15 Posts

San Juan (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Should I buy the 1st edition or the 2nd? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
I am used to the artwork of the 1st edition, because I play it on my iPad quite a bit. Problem is I can never find anyone to play against me online on the iPad.

I want to buy the game.. should I buy a used copy of 1st edition or go with the 2nd edition?

What are the main differences between the two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a no brainer. Buy the second edition as it includes the expansion buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
I see some rules have changed on the 2nd edition cards. e.g. Gold mine and Guild Hall. Does the 2nd edition include a copy of these two cards with the old rules on them as well? The iPad app uses the old rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamegeekess wrote:
I see some rules have changed on the 2nd edition cards. e.g. Gold mine and Guild Hall. Does the 2nd edition include a copy of these two cards with the old rules on them as well?

No, it doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
boardgamegeekess wrote:
I see some rules have changed on the 2nd edition cards. e.g. Gold mine and Guild Hall. Does the 2nd edition include a copy of these two cards with the old rules on them as well?

No, it doesn't.

And why would it? The rules were changed to improve balance. Guildhall was overpowered as it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd edition includes the buildings from the San Juan: The New Buildings & The Events, but not the events. The events are not available for 2nd edition.

2nd edition includes the Hut building, which is not available for 1st edition.

2nd edition includes one less Sugar Plant building.

Several of the buildings have changes cost or effects (Prefecture, Goldmine, Guildhall, Bank) in 2nd edition.

In 2nd edition several of the cards have been reworded, likewise has the wording on the governor card, to include the new buildings.

2nd edition is available, 1st edition is OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
The rules were changed to improve balance. Guildhall was overpowered as it was.

Not if you play with the expansion. There is far less production buildings (%-wise).

After including the expansion we very seldom se anybody go for a Guildhall strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Beaumont
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
I have a Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers tile tattoo !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buy the 2nd edition, and then put it in a deck box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
the pics I have seen of the 1st edition box, say it contains extra cards/expansions.
But I think what you all are saying is that there have been a few more tweaks on 2nd edition to balance out the game.
sale price between the two is nearly 50%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
dipakSomak wrote:
the pics I have seen of the 1st edition box, say it contains extra cards/expansions.
But I think what you all are saying is that there have been a few more tweaks on 2nd edition to balance out the game.
sale price between the two is nearly 50%.

2nd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamegeekess wrote:
I am used to the artwork of the 1st edition, because I play it on my iPad quite a bit. Problem is I can never find anyone to play against me online on the iPad.

I want to buy the game.. should I buy a used copy of 1st edition or go with the 2nd edition?

What are the main differences between the two?

1st edition only includes the base game! It's only with an additional purchase of Treasure Chest that you get the San Juan expansion (and not that this item contains expansions for 7 games spread across 13 modules). If you're getting used, make sure it includes the SJ expansion, as folks often buy this, take the SJ material, and sell the rest of the stuff on the BGG marketplace and etc.

2nd edition includes the expansion buildings (which hopefully the backs now match the base game cards). Does NOT include The Events. I miss these, but others don't or were "meh" about them. Worst come to worst, find a way to proxy them in.
-IIRC, also includes better art?
-art is definitely different, as well as graphics (e.g., the VP symbol is now a red hex?)
-more balanced buildings....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1330934/differences-bet...
-Hut added
-perhaps some differences in Production building distribution? See link above for more info
-there might have been some rewordings on cards and/or rulebook to make things more clear

Overall, I'd go for 2nd edition.

1st edition only if you can get that for cheap. Also for The Events. And the exp. for cheap if you're also into that, or don't care about the exp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan
United Kingdom
Kings Langley, Herts, UK
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
ackmondual.
thanks so much for the comprehensive answer. I will need to look at the boxes much more carefully and make sure it is 2nd edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dipakSomak wrote:
ackmondual.
thanks so much for the comprehensive answer. I will need to look at the boxes much more carefully and make sure it is 2nd edition

AFAIK, the box front cover should indicate so.... not b/c it'll say "2nd edition", but the label says that it includes the exp. and the new building (Hut)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Gwinn

Oklahoma
msg tools
Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up buying the 1st edition because I found it for $9.99 on ebay in near mint condition. I'm used to the artwork of 1st edition .. 2nd is quite different. I play it all the time on my iPad and for some reason they haven't upgraded the iPad app to include any expansions. So it suits me fine that I have a hard copy of what I play all the time I guess. I beat the computer AI often when they try the guildhall strategy, with other strats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I respect that you did what you really wanted to do, at a cheap price, instead of doing what other people thought you should do. Sounds like you're happy with your art and happy with your decision.

I have the 2nd edition and haven't even played the expansion yet. I do like the artwork better - those purple cards look weird to me. But, that's always an opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.