Hide
5 Posts

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Why everybody (except me) will be torn apart by sharks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
"Yum, yum," said the sea monster, as he ate some sea men.
"Was that my 6, or my 1?" said Horatio as he wept into his balled fists.

Although the game SURVIVE! is an older game, first published in 1886 (research monkeys to fact check this date later), it feels modern and fresh, like your grandma's bloomers. No, really, it does feel like a new game.

I LIKEthe way that you both control your own sea men and also the monsters, whales, sharks and I didn't need that last commas. This makes for a tense back and forth as you and the other players try to wrestle the nasty beasties of the ocean back and forth away from yourself and towards them. I like the tension of picking up the land tiles each turn. You may be hoping for a safe landing for your own guys, or for a ravenous shark to eat your enemies like grandma's bloomers. I like (but my friend disagrees) the element (which you can choose to use or ignore) whereby once you have placed your 6 survivors/sea men you can not look at their point value (printed on their bums). This can make for some nail biting moments as you see one of your boats get smashed by a whale, then everyone eaten by a shark, and wonder... "was that my beloved number 6 guy or my worthless number 1?" I like the negotiation, begging, pleading and deal-making that naturally arises as each player takes turns deciding where they will send the sharks and sea monsters and whales.

I DISLIKE the limited player number of the game. Having a 5th player would be fun and the extra chaos and chum in the waters would be fun and would suit my game group. (Incidentally, one of my friends felt the game occasionally drags a little for what it is, I never felt that, but something to keep in mind). There is a not insignificant element of luck in the game (from both the randomised tile placement and taking and the dice rolls which decide how or what beasties you can/cannot control at the end of your turn). This can be a source of fun and tension in the game (for me) or a source of frustration (for my loser friend), so keep that in mind if you are one of the unfortunate few who is not blessed by the gods of fate.

77,334 out of 10,002.
Great game for the family, or friends who are into a simple, fun game and don't mind a bit of a luck and a slightly longer light game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice little review... but do you know there is actually a 5-6 player mini expansion available on many online stores and on the geek store?

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! 5-6 Player Mini Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it with 5 and it was fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
Did not know that! Awesome! I'll check out the expansion. Sounds fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Codarin
Italy
Udine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
while you are at it i suggest you get all 3 miniexpansion to have the complete experience!

5-6 player exp. and Dolphins and dive dice are a must IMO

squids are optional but i'd get them too for an extra 5$ so you have the complete experience!

This game is one of my favourite and i play always with 6 players!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.