BANG! The Dice Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Why everybody else (except me) is stupid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
"Bang! bang!" said the gun.
"6 out of 10," said the everybody.

Bang! the dice game has gotten a lot of buzz since it came out in (insert date here) and supposedly refined and streamlined the original Bang! card game....I've seen reviews by the Dice Tower guys and various others singing its praises, but unfortunately I will not be joining that choir.

I LIKEthe way that you can manipulate your dice and push your luck there. I like the theme and the look of the dice themselves. I like the quick play and the chance to shoot your friends/frenemies. I like the tension of Injuns coming down and attacking you when you have built up too many arrows.

I CAN'T SAY THAT I DON'T DISLIKEthe almost near absence of the social deduction element that is the element that constantly gets praised about this game. I have played with 5-ish players each time. One role (the sheriff) is open. For the remaining roles, it only takes a round or two to work out who everybody is and from there it's just a matter of getting good dice rolls to kill them, and push your luck/manipulate your dice rolls well. This part is fun, quick and light, but there's not much social deduction behind it.

If you added more players, to potentially increase the mystery of who is who, then that would exacerbate the other quibble I have with the game; the inability (for the most part) to directly interact with all other players. Rather, you are largely confined to interacting with (shooting) the people next to you on either side.

So...good game, light quick, fun game. But brilliant marvel of social deduction, hidden roles and deception? No, definitely no.

6,000 points out of 10,001.
Strictly for people who like games with dice about cowboys shooting outlaws where you can manipulate your dice and it feels like social deduction but only for one or two rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaban Jin wrote:

Strictly for people who like games with dice about cowboys shooting outlaws where you can manipulate your dice and it feels like social deduction but only for one or two rounds.

Not really, there is this option:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add, I think the game is pretty fun, but I prefer the card game. I just played the expansion, however, for the dice game yesterday. And it was pretty fun, but made the game longer.

Bang! the dice game is currently my 32nd favorite game and Bang! the card game is my 4th favorite game.

I should also note, I love the Western theme in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
Haven't heard much about the walking dead version. I like the western theme and I actually do like the game..n but just don't feel that the social deduction or hidden role part is as strong as some people imply.

Keen to try the original card version when I get a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
My Secret Santa is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a common misconception that Bang is a social deduction game. The goal of the game is not to keep your role hidden, but to win. So if you're an Outlaw it is often a good idea to attack the Sheriff early, especially in the card game where you don't want the Sheriff to build up too much defense. The roles are hidden so that the Outlaws have the chance to attack first, and to let the Renegade hide among the Deputies.

If you go into this game thinking it will be a social deduction game, you will be disappointed. This is a light filler game, that fixes the problem with the card game, which took too long time to finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.