing about this game: it's the easiest game to "jump right in" with. We didn't read a thing, just read as the situations came up, and we played through the first scenario quite easily. I read the RRG afterwards, and we only screwed up one minor rule I think. This is by far FFG's best "fast start game" out.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

VillainousEye wrote:
Or should I play the 1st scenario solo to make sure I'm clear on the rules and systems - and then play that same scenario again with my group...

Personally, FWIW, this is how I approach every new game I bring to my game group.

It's the most prudent course of action, as far as I'm concerned anyway. I've watched and had too many frustrating - or at least "less than optimal" - group experiences when trying to dive into a new game for which no one is already intimately familiar with the rules. I'd rather scratch my fingernails on a chalkboard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It IS easy to learn and play and set-up, but bad habits from misunderstanding rules can completely sabotage any game if they aren't corrected quickly. Really, it probably depends on how pedantic your game group is.

And remember, if you plan on buying any of the expansion collections, it'd be a good idea to keep your "conversion kit" that comes with the base game of 2E. Don't lose it or throw it away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.