4,187 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
26.4% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Justin K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is extremely hard (though not impossible) to set up in a real game, so I'm not claiming that this is problematic, but my friend and I found the following infinite combo which we thought was worth sharing:

Requirements
------------

Player A drafts:
Volur Witch (may retreat to Yggdrasil instead of being destroyed)
Loki's Poison (if you lose, take the winning player's card)

Player B drafts:
Frigga's Domain (may pay 1 rage to invade with any figure from Valhalla)
Thor's Ascension (if you win, gain 3 rage and 3 glory)
Loki's Poison

Note that both players need Loki's Poison, for which 5p expansion is required.

A further requirement is that opponents do not interfere; this might be achieved by running them out of rage before initiating the combo but this is probably the hardest step in practice.

The Combo
---------

Player A invades any province (let's say Horgr) with his Volur Witch. Player B invades Horgr with his leader.

Then repeat the following actions:

Player A Player B
-------- --------
Pillage Horgr
->Play Poison (Take Thor's) ->Play Thor's Ascension
->Lose and retreat Witch
->(net 0 rage) ->(net +3 rage)

Pillage Horgr
->Move in witch
->Play Thor's Ascension ->Play Poison (take Thor's)
->Lose Leader to Valhalla
->(net +3 rage) ->(net +3 rage)

Any action (e.g. march
something for 1 rage)
(net +2 rage)

Use Frigga's Domain to invade Horgr with Leader
(net +2 rage)

After this sequence, the board state is the same as it started except both players have gained 2 rage and (Axes+3) glory. If they have the same Axes stat then this is clearly mutually profitable.

This might not be errata-worthy but it would be cool if someone could pull it off in a real game and post a session report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emils E
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only pillage a province once, so player pillaging can't win.
And while this might be doable, all I see this do is create a 2 runaway leaders, makes game not fun for others involved, and more importantly once the players feel that they are uncathable by others they will have to start fighting between themselves for the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Jeffreys
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems highly unlikely to happen in actual play without the two players openly colluding to achieve this - in which case the other players would be aware, and be able to play to stop it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kops wrote:
This is extremely hard (though not impossible) to set up in a real game, so I'm not claiming that this is problematic, but my friend and I found the following infinite combo which we thought was worth sharing:

Requirements
------------

Player A drafts:
Volur Witch (may retreat to Yggdrasil instead of being destroyed)
Loki's Poison (if you lose, take the winning player's card)

Player B drafts:
Frigga's Domain (may pay 1 rage to invade with any figure from Valhalla)
Thor's Ascension (if you win, gain 3 rage and 3 glory)
Loki's Poison

Note that both players need Loki's Poison, for which 5p expansion is required.

A further requirement is that opponents do not interfere; this might be achieved by running them out of rage before initiating the combo but this is probably the hardest step in practice.

The Combo
---------

Player A invades any province (let's say Horgr) with his Volur Witch. Player B invades Horgr with his leader.

Then repeat the following actions:

Player A Player B
-------- --------
Pillage Horgr
->Play Poison (Take Thor's) ->Play Thor's Ascension
->Lose and retreat Witch
->(net 0 rage) ->(net +3 rage)

Pillage Horgr
->Move in witch
->Play Thor's Ascension ->Play Poison (take Thor's)
->Lose Leader to Valhalla
->(net +3 rage) ->(net +3 rage)

Any action (e.g. march
something for 1 rage)
(net +2 rage)

Use Frigga's Domain to invade Horgr with Leader
(net +2 rage)

After this sequence, the board state is the same as it started except both players have gained 2 rage and (Axes+3) glory. If they have the same Axes stat then this is clearly mutually profitable.

This might not be errata-worthy but it would be cool if someone could pull it off in a real game and post a session report!

That would be doable if you were playing a 2P game... playing with 3 others there's no way you could do that because the other players would obviously mess up your plans by invading the province after one of the battles or by pillaging all other regions and then entering that one...

So easy to stop this... Also, why would I collude with another player if we both would win the same? This is a competitive game so having a net gain of 0 to another player achieves nothing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matheus Affonso
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
mb
Emils has it right: it could only be done if you could pillage the same province multiple times. If there were 2 Tyr's Challenge clan upgrade cards, then it would be doable, with a net rage of 0 for both parties (-1 for invading/marching, -2 for repillage, +3 from Ascension).

Even if there were 2 TC available for drafting (I don't know whether the 5th Player Expansion adds one or not), considering you would need a 5 player game to attempt it, the other 3 players would have to not have half of their brains for it to work.

I mean, really... being able to drain 3 players to 0 rage by age 3 while keeping at least 2 provinces from being pillaged and keeping everyone out of reach for a call to battle... man, that would be quite an impressive feat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know why everyone is trying to tell me how hard/impossible this is to pull off when I already said that in the OP; the point is it is possible and might make for a fun challenge for some Johnnys to try to pull off.

hybry wrote:
You can only pillage a province once, so player pillaging can't win.

If you actually look at the sequence I posted you'll see that the player who initiates the pillage is never the winner, so the province in question remains unpillaged.

Muse23PT wrote:

Also, why would I collude with another player if we both would win the same? This is a competitive game so having a net gain of 0 to another player achieves nothing

Because it's a 5 player game and if you have the ability to eliminate 3 opponents and only have to fight off one more this is clearly beneficial?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks to me as though it is a (very) theoretically possible scenario. However, it also seems as though the list of circumstances required for the scenario to work is such that, in effect, you would need a collusion of all five players to set it up.

I suppose you could try to set it up, though; if it works you'd have another fun Blood Rage story to tell your friends...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Muse23PT]
Also, why would I collude with another player if we both would win the same? This is a competitive game so having a net gain of 0 to another player achieves nothing[/q wrote:

Because it's a 5 player game and if you have the ability to eliminate 3 opponents and only have to fight off one more this is clearly beneficial?

You confused me there with that question mark. Are you asking if it's clearly beneficial? Are you not sure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin K
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
Quote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Also, why would I collude with another player if we both would win the same? This is a competitive game so having a net gain of 0 to another player achieves nothing

You confused me there with that question mark. Are you asking if it's clearly beneficial? Are you not sure?

It was a rhetorical question, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rush
msg tools
kops wrote:
Flaviorbs wrote:
Quote:
Muse23PT wrote:

It was a rhetorical question, sorry.

FTFY, Flavio is known to be a bit of a troll. Though he does bring up some good points every once in a while. He wasn't confused at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Bigoraj
Poland
flag msg tools
Why would player A wanted to make other actions than pillaging, after winnig a battle, with currently having single unit in Horgr?
You know, if you want to play games in different way that they meant to be played then you can do lot of other crazy stuff too. But if your goal is to win the game, then you won't play as in this scenario, because it makes no sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.