22.9% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Burcht
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to play Falling sky with my class of students while we are reading de bello Gallico in Latin. I would choose the shortest scenario (30 cards) to not overwhelm them (they are 16 years old, most of them have only a bit of gaming experience). As a plus the final confrontation with Vercingetorix is a thing we read.
Can experienced players give an estimation how many lessons I should reserve for this (1 lesson is 50 minutes)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My games took 2 hour per game year (15 cards) but perhaps my group likes talking and over thinking a bit too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stefaan wrote:
I want to play Falling sky with my class of students while we are reading de bello Gallico in Latin.

Best teacher ever! I wish my teachers did that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I am really positively surprised about your idea to use a game as a learning tool - great concept!

Now, for the time of play - you would play with pretty inexperienced players, looking a lot into the rules plus probably stopping and discussing the events (it is great way of teaching history - to understand the events from game, their significance and way it influences game mechanics).

I am not sure if your goals should be to finish scenario, or rather play couple of rounds, showing situation and explaining events (as history lesson). I any case, I would say that you would probably not finish the whole scenario even in 3 or 4 sessions, but might give a lot of information to your class.

At the end, why not organize separate, game only sessions for all interested, after the lessons? They would also have some "hands on" experience from lessons tutorial.

PS. For experienced players the shortest scenario can indeed take as few hours as 2-2.5 but you really need to be experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Michal's suggestions are excellent.

One way that COIN and card-driven historical games have been used at the undergraduate university level is to team-play them in shorter sessions over the course of a couple weeks. Students take turns leading (with discussion) the decision on successive moves.

When a student receives or plays a card, they then must do a short report (for Falling Sky, for example, they could look up and explain a reference in Caesar to the event, perhaps guided by the game's Playbook background notes about the Event cards).

The purpose is to participate in telling some stories out of history, rather than to finish the game and either win or lose.

Good luck! Please let us know here how it goes, should you attempt it!!

Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Burcht
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all thanks for all your reactions, suggestions, estimations and kind words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Burcht
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the rest of my post got lost.
I will take the suggestion to make them do a little research on the cards that come up.
I understand the suggestion that playing to the end may not be needed. I will give it a go for a lesson or 2 and see if they want to see the end. The 2-4 hour timeframe I read in your posts sounds reasonable. The most important thing indeed is that they feel the situations and the decisions, no good and bad guys, but just people trying to make the best out of the situation they are in.
I will play through solo and maybe with gamerfriends before playing in class. That will give a smoother experience. I do not like looking things up in a rulebook during a lesson.
If you're interested, I will surely report when I'm done (plan is to play in november). I am sure the students will think it's strange that the designer of the game and some gamers from all over the world are curious to hear about their experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stefaan wrote:
First of all thanks for all your reactions, suggestions, estimations and kind words.

We are really eager to know how it goes in reality
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Dubcek
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think this is an awesome idea and I don't want to sound discouraging, but in my experience (2 half-plays so far, didn't finish) with other rookies as myself, we only got to the first winter after about 4 hours. Granted, we were in no hurry, but the game is fairly complex, specially for non-gamers so rules-referencing will probably happen.
Not to say that you shouldn't do this, but I suggest doing the playthrough and playing as many games as you can in advance so that you really know the rules well and can thus avoid the textbook.
I'm also looking forward to hearing how it goes. Alea jacta est
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefaan Henderickx
Belgium
Burcht
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a first solo session 1 year. It was indeed about 2 hours. This will not be easy for my students, especially the special abilities. I think Aedui won (but I did the German ivasion anyway, just to see how that works). For these interested, I included links to the starting setup and the end of the year (yes, Vercingetorix had a big plan).

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3229710/stefaan

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3229713/stefaan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.