5 Posts

Dark Dealings» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A quick word about expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After 30 plays of the base game, we finally tried adding the expansions.

My first try was with the Overlords in the solitaire luck-less variant made official on these forums.
I must say the Overlords can be completely useless for this variant. I first had one that I did not use at all, and then (on my second game) drew Bellatrix, which lets you choose your defense before anyone else by using a hero with less than 25 as its challenge value. While this is incredibly useful in multiplayer, it is basically useless in the mode I was playing. I thus redrew and got Sanki, the Flame, which is a wild defense that can strike only once but for three damage.

And I managed to AT LAST win this mode thanks to him/her, as one of my heroes was a Wizard with exactly three that I couldn't beat. Wow. This felt good.
In solitaire, Overlords are a mixed bag of good and useless that should be trimmed before you use them. It has been mentioned by the designer, and I tend to agree that the Overlord which lets you draw select which one, among the top two heroes of your pile, you want to fight first, should be very, very useful when playing this variant.

I then played a two player game with my regular gaming partner and also significant other, who finally got to beat me at least two times in a row. We used the Overlords, the Gnome, the Dragons, and the new defenses.

I had an Overlord which would let me draw two heroes from the hero pile after drawing mine, and choose one of the three to fight, but didn't use him. My opponent had Samantha, which makes your hero vulnerable to every attack.

There was a lot of dragon warriors involved, and only one gnome illusionist, which I took. We also had some interactive defenses, and a few hybrid ones.

I won that game despite my three dragon warrior. I must admit I was lucky, as everytime I flipped a defense, it was either a multi-type one, or a shortcut. The dragon warrior becomes invulnerable to whatever you flip when it shows up! My opponent was not so lucky, and flipped a trap when she had nothing but traps available to fight her warrior! That's when the Overlord came in handy.

As for the gnome, well, I had enough material to dispatch it easily, but I could see how those can become trouble!

The interactive defenses were very interesting, as you have a lot of memorizing to do if you really want to get the most out of it. My opponent made me put the hero that was on the top of my draw pile at the bottom, without knowing what it was, and it might have cost her the game. It was a Berserker, and I would have had to sacrifice my fair share of defenses to get it. Spoiler alert: I couldn't beat it as my eighth hero! But I could defeat the seven other and this was sufficient

I tried to lock out one of her big hitters with my interactive defense, and forced her into rotating another one, but it so happened that she needed it... Only, the turn after the one I locked it! Er. A good fight's better I guess

As for the flexible defenses, well... They're very good cannon fodder for wizards and halflings

I only played these once but it added so much to the game, made even more complex, even more puzzly, but also more fun and more interactive, that I want to play them everytime I play Dark Dealings now, regardless of how many times my opponents have played before (and boy do I suck with 3+ players!!! Having nothing but easy heroes is a real pain)

There are more difficulties involved with the expansions, more betting if you take the dragon warriors, more to think about if you take the gnome illusionist, and more memorizing to do if you use the interactive defenses. But there are also many more ways out, thanks to the Overlords and the flexible defenses.

All the powers are interesting. It adds a new layer of depth to a game I already loved.

The only negative thing I could say about the expansions is that I wish the dragon warrior and the gnome illusionist would also have their male or female counterpart, as in the base game. But I love the new backgrounds, and I can't wait for my next Dark Dealings game, and for the future expansions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you liked the expansions. They were fun to create. The goal was to try and make you think a new way for heavh hero and give you new tools with each defense. The Overlords are my favorite though, I love individual player powers. And as good as the art is everywhere else, Rob blew it out of the water with these cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MonkeyGoose wrote:
Glad you liked the expansions. They were fun to create. The goal was to try and make you think a new way for heavh hero and give you new tools with each defense. The Overlords are my favorite though, I love individual player powers. And as good as the art is everywhere else, Rob blew it out of the water with these cards.

Yup. I love the art on those and how different they look. It makes you feel more unique. I hope you'll design more of them in the future. I like it when designers make the most out of each of their mechanics

Which makes me wonder: any news on the digital artbook? I'd love to change my wallpapers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
Co-founder of Nevermore Games. Follow me on Twitter @bryanfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
MonkeyGoose wrote:

Yup. I love the art on those and how different they look. It makes you feel more unique. I hope you'll design more of them in the future. I like it when designers make the most out of each of their mechanics

Which makes me wonder: any news on the digital artbook? I'd love to change my wallpapers

Hi Raz,

The digital artbook should be in everyone's hands in the next two weeks.

Bryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bryan Fischer wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
MonkeyGoose wrote:

Hi Raz,

The digital artbook should be in everyone's hands in the next two weeks.

Bryan

Yup, saw that in the awesome updated you just posted on Kickstarter. That's great news! Thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.