Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of Shub-Niggurath's mysteries has you place 4 eldritch tokens on the board and as an encounter, if you pass an observation test, you can spend two clues to put the eldritch token on the mystery. Tokens equal to half the number of investigators and you solve it.

However, when you solve the mystery, it tells you to "remove all eldritch tokens from the board".

Is it referring to any remaining eldritch tokens related to that mystery, or ALL of them on the board for any reason (most typically rumors)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
One of Shub-Niggurath's mysteries has you place 4 eldritch tokens on the board (...) However, when you solve the mystery, it tells you to "remove all eldritch tokens from the board".
Are sure it says so? This would be a completely redundant text. Can you tell the name of the Mystery you're writing about?

cervantes3773 wrote:
Is it referring to any remaining eldritch tokens related to that mystery, or ALL of them on the board for any reason (most typically rumors)?
1) If it says "all", it means "all". This game is very literal.
2) While Eldritch tokens are lying on the board, the game has no way to differentiate those that were put there by one effect, from others put there by different effect.
3) Can you name a single rumor that puts Eldritch Tokens on encounter spaces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:

Rumor eldritch tokens - as specified by the icon bar at the top of the rumors - are placed on the Rumor card itself, not on the board. So the Mystery in question wouldn't have you remove those - it just means those eldritch tokens assigned to actual spaces on the board.

Similarly, if this text appeared on an Azathoth mystery, it wouldn't remove the Eldritch tokens on the Green space of the Omen track - but if it appeared on a Cthulhu mystery, it would remove all tokens placed in Sea spaces by reckoning effects and your exploration.

For Shub, I doubt you'll have any other eldritch tokens on the board. The most critical thing is that Rumors put the tokens on the card, not the space you have to go to to solve the Rumor, and the Rumor card doesn't count as part of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
cervantes3773 wrote:
One of Shub-Niggurath's mysteries has you place 4 eldritch tokens on the board (...) However, when you solve the mystery, it tells you to "remove all eldritch tokens from the board".
Are sure it says so? This would be a completely redundant text. Can you tell the name of the Mystery you're writing about?

cervantes3773 wrote:
1) If it says "all", it means "all". This game is very literal.
2) While Eldritch tokens are lying on the board, the game has no way to differentiate those that were put there by one effect, from others put there by different effect.
3) Can you name a single rumor that puts Eldritch Tokens on encounter spaces?

Fairly certain, though I don't have the card on me nor have I read it since last night. Solving the mystery requires tokens equal the half the number of investigators. I was playing with 4, so it would have required 2 of the 4 eldritch tokens.

1) Yeah, I figured as much. I know Azathoth has you place an eldritch token on the green omen symbol, but this wasn't a Shub-Niggurath mystery, so those won't happen together.

2) I agree there.

3) No, but I've only played a few times and I'm certain I haven't seen all the rumors. However, eldritch tokens on a mythos card are distinct from those on the game board, so the eldritch tokens on the rumor card related to the spider epic monster in Greenland would be unaffected by solving that mystery, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:
cervantes3773 wrote:
Not completely redundant at all, do the Maths: 4 Eldritch Tokens, solved by half Investigator count tokens on Mystery. You could have some left after solving the Mystery depending on party size.

I'd say that all mean all wrt Eldritch Tokens - I suspect that they are only deployed on the board by Mysteries. They tend to be put on the Card by Mythos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
haroth9842 wrote:
cervantes3773 wrote:
Not completely redundant at all, do the Maths: 4 Eldritch Tokens, solved by half Investigator count tokens on Mystery (...)
It would be redundant because it's a default rule so it doesn't need to be repeated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However it's worded, I think we can all agree that any statement the Mystery makes about what to do after it's solved is meant to just be a reminder to clean up its own mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.